Hi guys.

I've recently got a Line 6 M9, and I love it to pieces, but the distortion absolutely sucks on it, even the overdrives and stuff suck tone and mud things up when you use them in conjunction with the amp's drive channel.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a little distortion box to fill things up on the front end a little bit? Currently I'm using an MXR ZW-45, but I'd like a little distortion box to replace my modded DS-1, partially for a bit of a change in tone and so volume boosts are more easily achieved.

Thanks guys.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Last edited by Chikao42 at Jun 24, 2011,
Sorry to double post, but also, if there's a boost pedal that'll give me a good boost over my distortion channel then I'd also be swung in that direction, too.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
I'm using a boss ml-2 and I couldn't be more satisfied with it. Robust as f*ck and the tone is just great.
Guitar: IBANEZ RGIR20BFE-WNF
Strings: Ernie Ball .010 - .052
Amp: Yamaha THR10X | Orange Micro Dark
Effects: Boss MetalCore ML-2, Zoom 505 II, CryBaby
So uhm, what amp are you using? Also the ml-2 sounds like rancid ass, stay away, the only boss I would ever recommend for high gain is the boss hm-2.
Last edited by Ascendant at Jun 24, 2011,
No budget?

Ghost Drive

Open Haus
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
If you're not using an all tube amp distortion boxes will usually muddy up your tone. Some SS amps handle pedals well but it's almost always on the clean channel, and they're few and far between.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
My amp is a Laney LH50 head and a 4x12 cab, I run one of 4 guitars through ZW-44>ZW-45>M9>amp.

I've played the ML-2 and I don't really like it.

I'm just looking for either something that'll give me a good boost on my amp's distortion channel (volume, not gain), and then I'd be happy with my DS-1 tbh.

OR something that'll give me a sick stompbox tone, and then I can set volume boosts on the m9 and zw-45 can boost too.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
I need something that'll take me from southern rock (skynyrd, BSC), to all out heavy metal. Budget is subjective.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
A TS808 or anything based on it is always recommended. A digitech bad monkey, or Boss OD-3, or SD-1 would also work pretty well for you.

I've heard/read about people also using EQ pedals to boost their lead licks, but I've never seen or done it so I'm won't be providing anything more than an idea in that area.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I've got the ZW-45 for gain boosts, its purely volume that I'm after. I don't need an 808/Bad Monkey etc, because they don't give a big volume boost on the lead channel, I need a noticable one.

EQ pedal's a thought, though. When I had one, I didn't have an effect loop in my amp so I sold it...
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
Last edited by Chikao42 at Jun 24, 2011,
You can't get any cleaner boost than a EQ pedal. Based on what you said about the M9's distortion I don't think you want an OD pedal.
Quote by fly135
You can't get any cleaner boost than a EQ pedal. Based on what you said about the M9's distortion I don't think you want an OD pedal.

I'll give EQ pedal a try, then.

I've got as much gain as I need in terms of my amp, ZW-45 and DS-1. I'm guessing that I'd run the EQ and M9 pedal through the FX loop and the rest through the front?
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
^yep, that sounds about right. Do you not want to waste a stage of the M9 on EQ? Because you already have everything you need right in the M9. It has about a half dozen differetn EQs.

I'm not going to bust your chops over the distortion hate because it sounds like your getting exactly the tone you want from your amp and when it comes to gear YMMV. But IMO the distortions on the M9 do not suck.
Quote by Chikao42
My amp is a Laney LH50 head and a 4x12 cab, I run one of 4 guitars through ZW-44>ZW-45>M9>amp.

I've played the ML-2 and I don't really like it.

I'm just looking for either something that'll give me a good boost on my amp's distortion channel (volume, not gain), and then I'd be happy with my DS-1 tbh.

OR something that'll give me a sick stompbox tone, and then I can set volume boosts on the m9 and zw-45 can boost too.

Way Huge Angry Troll. 20db of boost, adjustable from a clean boost to ballz out fuzz/distortion.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by fly135
^yep, that sounds about right. Do you not want to waste a stage of the M9 on EQ? Because you already have everything you need right in the M9. It has about a half dozen differetn EQs.

I'm not going to bust your chops over the distortion hate because it sounds like your getting exactly the tone you want from your amp and when it comes to gear YMMV. But IMO the distortions on the M9 do not suck.

When I next set my rig up I'll give the EQs a try on the M9, it can't hurt.

And I was probably being a bit harsh when I said that the M9 distortions "suck", but they do compress a lot, I've tried running it through my amp, a Peavey Valveking halfstack, a JCM800 halfstack, and a fender blues deluxe, and it takes a lot of bass end and top end out. If it didn't, I'd run that, additional overdrive and a wah and be set forever.

I'll try it through the FX loop using distortions too and see how it comes out, but in honesty it does look like an EQ pedal is coming my way. Thanks dude.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
Compression robs you of dynamics. If it's robbing you of highs and lows, then that may be beneficial to you in a band mix as the guitar is a midrange instrument, with the upper half of its range in the high end.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Compression robs you of dynamics. If it's robbing you of highs and lows, then that may be beneficial to you in a band mix as the guitar is a midrange instrument, with the upper half of its range in the high end.

I like not being compressed to hell, I like the sound of my guitar =[
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates