Page 1 of 2
Okay, if a wizard came along and he had the power to permanently change the tone you get from your gear into any tone from any song, what song would you choose? Remember you're stuck with this tone for good...

I'd go for Phototrophic by Kyuss. I'd love to be able to get that sound without having to buy a Gibson and defret it
Electric Wizard

Though something by Om would be a close second.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I'd choose the sound of the bass in Leave That Thing Alone by Rush. I guess I'm a sucker for high treble. I do love it though, guess thats the reason why I'm getting a Ray35.

I love the sound of the bass in Phototropic, that would be my second choice, I love the sound of the fretless and the slides it does.
[Insert something clever here]
tough choice between ca. '77 Geddy Lee and Phototropic
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Todds parts in the Scott Pilgrim bass battle.
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
If I'd have to choose one song, it would probably be Dub Incorporation - Diversité. It might not be the most trebly sound, but I'm sure I could live with that.

Edit: changed my mind!
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Last edited by sam_ofzo at Jun 24, 2011,
Probably Dan Briggs's tone in anything Alaska and beyond. I consider to be an impeccable tone. Good stuff.
pinga
Rex Brown's tone during the solo in Floods.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by Spaz91
Say what you want about this band, their bassist and, in particular, this track but this is why I play jazz basses.

pinga
Great to see how much stoner rock love there is in the bass forum. Al Cisneros is a god.

I'll check out the rest of the links tomorrow...thanks for posting them.
Quote by Cb4rabid
Probably Dan Briggs's tone in anything Alaska and beyond. I consider to be an impeccable tone. Good stuff.

I semi-agree, I love Dan's tone, I just wish it had a little more umph/growl/or attack

Quote by Din of Win
I wish i could get Mike Dirnt's tone from the album, 'Insomniac' ...but with my fingers and not with a pick.

And I really wish for that as well but since I'm strictly a finger player I must swing my vote for Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne

And here's another not metal video of him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMU5mSJ1NGM Skip to 0:42 for music, but after that he's just rocking out a ton of different techniques
i love the tone of rush´s bass lines, but i like my actual tone, because it is mine sound, is not a copy of something.
Honestly, it was between Ryan and Dan, but I chose Dan solely because you can argue that you can use Dan's tone much more universally whereas Ryan's tone is VERY growly. So if I had to just live with one tone for the rest of my life, i'd go for Dan's.
pinga
Quote by Spaz91
In that setting that is godlike tone but I don't think it would fair well against one or more distorted guitars.

Fair point, that's a problem I've always had though. Every tone I get for myself that I like sounds pretty bad once I have a guitarist masturbating over it through more gain than you can shake a stick at. One day I'm going to form a band with just one guitarist, that plays clean tight stuff, and find a keys player too. One day...
I intend to form a band with no guitarists. A bit like Kasabian's first album with just bass, drums, vocals, synth and samples. Guitarists ruin everything.
probaly fleas fuzz tone or paul simonom (as simple as that is)
This. I could actually live with this tone forever. I don't that Stuart Zender isn't behind that beautiful tone, it's just perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNsTLXwOeY
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
For upright--Scott Lafaro

http://youtu.be/LD_IxNosGDs

For electric, I'll throw out some fretless love and say Mick Karn. This isn't the best rep. of his tone on this song btw but I couldn't find better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ZyJG6n034&feature=fvst
I've been trying to get Duck Dunn's tone for two years now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-7QSMyz5rg
This is why I play a Precision with flatwounds
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
Joshua 6: 4-5: "When you hear the priests give one long blast on the rams' horns, have all the people shout as loud as they can. Then the walls of Jericho will collapse."

I want THAT f@cking tone! If they could do that with a couple of rams' horns, imagine what you could do with that tone, a Jazz bass and a couple of 8x10 'fridge stacks!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Cb4rabid
He gets such an incredibly warm tone and he plays at the bridge

That's Spectors for you. Dull and boring even down by the bridge.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by lolometer1
Todds parts in the Scott Pilgrim bass battle.

i think i luv you....
Quote by housemd
i think i luv you....

Wanna be sex buddies?
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC