Ive been looking to experiment lately and i was wondering if anyone knew any good alternate tunings other then the usual half step down, drop d, etc.
DADFsharpAD.
Or the tuning used in 'Iris' by Goo Goo Dolls - BDDDDD.
Well, I tune to Drop A# and use the 5th string like I would with a normal EADGBE standard tuning. Means I can play opethy, cannibal corpsy sounding drop tuned riffs and still play some megadeth and slayer on the next string. It's a smart concoction I tell you!!!
Last edited by Naruto00121 at Jun 24, 2011,
Any open tuning is great for experimenting, probably not for metal though. Also, if you're feeling really adventurous, try Lou Reed's ostrich tuning. DDDDDD.
REGGIE
I'm currently experimenting a bit with AADGBE. (an example for this would be Thrice - The Earth will Shake).

But I guess it would be better to just buy a 7-string eventually.
Open D5 and open G tuning. Also, you can make up your own tunings - nothing is impossible.
Yeah
Quote by LeakyFlask
Any open tuning is great for experimenting, probably not for metal though. Also, if you're feeling really adventurous, try Lou Reed's ostrich tuning. DDDDDD.

Sir, you have a telephone call. A Mr Devin Townsend would like to speak with you.
I use primarily open G on all my slide instruments, as that's a key I can sing in comfortably. Some folks have a good head for keeping track of a lot of alternate tunings, and some don't.

Stephen Stills was famous for his use of same, seems he had a different guitar in a different tuning for every song. Joni Mitchell experimented with a lot of strange stuff as well.
Personally, I have enough trouble keeping track of what's where with standard but if your mind works that way it's a great area for producing different sounds.
One of my favorite guys, James McMurtry, uses a lot of alternate tunings.
Esus4 can be a lot of fun. It's standard tuning with the 3rd and 4th strings tuned up a full step (be careful doing this--it breaks strings like a mofo). Open D and DADGAD are also good.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
How about play around with quarter-tone? not sure how that would work on a guitar though.. perhaps detune every other string just a little bit?
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
Last edited by Bongmaster at Jun 24, 2011,
Here's one I made up.

D# G C F A# D

Open D#major13
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Bongmaster
How about play around with quarter-tone? not sure how that would work on a guitar though.. perhaps detune every other string just a little bit?

Wouldn't that be kind of pointless? You would still only be able to play with semitone intervals, just slightly out of tune.
Tear the frets out of your neck instead!
REGGIE
I also vote for DADGAD, it sounds like the ocean. Dsus4 chord when openly strummed.
Quote by LeakyFlask
Wouldn't that be kind of pointless? You would still only be able to play with semitone intervals, just slightly out of tune.
Tear the frets out of your neck instead!

Excellent point sir. He could play with an open string and fret the other.. anyway..
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
CGCGCe Is a fun tuning. And great for metal.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?