Got a new Les paul about a week ago.

It's a Les Paul Custom 68RI from the CS. Quite rare to see them in stock, got it from Eddie's Guitars in St.Louis and had it shipped.

It plays like a dream compared to my last guitar (Epi G400) and sounds amazing.
Lovely thick Les Paul tone that really sings. Sounds very good for blues-rock all the way to hard rock (Cream to Whitesnake)

Quite a thick neck but very comfortable profile, pick-ups are perfect for the guitar.
The body has a maple cap and solid mahogany body. 68RI's are not chambered or weight relieved in any form (No swiss cheese holes) so it's a complete tone monster. It's not too heavy for a Les Paul, around 9lbs which is on the lighter side for this model.

pics:
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)

EDIT: I'm also on a couple of Les Paul froums so if anyone recognises the pics, it's because that's where they've sen them before Guitarbob123
Last edited by digman50 at Jun 24, 2011,
She's gorgeous. HNGD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Beautiful. I'm jealous.

Let's see that headstock inlay, I love split diamonds.

HNGD!
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by JesusCrisp
HNGD, that's awesome!

But please tell me you are not playing it through your Spider....

When it home yeah

I mainly play it at school which has a couple of tube Peavys so that sounds a lot better, literally amazed my friends the other day.

I've had the Spider for 3 years so I've dialed in a decent tone but I'm looking at either a Splawn Quickrod, Marshall JVM410h, Oranger Rockerverb MK2 or a Blackstar Series 1 100EL34.

Still sounds godly through the spider

EDIT: Headstock pic as requested
(Invalid img)

Definitely real, it's got the ABR-1 bridge which fakes have never had, plus no fakes have an ebony board as they can't get the wood
Very nice! Headstock and neck shots?
My Rig: Gibson SG Menace
Gibson Les Paul Menace (Heavy Modded Project)
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Epiphone Worn '66 Wilshire
Egnater 15W Tweaker, 112 Cab
Quote by paul.a.hanson
Very nice! Headstock and neck shots?

Soz, haven't taken pics of the neck yet, I might take some this afternoon
Quote by digman50

EDIT: Headstock pic as requested
(Invalid img)

Definitely real, it's got the ABR-1 bridge which fakes have never had, plus no fakes have an ebony board as they can't get the wood

Ahh, just beautiful. You say the neck is real thick? I'm big-time jealous.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
HNGD! Even as a Fender fanboy, black Les Pauls with pickguards get me excited great buy, have fun with it.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by Jazz Funeral
Ahh, just beautiful. You say the neck is real thick? I'm big-time jealous.

It's quite thick but not as thick as some I've played, fits my hand perfectly, I'd say bigger than a 59 Reissue (R9) but slightly thinner than a 58 Reissue (R8) Very comfortable!

The action is low so it feels fast and is very responsive but you can also get a good grip, as such, on the strings for bends without them slipping under your fingers. Small frets as most Re-Issue Les Pauls have.

(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
One word.

Stunning.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
damn she is beauitiful. im still due for one more gibson thie year, nothing as nice as this, but i am thinking of going with the newly announced baritone LP.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
thats awesome. every les paul needs Grover rotomatics.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

thats on hell of a sexy upgrade and probably the only black guitar i'd only ever want to own.
HNGD dude!
Quote by digman50
I've had the Spider for 3 years so I've dialed in a decent tone but I'm looking at either a Splawn Quickrod, Marshall JVM410h, Oranger Rockerverb MK2 or a Blackstar Series 1 100EL34.

I'd say either get the Rockerverb or go for a Splawn Nitro, its got a little more gain than the Quickrod, but I dont know what sound you're going for.

