Good Evening all you guitar genius's, i was thinking of replacing my Gibson explorer's 500t bridge pickups with a set of invaders. what is the professional opinion on this matter? the 500t's are beefy but i want more chunk for hard rock, if that's possible haha and apparently the invaders are designed for this job.
Any help is appreciated
SD Invaders would be overkill for hard rock imo. Try the duncan JB, duncan custom 5 or a dimarzio tone zone
Invader pushes you into metal territory quite easily. I'll +1 the custom 5 and JB as good choices for hard rock
Yeah, the 500T is more like a Custom 5 than an Invader. I'd advise the Custom 5 over the JB though as apparently they work better with shorter scale, mahogany guitars. Alternatively, you could try replacing the magnets in your 500Ts with alnico ones?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
What's the reason you want to change pickups?
What is lacking in your tone?
BTW, what amp do you have?
hey, thanks for the info, the 500t's running through an orange ad30 but they arent tight enough too fuzzy you know haha, ive tried an ibanez with invaders in it on the orange and was like wow it made up for it entirely and was so much tighter, should have specified earlier that its hardrock and metal so if that helps a bit more. Im really looking for a tighter punchier tone something that you can feel the difference while playing. on my explorer im running 52's to 11's strings which helped witha more solid tone. But not so much as a different pickup did
Try running an OD pedal in front of the Orange to tighten up the tone.
You can buy something like a Digitech Bad Monkey for 50$. Costs less, tightens up the tone and you don't have to mess with changing pickups.
BTW your lower gain and clean stuff won't suffer from overly high ouput pickups.
At least give the OD-method a try.
+1, an od would be the thing to try before trying more awkward mods.

heck if you can bring your amp to a shop (or better yet, find a shop with your amp in stock), try a bunch of ods and if they don't do what you want, then you can consider the pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
EDIT:
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 24, 2011,
what now? ceramics are normally pretty tight, if anything alnico is looser (everything else being equal, of course)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Emperor's Child
Ceramics are renowned for being a bit loose. Changing to alnico magnets is probably your cheapest option. Alnico 5 (or possibly 8). Isn't the Invader a bit too hot for hard rock?

No they aren't, they're renowned for being tight, that's why most of the high output pickups use ceramic magnets. Alnico 2 is loose, Alnico 5 is somewhere inbetween.

TS, the Invader is a muddy mess, don't put one anywhere near your guitar. Look at the Custom 5 or the Custom - it all depends on how tight and modern you want things to be.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Duncan Distortions are a good choice for getting more chunk. They are essentially a JB with ceramic mags instead of alnico.
my bad, it's the other way around, but why would his 500T sound so muddy then? I still think Customs (or something similar) would be the best option for pickups
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
my bad, it's the other way around, but why would his 500T sound so muddy then? I still think Customs (or something similar) would be the best option for pickups

Maybe it's the amp?
Of course higher output pickups would sound tighter, but Oranges aren't exactly known to be tight sounding amps as far as I know.
Hmm... maybe TS should try a different guitar through his amp? and then decide whether he needs a new amp instead
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
yeah i mentioned earlier that i did try another guitar through the amp and it had sh6 invaders and it made it sound amazing! I have a maxon od9 which was the best to tighten up my tone which i have had for a while but with the orange on moderate gain and with the 500t i just got really bad feedback, not like good feedback but bad! But with the sh's i got no feedback and a sound that was so tight it was incredible and id hate to have to hack up my explorer to improve the tone
Quote by imbeingserious
yeah i mentioned earlier that i did try another guitar through the amp and it had sh6 invaders and it made it sound amazing! I have a maxon od9 which was the best to tighten up my tone which i have had for a while but with the orange on moderate gain and with the 500t i just got really bad feedback, not like good feedback but bad! But with the sh's i got no feedback and a sound that was so tight it was incredible and id hate to have to hack up my explorer to improve the tone

Did you have the TS9 in the signal chain too when playing the guitar with the Invaders (which aren't the SH-6 BTW, the SH-6 is the Duncan Distortion)?
And how do you have your OD set?
Do you use the pedal's gain/drive or just use it as a clean boost with the drive set to 0 and the volume/level set high (as you actually should when boosting the dirty channel of a tube amp)?
hmm i have the amp at mid and the pedal usually around mid gain too, is this wrong? the feedback from the 500t could be an earthing problem but im not sure.
after looking around a bit, it seems the duncan invader will sound pretty muddy and messy if you don't have a good valve amp
Quote by imbeingserious
hmm i have the amp at mid and the pedal usually around mid gain too, is this wrong? the feedback from the 500t could be an earthing problem but im not sure.

you mean you have the gain knob on your od pedal at mid level?

when you use an od pedal to tighten up your sound, you should put gain knob at 0, volume/level knob at 9~10 and the tone knob around 4~6
I heard that the invaders sux
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by imbeingserious

It's wrong, set the pedal gain to ZERO and amp gain as well as volume and tone on your OD to your liking.
Stacking distortion on distortion like you did will most probably generate feedback and it's not "boosting" your amp.
Quote by imbeingserious

it's not wrong, but if you're getting too much gain and feedback you can try rolling it back a bit. and increase the level to compensate.

it's just (and i could be completely wrong here) it sounds like your problem is that the stock pickups aren't hot enough, and while that can be remedied by new pickups, it can also be remedied (more cheaply, considering you already have a ts9) by using a boost.

don't get me wrong- it's entirely possible you just don't like your stock pickups, or maybe they've gone a bit microphonic or something. but it'd be worth trying the boost first, as it won't cost you anything.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Plus he shouldn't look automatically into pickups with HUGE output if he wants good lower gain tones.
yeah, that too.

While I'm not for a second saying that using a boost will make higher output pickups obsolete (as some people seem to say these days)... if you want higher output tones plus versatility, then lower output pickups plus a boost is probably a better idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i tried the other guitar with the pedal exactly the same and it sounded ultimately better than the 500ts it was just 100x tighter than the 500t's. I dont really want to mess with the explorer but ive changed the pedal settings and stuff and the perfect tone was with the sh-8's
Too much 'beef' and not enough 'chunk' sounds typical of Orange amps to me. The 500T is a really harsh pickup and if you're running an OD too then that will only exaggerate it. Most Orange amps don't do tight, high gain tones though, especially when you've got a lot of output. Orange make a couple of tighter amps like the new TH100. The AD range are made to be like just a very slightly higher gain version of Orange's trademark sound which is like a bloated Marshall vibe. If you want 'tightness' and 'chunk' you should be looking at an American-voiced amp instead, something with 6L6 or 6V6 tubes or at least something with a solid state rectifier.
I'm running the 500t through a marshall DSL 50, and it's about as tight as it gets! It cuts right through the mix, it's a solid, chunky tone with absolutely no muddiness...

Running a overdrive pedal will make your problem worse. It might make your sound 'chunkier", but definitely not tight.