Ok, my amp crapped out on me, so I've been working on my acoustic tone, and my recorded tone. I'm just using a SM-58 with the grill cap off, have the thing pointed right at the edge of the fretboard near the soundhole, it's just lying on my desk cause I can't get it at the right height any other way, my mic amp is a AudioChoice QM4, going line out into the line in on my soundcard, which has always served me well.

I have a bass guitar running the back to thicken up the acoustic, but to me it still seems to be lacking that low end hit that people can get out of acoustic, and I know my guitar has plenty of low end, if anything it has too much.

Anybody have any idea? Here's a sample of what I got going atm.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play1014053
the problem is both in your placement of the mic, and the mic itself (more the second).

you shouldn't point the mic at the sound hole. thats generally thought of as bad technique because you get a "boomy" sound. the fact that you didn't should tell you your mic isn't made for recording acoustic guitars. cabs sure. but really its more of a live mic. if you actually want to capture the soul of an acoustic, you're going to need something more sensitive.

most people go with condenser mics for acoustic guitars.

EDIT: sorry, i thought you had it at the fretboard and pointed at the soundhole. regardless, you're not going to capture it much better if you did that. if i were you, i might try to bring it up closer to the body, slightly off axis. maybe about 45 degrees and place it between the sound hole and where the fretboard starts. thats about all i can think of to try and get more low end out of it.

other than that, try playing with EQ. definitely edit out those highs and lower the mids. you'll then get the appearance of more bass.
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by supersac
i like the sound...maybe eq more bass in?

you shouldn't ever add things, especially bass. (dont fight me on this, there are times that call for it, but yeah...). it makes it harder on any effects (compression being the biggest) that are trying to process.
Yeah, I know my set ups not great, but it's the best I got. I'll try the 45 degree angle thing, I haven't tired that, I normally do that with my cabs, but I figured that the sound was projected more straight forward out of the sound hole rather than at an angle like speakers tend to do.
when i record acoustics, i generally angle them just slightly. i just find it warms up the sound. however there are times when i dont. depends on the situation really.

but yeah. like i said, whats really going to make the difference for you is going to be the EQing afterward. seriously, spend some time and try cutting different frequency ranges.