Here is a video of Scott Splawn playing the just finished Nitro, without really having time to make it sound good, and it still sounds good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFEd342t5Ig

and HNGD man, that things beautiful.
Where's Waldo?
niceee!!!!

how much it costed?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
its awesome! i would honestly recommend the Marshall JVM410h, its such an amazing amp! i love playing through them so much! so versatile, but Splawn is awesome too haha
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
HNGD! Such a sexy guitar
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Thanks for all the great comments. I worked for a couple of years to get money for it and saved up all my pocket money, so it feels well earned.

Quote by chadreed32
I'd say either get the Rockerverb or go for a Splawn Nitro, its got a little more gain than the Quickrod, but I dont know what sound you're going for.

Here is a video of Scott Splawn playing the just finished Nitro, without really having time to make it sound good, and it still sounds good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFEd342t5Ig

and HNGD man, that things beautiful.

I like Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, Boston, Led Zepp, GNR, Aerosmith etc. So That's why I wouldn't go for the Splawn Nitro as much. The Nitro sounds nice but it isn't as suited as the Quickrod is. The JVM sounds good (I've played through them a couple of times) and it's very versatile.

The Orange sound amazing aswell and the Blackstar sounds good and also has 4 channels so would be useful. Hopefully I'll get one of those by this time next year at the latest.

Most of the time I play it through a Peavy combo at school (can't remeber the model, it's from the 90's) but it's tube and sound very good. I play on the overdrive channel and turn down the vol on the neck pu for cleans.

I know Gibson get a lot of bad press nowadays for Quality Control but this guitar is honestly flawless. The nut is cut well, there's no problems with the bridge. The electronics are good, the pick-ups fit the sound perfectly (the guitar comes with 57 Classics) The finish is spotless, the binding is even all over. I can't find a flaw in it. The only thing I would add at the moment is strap-locks as a safety measure, so I'll get round to that.

Gibson must have been having a good day when they made this. It's a brand new 2011 model.
Quote by digman50
I know Gibson get a lot of bad press nowadays for Quality Control but this guitar is honestly flawless. The nut is cut well, there's no problems with the bridge. The electronics are good, the pick-ups fit the sound perfectly (the guitar comes with 57 Classics) The finish is spotless, the binding is even all over. I can't find a flaw in it. The only thing I would add at the moment is strap-locks as a safety measure, so I'll get round to that.

Gibson must have been having a good day when they made this. It's a brand new 2011 model.

People are bitching about the guitars from Gibson USA, not the CustomShop.
If it's from the CS it should pretty much always be flawless.
i would recommend the Splawn or Orange over the marshall any day as well as the blackstar.

i own a Splawn Promod (same as QR wbut w/ KT88's), as well as the nitro. and from what you have said a PM/QR would be better for you than the Nitro. i run my splawns in stereo, they sound perfect together.

as far as splawn v. orange, you just gotta pick your flavor, as they are quite different sounding amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would recommend the Splawn or Orange over the marshall any day as well as the blackstar.

i own a Splawn Promod (same as QR wbut w/ KT88's), as well as the nitro. and from what you have said a PM/QR would be better for you than the Nitro. i run my splawns in stereo, they sound perfect together.

as far as splawn v. orange, you just gotta pick your flavor, as they are quite different sounding amps.

Yeah the QR sounds a lot better for him. And how is that NITRO? Is it as good in person as in the videos? Worth the money?
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Yeah the QR sounds a lot better for him. And how is that NITRO? Is it as good in person as in the videos? Worth the money?

the nitro is simply amazing. IMO it is way better in person than on any video i have seen.

i either run it through a Mesa Rec cab (4x V30's), or a Randall 2x12+1x15" cab (suprisingly enuogh T75's and a 15" legend). it works great with either one or both.

i know i say this all the time, but the nitro just has that kick ya in the nuts low mids and bass. pure wall of tone. even though it is heavy on the lows/low mids, it doesn't get muddy at all. crystal clear.

the only thing is it will not sound good i repeat will not sound good at low volumes. not at all. partially because its non master (although the newer ones have a loop master volume), and partially how its designed. i have owned several non master 100+ watt tube amps and they have all sounded better at low volume than the nitro. its kind of odd.

but IMO its the one to get. if you are patient you can snag a used one for $1300-$1400 or so pretty easily. i got mine for $1150 used on eBay.

i just can't believe all of the people buying 515/6505 heads new for more than either of my splawns that i paid used for. honestly after you play a Nitro, pretty much wrecks your taste for 515/6505's and Mesa Rectos. it is a whole new world once you get into guys like Scott Splawn's work. and i could not be the least bit happier with my Splawns.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
awesome.

is she a fretless wonder?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
awesome.

is she a fretless wonder?

