Page 1 of 2
I have went to this Sam Ash for a little over a year, but there was a new employee there this time....

I went into Sam Ash today and this tool employee came over trying to sell my a MArshall slash signature. He was a serious know it all. When I plugged my guitar into an amp, I was about to play some Metallica riffs and eq'd the amp. and he comes over and turns my eq knobs all at 5 (without asking) and says "you see, you want mid range, the guitar is a mid-range instrument".

I started to get pissed. I told him "I know that, scooping mids sounds great for certain things, not good for other things ,and I just did it because I was about to play Metallica, I already know how EQ works." He then walked away. This tool actually tried to school me on how I should EQ...I didn't come here to here how YOU think I should EQ, just leave me the hell alone.

Then after I played on that amp for a little while I asked him if they had a Mesa Dual Rec. He went and checked and said he didn't have any in stock. But yet again, he HAD to add his little input. He said "personally I think Mesas and overpriced and overrated". As if I cared what his opinion of the amp I asked for. My cousin was with me and I looked at him and he shook his head. This employee then proceeds to try to sell me that slash amp again, which i kept saying no.

Then my cousin goes and looks at a Jackson Dinky. My cousin asks for them to get it from the top of the wall. He tells my cousin before he grabs it, "ya, I am more of PRS kinda guy"

Did this mother***er who just called Mesa overpriced just mention that he loves PRS? Oh the irony.......

Complete moron.
Last edited by hoosierxhoosier at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Cool story bro...there's nothing wrong with Mesa and PRS's, they both coincidentally sound great together.

I love both PRS and Mesa, its just this guy was an idiot.
neat
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
I'd say the guy sounds more annoying than idiotic. Either way, he's probably not bitching about the incident to his co workers, let alone on a forum. So he wins by default.
Quote by darkwolf291
TBH, Recs suck imo.
Too loose and spongy.
They are way overpriced imo.
I wouldn't pay $1 for one.
" I don't like it, that means it sucks"

Love you people.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Quote by darkwolf291
TBH, Recs suck imo.
Too loose and spongy.

Hasn't metallica used them since Master of Puppets? That sound is pure tightness.
Quote by darkwolf291
TBH, Recs suck imo.
Too loose and spongy.

Then you're an idiot. You wouldn't pay $1 for an amp you could turn around and sell immediately for at least $1000?

I understand you're trying to make a point...but...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Last edited by SLonergan at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by Iommianity
I'd say the guy sounds more annoying than idiotic. Either way, he's probably not bitching about the incident to his co workers, let alone on a forum. So he wins by default.

Ya maybe I meant annoying. Not idiotic. But its people like him that make me despise going into these big guitar shops.
I'm inclined to guess this was in Indianapolis, yes? If so, yeah I've never had any luck there at all...most of the time theyre about like that.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by darkwolf291
Ok seriously dude...you went out on a limb with that.
I would turn it for cash, but, to be honest, it don't want one.
I don't even begin to like the tone of them.
I was making a point.

I would love one over my Valveking, that's for sure....Don't know about you.
TS: Bitching about this on a forum isn't going to help...I agree that the guy sounded a little pushy, but he certainly had a point about the EQ. Reading some of your other posts, I'd put my money on him being able to EQ better than you.

Don't bite his head off for giving you advice. Even if it was delivered in a pushy way.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Look, I believe he was just trying to help you out. At least when he tried to EQ your amp, he might have just assumed you weren't that experienced.
i've never played a Mesa i've enjoyed. i don't think i've ever played a PRS, so i can't say anything there. but, one thing about trying amps... ALWAYS try the amp with everything at noon first. if you don't have an idea what the base town of the amp is, there is no way you'll be able to properly EQ it.

that being said, electric guitar does belong in the midrange. have you ever had to mix sound for a rock or metal band, either live, at practice, or on recordings? if the guitars are midscooped, it's damn near impossible. the guitars get drowned out by the bass and bass drums on the low end, and on the high end by the cymbals. just ask any sound engineer and they will tell you the same thing.

also, interestingly enough, your talk of Metallica and the style of your post bring to mind another thread by a user named "xxhoosierxx" which is quite similar to yours. maybe a mod would like to look at that thread?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by darkwolf291
I have a spider.
I'd take my spider over it.

Owned a Line 6 spider 150 watt. Terrible amp. Was my first though.
Quote by darkwolf291
I have a spider.

Refer to my earlier post.

Quote by SLonergan
Then you're an idiot.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by darkwolf291
I have a spider.

Can't tell if trolling or just incredibly stupid.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
at least he isn't a tool bitching about it on an online forum
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by darkwolf291
HERP DERP SPIDER SUCKS
It's actually decent at low volume with a pedal in front if you know how to EQ it right.

(insert comment about how the spider sucks and im trying to sound cool by bashing the spider here)
Quote by Iommianity

This.
I have a much tighter and crunchier tone than I could have with a Rec.
It's nowhere near the best, but I like it more than I like a Rec's tone.
It's not like I'm saying "HERP DERP THE SPIDER SOUNDS BETTER THAN A REC"
Im sayin I prefer the tone I've coaxed from my spider to that of the Recs I've tried.
Nothing wrong with a Rec, just don't like the tone. I prefer a crunchier, tighter tone.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by darkwolf291
I have a much tighter and crunchier tone than I could have with a Rec.
It's nowhere near the best, but I like it more than I like a Rec's tone.

Dude, you're new to guitar. If you seriously believe that your Spider is getting you a better tone than a Mesa Dual Rec, your ears need to mature.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Dude, you're new to guitar. If you seriously believe that your Spider is getting you a better tone than a Mesa Dual Rec, your ears need to mature.

I've been playing long enough for my ears to develop for tone.
I know as much about tone as anyone here.
I just like ****ing with people when I get bored
I'd take a Spider over a Dual Rec. I would love to piss all over the Dual Rec
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by darkwolf291
I have a spider.

I doubt that, ok, hows this for Mesa?

Road King? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfahRmsLfJU&feature=related

Dual Rec? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyRRfaqhY5g&feature=related

Mark IV? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7bdLMs1m10&feature=related

Mark V? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEorjsCvlTQ&feature=related

You can't tell me Mesa's are loose saggy amps, they are only loose and saggy with those who do not choose to spend the time to EQ them, and get the tone, the amps are capable of lots of tones, some loose, some tight.

I'd like to see your spider do what these Mesa's do.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'd like to see your spider do what these Mesa's do.

they are trolling you, if you havent noticed
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Page 1 of 2