You'll have to be waaay more specific than that. It might work, it might not, which EMG did you have in mind and on what guitar? Chances are you'll just have to try it yourself to see if it works for you with your gear. I'm presuming you're gonna play mostly if not only metal if you're going the EMG route.

Also tone is subjective, but it's true that some combinations just sound like ass, I don't see why active pickups wouldn't sound good in a basswood body (though I've heard the neck affects the tone more so yeah).
Last edited by Ascendant at Jun 24, 2011,
Keeping in mind that "good" is highly subjective - but as one example, I have an 81/85 combination on my basswood RGT6EXFX from 2008 (iirc they went to mahogany in 2010 on this model) and as long as you have the amp dialed in, I think they sound fine. The 85 is a nice chunky rhythm pu and the 81 is a very sharp/defined lead pu.
Last edited by rjc13 at Jun 24, 2011,
you can put EMG's in a telephone book and they will still sound the same.
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
Quote by grapist

rofl.

Quote by grapist

xD

They sound different in a thick mahogany short-scaled guitar than they do in a long scaled maple and ash guitar

Prove me wrong.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I think what he meant is it'll still have that sterile signature EMG sound.
Just like a JB will always have that bright, sometimes honky signature JB sound in any guitar.

And a BKP Warpig will always have that huge, dark, beefy high gain sound in any guitar...

I could go on forever.

I've heard of people having okay results with EMGs in basswood, but they really suit heavily voiced woods better. More neutral woods like basswood prefer pickups with a less flat EQ.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Just like a JB will always have that bright, sometimes honky signature JB sound in any guitar.

And a BKP Warpig will always have that huge, dark, beefy high gain sound in any guitar...

I could go on forever.

I've heard of people having okay results with EMGs in basswood, but they really suit heavily voiced woods better. More neutral woods like basswood prefer pickups with a less flat EQ.

This is the experience I've had. IMHO, you really need an Alnico-based pickup with a great bass response in basswood - certainly something with a tamed high end. I've tried an 81 and 60; they were too much, and left no room for adjustment.