Yeah, it's got the smaller frets as the other Customs do (ie. 57 Reissue, the limited run 1960 reissue etc) not like the more modern Customs/Les Pauls. It feels amazing to play because the action is so low and it feels really responsive to touch, can get really good bends and vibrato without struggling against it. It almost plays itself.
Quote by digman50
Yeah, it's got the smaller frets as the other Customs do (ie. 57 Reissue, the limited run 1960 reissue etc) not like the more modern Customs/Les Pauls. It feels amazing to play because the action is so low and it feels really responsive to touch, can get really good bends and vibrato without struggling against it. It almost plays itself.

my friend has an original 68 custom. the frets aren't worn, but are almost non-existent. my 86 standard is the same way.

i know what you mean, crazy low action, you breathe on the fretboard and it frets a note.

great lester right there. can i ask about how much? i've not run into one of these in the store.

here's what it will look like in 50 years. this is my friends '68.

Quote by gregs1020
my friend has an original 68 custom. the frets aren't worn, but are almost non-existent. my 86 standard is the same way.

i know what you mean, crazy low action, you breathe on the fretboard and it frets a note.

great lester right there. can i ask about how much? i've not run into one of these in the store.

here's what it will look like in 50 years. this is my friends '68.

I don't really want to say the exact priceas the dealer I got it from will vary the price and I don't want other customers put out or to try and use it as leverage for lowering their price, however I will say it was under $3000.

Guitar Center+the other big box stores don't carry these and they are not on Gibson's website. I believe that GC may carry a thin necked version that comes with a flame maple top but I think they might have stopped that.

The guitar is essentially a 57 VOS but with a maple cap. It's got the long tenon and completely solid body.

Your friends guitar is amazing. I really like the proper old black beauties but they're so expensive nowadays. Your standard looks really nice too. I always love standards with the speed knobs on. I might get a white 68 reissue at somepoint in the future with the gold speed knobs to echo Randy Rhoads

I think the next guitar I get will be a 60 Strat from the Fender CS or a Les Paul Axcess, helps provide more versatility.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by digman50
I don't really want to say the exact priceas the dealer I got it from will vary the price and I don't want other customers put out or to try and use it as leverage for lowering their price, however I will say it was under $3000.

The guitar is essentially a 57 VOS but with a maple cap. It's got the long tenon and completely solid body.

Your friends guitar is amazing. I really like the proper old black beauties but they're so expensive nowadays. Your standard looks really nice too. I always love standards with the speed knobs on. I might get a white 68 reissue at somepoint in the future with the gold speed knobs to echo Randy Rhoads

I think the next guitar I get will be a 60 Strat from the Fender CS or a Les Paul Axcess, helps provide more versatility.

no that's cool, that's why i asked about what you paid. under $3k new for that guitar is a great deal imo.

yea the old ones can cost a bit more depending. i owned that guitar for a week, then he called and said he was going crazy over selling it, so i sold it right back to him. so it was mine for 5 or 6 days lol.

CS strats are great guitars as well. i've compared old strats to the RI's they produce and really, the build and feel was great. sadly there is no way to age magnets so the old guitars sound a bit warmer. but for 1/5 or less the price of an old one, the CS guitars are really nice. there's a CS 1962 heavy relic at my sam ash for about $1800? maybe $1900. but new and plays/sounds great.

good luck, great les paul.