Since I graduated high school and all, I thought it was time to decide a career path for myself. A lot of kids I know had their college of choice and major scoped out by the time they were sophomores or juniors. Not me.

After weeks of thinking, I decided I would be interested in flying helicopters for a living. The pay is good and at the moment there is a high demand for pilots. It's the only thing that has truly interested me and trust me, I have been wondering what I should be doing with my life for a while now and this is the only thing that really stuck. My dads friend who was a former pilot just got done talking with a few of his pilot friends and they were telling my dad it could be a waste to spend money on flight school since all the vets are coming back from the Middle East and those pilots would have first priority over me when it comes to getting a job. This discouraged me for 30 minutes, but I got back to thinking that I shouldn't quit on this because it is something that really enthuses me...

ANYWAY, does anyone have any information to help me? It may be a long shot, but I'm hoping somebody may have some advice to help out or have any experiences they can share if they know anybody in the whole helicopter/flight business. I researched many websites and I know I have to get my commercial license, I know it's best to have an associates degree, but other than that I don't have a huge idea.

tl;dr: I wanna be a pilot. Got any words of wisdom?
LARGE TEXT
If you ever see a large mountain thing infront of you, make sure to pull back of the stick.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Try and pilot cool people, like celebrities and shit. Go to A-list parties and fuck famous chicks.
Fly close over water. I looks cool.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Go for it, you could become a successful pilot and love every day of your life having your dream job. Flight school would be expensive but that is probably your only obstacle.
Quote by thebassiestbass
Flight school is expensive, but any job worth having involves expensive training up front
What a silly thing to say.
You have to take an FAA certified medical examination. You have to figure which doctors in your area do that sort of thing. Ever been diagnosed with depression or anything like that?
Quote by thebassiestbass
Flight school is expensive, but any job worth having involves expensive training up front

Earl Scruggs would disagree, what with his job and all.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by due 07
Quit listening to Sublime.

Quit listening to Sublime is always relevant advice, as well as the best advice, in any situation.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by due 07

Prove me wrong. Pilot, brick mason, electrician, teacher, physicist, machinist...the list goes on. The amount of good jobs that require no training is much less than the ones that do require training
Quote by due 07

Um...why? It's true. Doctor: expensive. Lawyer: expensive. College degree: expensive. Master's degree: expensive. Need I go on?

Anyway, TS, I'd say go for it. Yes, there may be some competition from vets, but so what? Go for it anyway. Work hard, learn well, and make cash.
You could always consider the military for it too, skip paying for flight school maybe, not sure how helicopter training goes in the military though.
Join the Army and fly for 160th SOAR. They're the best helicopter pilots in the military. That experience would follow you for the rest of your life, as anybody who's anybody in the helicopter piloting world would know the skill level of SOAR pilots.

That being said, you'd have to become a regular helicopter pilot first and then try out for 160th, can't go straight in as far as I know.

If you're averse to joining the military, then I have no experience/knowledge in that area and I can't really help ya man
My God, it's full of stars!
There really isn't that high of a demand for pilots and it's a very competitive field, most companies either prefer or require a college degree in aviation. I know this is all true for fixed wing aircraft, I'm not too sure about rotary wing jobs, but I imagine its about the same or moreso considering they're a bit more complicated and such. Google it and see what companies require and everything.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Quote by grungebaby
There really isn't that high of a demand for pilots and it's a very competitive field, most companies either prefer or require a college degree in aviation. I know this is all true for fixed wing aircraft, I'm not too sure about rotary wing jobs, but I imagine its about the same or moreso considering they're a bit more complicated and such. Google it and see what companies require and everything.

Well I was reading up and it's suggested that you have at least an associates degree to get a job. Like you mentioned, I also hear it is good to have a degree in aviation. The problem with that is that not many colleges offer degrees in aviation and I'd have to find a college that specializes in all that aviation/aerodynamic stuff. I need to research that more in depth.

And for whoever suggested the military, it's not as easy as it sounds. I have to score high on several tests, I need to be an officer, and I'd need to serve time for a couple of years before I can even be considered to be a pilot. Since the government spends a million dollars on the training for each individual pilot, it's no wonder that they're picky with the requirements.
LARGE TEXT
Move to a country that doesn't have a load of well-trained, experienced chopper pilots flocking back to it.