OK, sorry for the extremely noobish question but how exactly should I hook up my fx loop? I have a chromatic tuner, noise suppressor and delay and I want to run it through my loop.

Do I do this...
1.) Hook up a cable to the FX Send at the back of the amp and connect that cable to the far left pedal...
2.) Put my pedals in a chain from left to right
3.) Connect another cable from the far right pedal to the FX return at the back of the amp.
4.) Connect a cable from the amp input to the guitar...

Again, sorry for my 11 noob level, but any help is appreciated

Peavey 6505+
Les Paul Custom Silverburst

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Black Label Society 3/7/09
Black Label Society 5/4/09
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Quote by forty6and2
OK, sorry for the extremely noobish question but how exactly should I hook up my fx loop? I have a chromatic tuner, noise suppressor and delay and I want to run it through my loop.

Do I do this...
1.) Hook up a cable to the FX Send at the back of the amp and connect that cable to the far left pedal...
2.) Put my pedals in a chain from left to right
3.) Connect another cable from the far right pedal to the FX return at the back of the amp.
4.) Connect a cable from the amp input to the guitar...

Again, sorry for my 11 noob level, but any help is appreciated

If you have an effects loop, thats where I'd run the supressor and delay. the tuner should go guitar > tuner > amp>*effects loop* Supressor > Delay i would think
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
*amp send>effects1>effect2>effect3>amp return*

tuner should go from the guitar
guitar>tuner>amp*effect loop*
Last edited by supersac at Jun 23, 2011,
Send-->Input pedal on the right-->chain the pedals up-->Output of last pedal goes to FX loop return.
Quote by supersac
*amp send>effects1>effect2>effect3>amp return*

tuner should go from the guitar
guitar>tuner>amp*effect loop*

OK, that almost makes sense. How can I connect the tuner to the amp effect loop if the effect 1, 2, and 3 are going into the effect return?

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Quote by forty6and2
OK, that almost makes sense. How can I connect the tuner to the amp effect loop if the effect 1, 2, and 3 are going into the effect return?

He just means put the tuner in front of the amp.

It doesn't go in the effects loop at all.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

ahh ok. yeah i just looked up some youtube videos of how to do it and it makes much more sense. thanks for the replies

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Quote by Raijouta

Pretty much this.

Just think of it this way, the FX send is like, you're sending a copy of your preamp signal before it hits the power amp, and your FX return is like your on ramp to the highway, it sends your modified preamp signal into the power amp.

Like this..

_________
_____/

With the dash being the on ramp, now, when you hook something into the FX return, it cuts the straight signal to the power amp, and thus what's running through your effects loop becomes your bridged path to the power amp, like this.

_____ ..._____
_____\_/
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jun 24, 2011,
One mroe question... do the pedals go left to right or right to left? So is the first pedal in the chain the one on the far left or the far right?

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Quote by forty6and2
One mroe question... do the pedals go left to right or right to left? So is the first pedal in the chain the one on the far left or the far right?

Your sending from the amp right? Think of the amp as your guitar at this point, the amp is sending a signal like your guitar would be, so you would go from the FX send into the input of your pedal, the the output of that pedal into the FX return, or into another pedal.

So the FX loop is kinda backwards from how you would run it in front of the amp like with your guitar to the amp.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Your sending from the amp right? Think of the amp as your guitar at this point, the amp is sending a signal like your guitar would be, so you would go from the FX send into the input of your pedal, the the output of that pedal into the FX return, or into another pedal.

So the FX loop is kinda backwards from how you would run it in front of the amp like with your guitar to the amp.

OK, I got it, thanks!

Now that I know how to hook it up, what order should the pedals go in? I forgot that I have the M5 Line 6 stompbox as well, and reverb. So all in all I have Noise Suppressor, reverb, delay, M5 stompbox, tuner...

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Quote by forty6and2
OK, I got it, thanks!

Now that I know how to hook it up, what order should the pedals go in? I forgot that I have the M5 Line 6 stompbox as well, and reverb. So all in all I have Noise Suppressor, reverb, delay, M5 stompbox, tuner...

The tuner should go in line with your guitar, not in the FX loop.

First pedal I would put the noise gate, second would be delay, then the reverb, then the M5 stopbox, unless that's a distortion or OD, if that's the case then the M5 should go in line with the guitar and amp, and not in the FX loop.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The tuner should go in line with your guitar, not in the FX loop.

First pedal I would put the noise gate, second would be delay, then the reverb, then the M5 stopbox, unless that's a distortion or OD, if that's the case then the M5 should go in line with the guitar and amp, and not in the FX loop.

Cool, yeah thats what I was thinking. Another damn question... just saw a video saying that effect loops should go right to left, not left to right. So then you would be putting the send fx loop to the output of the first pedal on the right, wouldnt it?

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Quote by forty6and2
Cool, yeah thats what I was thinking. Another damn question... just saw a video saying that effect loops should go right to left, not left to right. So then you would be putting the send fx loop to the output of the first pedal on the right, wouldnt it?

If the amp was wired backwards, most amps will have you go left to right, just like reading a book.
edit... nevermind

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10