Alright guys i'm looking for some info on the different types of guitar finishes. I know nitro is applied really thin and cracks/chips easily and therefore wears rather quickly.

So my main question is what is the difference between polyester and polyurethane finishes and will they wear? I love the look of an old beat up strat but have just purchased a polyester finished strat.

So will it ever wear? Will it wear faster or slower than polyurethane? Is there anything I can do to speed up he process like by not cleaning it or am I going to have a strat that looks brand new forever?

Thanks for the help
polyester finishes are designed to be relatively thick and quite dense. thats how they protect the wood. polyurethane is very much the same idea, with just a slightly different chemical compound.

they won't age the way a nitro finish will, the chemical properties of the two products are vastly different, thus they react differently to environmental factors, time, abuse etc. additionally, polyester is designed to be hard to wear through and resistant to abuse. thats why guitar manufacturers use it. therefore, it is highly unlikely that your guitar will develop the sort of look you're thinking of.

just play it
From what I've read the reason why older nitro finishes are more prone to checking is that they use less plasticizer in the mix. New Gibsons are less likely to check. As for thickness some Gibsons use thicker coats than others. I believe the faded series use a thinner coat. Also some companies use thinner poly coats than others. I think PRS uses a very thin poly coat.

Your new strat will most likely stay new looking for a long time unless you abuse it hard.
Quote by philwhite
From what I've read the reason why older nitro finishes are more prone to checking is that they use less plasticizer in the mix. New Gibsons are less likely to check. As for thickness some Gibsons use thicker coats than others. I believe the faded series use a thinner coat. Also some companies use thinner poly coats than others. I think PRS uses a very thin poly coat.

Your new strat will most likely stay new looking for a long time unless you abuse it hard.

PRS still has Nitro on some models. There have never been any reports of checking on them that I've ever seen. I have 2 models with Nitro and 3 with Poly. I love both types.