I have the 1x12 VK Combo amp. Love it, but the Lead channel isn't quite what I need for playing metal. It has strange EQ quirks, and has a very dark muddy sound, as well as not having quite enough distortion for some of the high gain metal songs.

I play just about everything in the Rock/Metal area, the beatles all the way up to Slipknot. But most of the time I play in the area of Black Sabbath or Metallica.

My question is, what can I do to help push it over into metal territory? Preferably under $100.

I've done some reading, and a lot of VK owners recommend a Bad Monkey OD pedal. For $50, that sounds like a good deal. But I'm not too keen on Digitech products, the last one I owned didn't make it very long.

Other options i've looked at are the EH Muffs. I had a Metal Muff for playing with my old SS amp (the only way to play metal, or sound good at all with it), and I really liked that pedal (it broke, the lights turn on but it makes no sound). The controls were very sensitive and easy to tailor to a wide variety of tones, which is a must for me. Which Muff would be the best option for my situation?

Of course, the TS9 Tube Screamer is another one i've looked at.

I don't have a huge budget for this, I have to buy a footswitch for the amp too, the one Guitar Center had for it (it was used) was not for a VK. it's one switch and only turns the gain boost on and off.

What is the best way to go?
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive. Mine complimented the my old vk nicely back in the day.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Maxon TS9(OD9?), it's the same as the Ibanez TS9 but about $60 cheaper, or something along those money lines.

I'd just go with the Bad Monkey, it's not gonna crap out on you just cause it's a digitech pedal. I think digitech, especially the Hardwired series, are excellent pedals for the price.
Is the bad monkey digital?

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
I use a Bad Monkey with my VK and it's great. Without out it my VK doesn't really do metal, but with it on the boost gets it into metal territory nicely. The active pups don't hurt either.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Gonna look on youtube to try to hear some VKs with Monkeys. I'd love to spend $50 on a pedal rather than 80 or 100.

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
I have stuff on Youtube using my TS9, which sounds very close to what the Bad Monkey will do for your tone. I have a Valveking as well, so I know perfectly well what it's capable of, and it can do metal, just not super tight metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LJ-AvTa4aM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIhVJ91ALdk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTew3EmSYfQ
Very nice. Love what you did with your valveking with the wood. It looks sweet.

If the Bad Monkey is as good as all the videos I've looked at make it seem, and is close to what your TS9 does, then $50 is a really good deal.

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
Digitech Bad Monkey seems to be almost universally praised as the best pedal of choice for VK's in the Valveking Thread. TS9 or Maxon 808 would work well too.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Any Tubescreamer or Tubescreamer derivative, such as the Bad Monkey, will do what you want very well.

And no, the Bad Monkey is not digital.

The Cool Cat Transparent OD is another idea if you want something with a bit less character to retain more of the amp's characteristics. Don't let the looks of the pedal fool you, the tone is for real. It's a derivative of the Paul C. Timmy pedal, a very respected piece of work there. The Cool Cat Transparent OD isn't too shabby for what it costs, despite the crappy-looking casing of the pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. yeah it will cost you $100 but it will give you what you want. does the tubescreamer thing and has a mod switch that kicks up the gain. also has a highly responsive 2 band eq. i have a VK 112 and play strats so i need the extra punch for metal, this pedal does and sounds great.