Why is it that you can find black people in pretty much any genre of music except classical music? Is there a stigma that it's too 'white' or maybe since black people are statistically poorer they don't have the financial stability to afford expensive instruments to learn? I realize that there are plenty out there, but I never see them in videos on youtube, I never see them in orchestras live, and I rarely see them in the audience.

Before anyone makes some racist comment about black people not being able to understand the complexity of it I got one word for you: Jazz

Enlighten me, Pit.
Check out my band Disturbed
Beethoven was black...........wasn't he?
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
You'll find enough black people listening to it, but perfoming that music is practically reserved for rich snobs, and rich snobs just happen to be white.
Because classical music is generically western.

'classical music' closer to the equator is generally what we'd call 'ethnic' or whatever people call it

And there's plenty, really. Just because you haven't seen them in recordings, doesn't mean they aren't many in symphonies/orchestra's across the world.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
Because classical music is generically western.

'classical music' closer to the equator is generally what we'd call 'ethnic' or whatever people call it

And there's plenty, really. Just because you haven't seen them in recordings, doesn't mean they aren't many in symphonies/orchestra's across the world.

If it's a western thing then why is classical music so immensely popular in China and Japan?

And as I said in OP I realize that there are black people playing in orchestras, but they seem to be completely out of proportion to the population % in the given country. Statistically (in the USA), a full orchestra should have around 13-16 black people in it, but I've never seen that in my life.
Check out my band Disturbed

He did a lot of classical stuff
There's plenty of black people playing classical, although most well-known composers lived when black's were still considered inferior/slaves, so they weren't educated enough back then to actually be composers.
Quote by StewieSwan
Why is it that you can find black people in pretty much any genre of music except classical music? Is there a stigma that it's too 'white' or maybe since black people are statistically poorer they don't have the financial stability to afford expensive instruments to learn? I realize that there are plenty out there, but I never see them in videos on youtube, I never see them in orchestras live, and I rarely see them in the audience.

Before anyone makes some racist comment about black people not being able to understand the complexity of it I got one word for you: Jazz

Enlighten me, Pit.

Personally I don't see how there is a relationship. The same instruments that they're too poor to learn are used in jazz.
There may be an underlying discriminating attitude against it being 'white' music by some, but not all.
Google ftw
I suppose at the time of colonialism there was simply politics determining what rights blacks could have compared to whites. Same applies to women.
Good question. Why so few black people? And female composers?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It's just a cultural thing. Probably the same reason why I don't see say, Indian people playing Classical music either
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Kensai

Genetically inferior brains that cannot handle quantifying notes and complex melodies.
Quote by StewieSwan
If it's a western thing then why is classical music so immensely popular in China and Japan?

And as I said in OP I realize that there are black people playing in orchestras, but they seem to be completely out of proportion to the population % in the given country. Statistically (in the USA), a full orchestra should have around 13-16 black people in it, but I've never seen that in my life.

but then shouldn't the majority of rappers be white?

different genres appeal to different sections of society.

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Genetically inferior brains that cannot handle quantifying notes and complex melodies.

I always thought it was because it was so difficult to cook and compose at the same time.

(ololol)
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It's just preference, it's not inability to get instruments, or formal training. Look at all the great Jazz pianists, expensive instrument, formal training, black. . .
Quote by whitenihilist
Asada is schooling Playmadness.

Quote by Victory2134
Asada confirmed for coolest guy in here.
Quote by Kensai

Probably because there were so few opportunities for blacks/women to be classically trained in music.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by Cianyx
It's just a cultural thing. Probably the same reason why I don't see say, Indian people playing Classical music either

That's because Indian people have their own style of classical music which is completely different to Western classical
Signatureless. And this doesn't count. Because I said so.
Quote by seCrawler
Reggae Philharmonic Orchestra

Never heard of it, but it sounds awesome.
Quote by whitenihilist
Asada is schooling Playmadness.

Quote by Victory2134
Asada confirmed for coolest guy in here.
Quote by korinaflyingv

At first I thought that I'd apparently not realised that Samuel Taylor-Coleridge wrote music and was black

I'll have to listen to him later though, with the Wiki saying he was known as the 'African Mahler'
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch