Dear Ultimate Guitar Enthusiasts,

So lately I've been feeling very un-motivated when it comes to playings guitar. I feel like I am stuck and can't progress or become any better. I don't even think I am at an intermediate level yet. Anyway, i was hoping for any advice i can get, maybe even something inspirational or motivating. I'll give some more info.

I like playing metal, a lot of gain and chugga chugging :P, if you know what i mean. (Children of Bodom, Lamb of God, Pantera, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold, etc etc.) I also like playing solo bluesy style stuff, but i'm not any good at it at all.

My current rig is-
Guitar: ESP LTD F-50 w/ Floyd Rose
Guitar Pedal: Boss ML-2 Metal Core
Amp: Raven RG-20

I can't get a tone I like and when i go to learn a new song i usually jump right into it and start playing and i think this is part of my problem. I get so excited when i learn an intro to a song and then give up because the parts after the intro are too hard(or maybe im a loser and give up too quick).

Anyway, my goals are:
1-Learn more songs from start to finish.
2-Become better at the little bluesy scale soloing improv stuff .
3-Figure out how to get a killer tone for metal but still be able to play blues on the same rig.
4-Learn to play guitar for fun like it was when i first started, rather then playing to get better to make it fun again.

So yeah, any advice would be greatly appreciated, i tried following all the rules when making this.

Thanks Everyone,
-Quinn
I have the exact same problem as you
Cept I play different stuff....which I can't play tbh

I got outta my rut by playing a load of jazz based stuff

I haven't really learnt any difficult songs all the way through...quite simply because I don't have any motivation too

For you bluesy scale stuff, I had a similar problem....I got over that by sitting in front on a tv and playing guitar at the same time....keeps me entertained, and I get better
Don't really watch much TV, but i'm sure i can find an alternative. Thanks for the reply though . Lets see what someone else has to say.
Well, just think of the most incredibly hardest song ever and play it. Even if you can't, keep trying. Take this for an example, I was bored of playing guitar, so I did this and learned Walk With Me In Hell. Start to finish. Now I may not be the best palyer, but I played it that much that I could play it like a pro. Try this, but another song.

My goal is to be able to play Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert. I know the first few riffs but the solo? Are you kidding Paul? *Two years later* Shit, still can't play tech diffs. FML

The TV idea is a great way to work on my blues improv but after learning some BB King and Clapton, this should be fixed. Try this but with something else like sitting at this computer or at school (If your really despirate to learn something for your music class. My math teacher is the best )

Sorry for the chock full reply with gibberish and ranting
Last edited by Naruto00121 at Jun 24, 2011,
Oh don't be sorry, i appreciate the well written reply. I'll definately do my best to take your advice, but I think your advice is exactly what i've been doing. I learned the intro to Walk With Me In Hell for example. But it gets discouraging when i can't play a whole song.

--EDIT--
Some more information about myself btw... When i hear a song that has an awesome tone and start to try to play it, I start feeling like, maybe its my tone that sounds off and thats why it sounds bad. But who knows, maybe i just like making excuses.
Last edited by QuinnC11 at Jun 24, 2011,
Have you tried playing with another person. Ive seen tons of people that are just naturally good at playing the guitar. Sucks because ive played for like five years and I meet people who've played two and can sweep or just solo better then I can. And hell maybe you can learn something from there. It will take you out of your element and might get you to want to learn something which you are uncomfortable with. It might even put something new into the music you play.
Yeah I have a friend who plays bass, but mostly rhythm guitar now. But hes into like chord playing like Johnny Cash stuff.
Quote by QuinnC11
Oh don't be sorry, i appreciate the well written reply. I'll definately do my best to take your advice, but I think your advice is exactly what i've been doing. I learned the intro to Walk With Me In Hell for example. But it gets discouraging when i can't play a whole song.

What's your favourite song? Try learning that start to finish. Unfortunately, it may not be your favourite song after playing it for hours. I regarded Tornado Of Souls and Spirit Crusher (****ing hard, don't try this!) as my favourite two songs a few weeks ago. Ruined them both LOL

REPLY TO EDIT!!!

I had a piece of crap, 5 watt practice amp for the first 6 months of my playing (I've been playing for about 1 year, 3 months). That really got me down. I almost quit because of it. BUT I started playing with my uncle who's into older metal and thrash. He has a huge marshall tube stack. BOY!!! That got me soooo motivated. Sounded like the same tone Maiden had on TNOTB. That will lift you up.
Last edited by Naruto00121 at Jun 24, 2011,
I am very similar to your self. I too like to learn a good song or two (avenged in particular of late) but I get lazy as soon as i cant follow the tab anymore or lose interest.

I recommend getting yourself a loop pedal; learn the main riff/chord sequence and record you self playing it with the loop. Then play along with other parts of the song or jsut jam with it.

This is great for improving your scales skill and really builds on your imporv skills too.

I find i can pass hours away doing this and never got bored... also research and scales taht are used by the artist your jammin to, I know Synister Gates can use some oscure scales that can really sound good.

Hope this helps, enjoy!

Lanky
Quote by Naruto00121
I regarded Tornado Of Souls and Spirit Crusher (****ing hard, don't try this!) as my favourite two songs a few weeks ago. Ruined them both LOL

Ah, cool I love Tornado of Souls. But I don't really have any favorite songs, just favorite bands. And believe you me I have tried all of their songs.

Anyone know anything i can do about my tone? Anyone have any comments/critisism about my rig?
Quote by Lanky24

Hope this helps, enjoy!

Lanky

Thanks, I never thought about getting a loop petal, it does sound fun. And I'll definately have to look into different/more fun scales.
Quote by QuinnC11
Ah, cool I love Tornado of Souls. But I don't really have any favorite songs, just favorite bands. And believe you me I have tried all of their songs.

Anyone know anything i can do about my tone? Anyone have any comments/critisism about my rig?

If you have a modelling amplifier like me (I have a roland cube 40XL), the effects are fun to play with if you get bored. Try playing with a delay and playing a scale and time it right so it sounds like two people are playing a harmony. Then make the delay speed faster... This is really fun

I learn classical pieces by ear too. That keeps me occupied for a while. Toccata and Fugue and Rondo Alla Turka are good ones to figure out. Takes a while but.

BTW, what is your rig?
Quote by QuinnC11
Thanks, I never thought about getting a loop petal, it does sound fun. And I'll definately have to look into different/more fun scales.

Talking fun scales, C Double Harmonic Minor (Or simply, C Phrygian Dominant Major 7th)
Quote by QuinnC11

My current rig is-
Guitar: ESP LTD F-50 w/ Floyd Rose
Guitar Pedal: Boss ML-2 Metal Core
Amp: Raven RG-20

Thanks Everyone,
-Quinn

Quote by Naruto00121
If you have a modelling amplifier like me (I have a roland cube 40XL), the effects are fun to play with if you get bored. Try playing with a delay and playing a scale and time it right so it sounds like two people are playing a harmony. Then make the delay speed faster... This is really fun

I learn classical pieces by ear too. That keeps me occupied for a while. Toccata and Fugue and Rondo Alla Turka are good ones to figure out. Takes a while but.

BTW, what is your rig?

I've always wanted to learn how to play by ear, i figured thats what scale practice was for.
shake it up, try learning something completely out of your comfort zone. if you like metal try some surf or classical guitar. if you like punk learn some johnny cash (hell, he was punk before punk). every player hits plateaus, what you do when you hit them will create who you are. don't "take a break" or walk away from what you love... just keep evolving. be a different player - create something new, strip down what you like and shake it up. listen to something you never thought of listening to before and make it part of your riffs. the world of guitar is infinite, become part of the anarchy and make a new world!
Quote by zenbone
shake it up, try learning something completely out of your comfort zone. if you like metal try some surf or classical guitar. if you like punk learn some johnny cash (hell, he was punk before punk). every player hits plateaus, what you do when you hit them will create who you are. don't "take a break" or walk away from what you love... just keep evolving. be a different player - create something new, strip down what you like and shake it up. listen to something you never thought of listening to before and make it part of your riffs. the world of guitar is infinite, become part of the anarchy and make a new world!

Inspiring words my friend, inspiring words indeed.

But seriously, good advice my friend, i'll do my best. My only problem is my knowledge of things out of my comfort zone is limited. Especially when i don't know what words to Google :P.
Quote by QuinnC11
I've always wanted to learn how to play by ear, i figured thats what scale practice was for.

Scale theory helps, but it isn't nessesary. Most classical is arpeggio based so learn some basic taps/sweeps and attemp some. Try paul gilberts Get Out Of My Yard with sweeping. Now THAT'S fun!
I'm in the same boat as you TS. I have't played guitar in 5 months. I know The whole Rust In Piece album and other pieces of songs I enjoy with little to no theory knowledge at all. I think that's mostly why I feel un-motivated since i'm self taught and don't have any motivation to learn any lol. My advice is to take everything in repetition and try to sample different types of music (practice), in short though, best way to stay motivated is to have fun
this can be a difficult area but lots and lots of guitarists go through this, including me a few years back.
there is no definitive answer that is right for everyone but little things can make a big difference...
like previously mentioned, trying something out your comfort zone can be really rewarding and refreshing!
for me, getting with another guitarist and just jamming out some stuff, playing songs together not only re inspired me but brought my playing along incredibly!!
also, i think one key thing to remember is..... don't put pressure on yourself! remember playing guitar is a hobby and enjoyable, so just because the magazines etc say 'play these scales and do this every day', doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. pick up your guitar, jam a little, even put it down and clean it, re string it, learn about how all the parts work etc. doing things like this can inspire and teach you alot... and before you know it, without realising it.... your playing it every day, and it's taken over your life! :-)
I hope you keep at it and get through this little blip your having at the moment, but as i said, we've all gone through phases like this so don't let it get you down!
:-)

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
sit down and write a song of your own. don't try to make it a super complex masterpiece just a song. this will leave you with a sense of accomplishment which i think all musicians need from time to time. playing others music is fun and all but then you have constraints and to much to be judged by. it's a bummer to not nail a part or get that tone etc. very frustrating. on the other hand no one can say you didnt nail your own song. seems like you are putting to much pressure on yourself which will result in fail.

see my profile for examples of what i write. suprisingly they aren't what most people who know me expected. i just go with the flow and see what happens.
For me getting Guitar Pro 5 (from one source or another) really got my juicies flowing again, it tgave me some excellent tuition to try some new songs I'd never tried before, a lot easier to pick up then slogging over tabs.

Also getting a new multi effects pedal (Boss Me-50) broadened my pallet of sounds and styles no end, it was essentially like getting 50 new guitars. You could create sounds from electronica, death, durge, metal, blues, hardcore, pop and jazz (ummm forget I said Jazz.... ahem).

also... don't stress, don;t get too paranoid, I stopped playing for about 7 years between 18-25, then just picked it up again a bit, then off it, now for the last 2 years I play every day, bought a new amp, 2 new guitars, I can't get enough. Don't get ancious, guitar won't stop lovin ya