Ok, so i got a chord progression i like in the key of D. The chords are simply D, A, Em, G with a work in progress chorus of Bm, D, A, G

Theory has really flummoxed me in the past and i struggle to get my head round it.

What would be a good scale to improvise over the top?

I know how to play the major scale and pentatonic scale.
Keep it simple and use D major and B minor. You would be modulating to the aeolian mode if the key of the song is in D so just play B minor for the main solo. Easy.
Try the Dorian mode (D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D) starting on the 10th fret of the low E-string. It's a minor scale with all naturals. Switch in with the Aeolian scale (A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A) starting on the 5th fret low E, Which is also minor and all natural. I probably wouldn't play the Locrian scale (B-C-D-E-F-G-A-B) cuz it's neither minor nor major despite it's minor 3rd (Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.)
Even if you don't agree with my contrasting opinions at least you have the solemn comfort of knowing that your differing point-of-views are wrong.
Quote by Eternal Decay
Try the Dorian mode (D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D) starting on the 10th fret of the low E-string. It's a minor scale with all naturals. Switch in with the Aeolian scale (A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A) starting on the 5th fret low E, Which is also minor and all natural. I probably wouldn't play the Locrian scale (B-C-D-E-F-G-A-B) cuz it's neither minor nor major despite it's minor 3rd (Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.)

No. Just, no. No. No.

"Ok, so i got a chord progression i like in the key of D. The chords are simply D, A, Em, G with a work in progress chorus of Bm, D, A, G"

D and Bm have an F#. A has a C#. They'd conflict crazily with any of those - those are based on C major. You're working completely in the wrong key trying hard to understand modes. Just no, though. No.

I agree with the above, just stick to D major/B minor. You should really learn your major/minor scales and both of those pentatonics before you worry about writing solos, though, and those scales should be learned all over the fretboard so you don't get stuck at the 10th fret position.
modes are a social construct
Last edited by Hail at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by Hail
No. Just, no. No. No.

"Ok, so i got a chord progression i like in the key of D. The chords are simply D, A, Em, G with a work in progress chorus of Bm, D, A, G"

D and Bm have an F#. A has a C#. They'd conflict crazily with any of those - those are based on C major. You're working completely in the wrong key trying hard to understand modes. Just no, though. No.

I agree with the above, just stick to D major/B minor. You should really learn your major/minor scales and both of those pentatonics before you worry about writing solos, though, and those scales should be learned all over the fretboard so you don't get stuck at the 10th fret position.

Mm okay so perhaps a Ionian mode in the key of D major, (D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D)
Even if you don't agree with my contrasting opinions at least you have the solemn comfort of knowing that your differing point-of-views are wrong.
Last edited by Eternal Decay at Jun 24, 2011,
Thanks guys, i juts discovered an amazing website for this sort of stuff for thickos like me and it saying the Dmajor and Bminor are a winner along with G Lydian(?).

I'll have a faff about tonight and see what i can come up with.

Thanks for your helpful and friendly advice
Quote by Naruto00121
Keep it simple and use D major and B minor. You would be modulating to the aeolian mode if the key of the song is in D so just play B minor for the main solo. Easy.

Yep, nice and easy way that will sound good:

- D major scale

and

- B minor pentatonic

Good luck!

Steve
Quote by LivinJoke84
Ok, so i got a chord progression i like in the key of D. The chords are simply D, A, Em, G with a work in progress chorus of Bm, D, A, G

Theory has really flummoxed me in the past and i struggle to get my head round it.

What would be a good scale to improvise over the top?

I know how to play the major scale and pentatonic scale.

Key of D Major - No Modes! Ignore anyone that used the word mode, even though I am sure they meant well. This is their way of relating a scale shape to an approach but that isnt modal or modulation.

They are all from the Key of D Major. Play D Maj Pent or D Major.

Its a I V ii IV and vi I V VI in D

Theory would really help. If you're being "flummoxed" by this, I do teach this online. At least you know of an option that's there for you, if you'd like to finally get your head and understanding of theory down, either now or at some point in the future (although I'm closing to new enrollments soon, so that I can best manage my student size)

Good luck,

Sean