I have a transcribed jazz solos book, and there is a version of st. thomas in the book where there is a lick played over an A7 chord. Tabbed out it looks like this

e---------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------
G--10--8-------------------------------------------
D-----------11--7--------------------------
A--------------------8------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------

The #5 and b5 are both being played not chromatically, so I'm assuming this is an altered lick because it's being played over a 7th chord?

There is also another lick he plays over the A7 chord and i'm not sure what to make of it. He lands on the 9th of A. This is the lick, well not really a lick but yeah

e--------------------------------
B--------------------------------
G-------------------------------
D-----10-7-8-9---------------
A-------------------------------
E------------------------------

The song is in the key of C major so I know those notes are in the C bebop scale. Since he's landed on the 9th does that basically make the A7 into an A9 chord?
Last edited by WalrusNutFart at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by WalrusNutFart
I have a transcribed jazz solos book, and there is a version of st. thomas in the book where there is a lick played over an A7 chord. Tabbed out it looks like this

e---------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------
G--10--8-------------------------------------------
D-----------11--7--------------------------
A--------------------8------------------------
E----------------------------------------------------

The #5 and b5 are both being played not chromatically, so I'm assuming this is an altered lick because it's being played over a 7th chord?

I'd say it's calling the alterations, but you see the lick stop on the F so that's a b13?

Quote by WalrusNutFart

There is also another lick he plays over the A7 chord and i'm not sure what to make of it. He lands on the 9th of A. This is the lick, well not really a lick but yeah

e--------------------------------
B--------------------------------
G-------------------------------
D-----10-7-8-9---------------
A-------------------------------
E------------------------------

The song is in the key of C major so I know those notes are in the C bebop scale. Since he's landed on the 9th does that basically make the A7 into an A9 chord?

Well it definitely calls the 9th, if it sustains there, I would agree that it invokes or suggests a 9th.

Sean
Whoops that F shouldn't be in there haha. The next chord is a Dm7 so I accidentally put that in there. Thanks for your reply, I mostly play rock and blues, so I'd like to try to incorporate this stuff into my playing.