So I'm going over to the States this summer and am looking to buy a new guitar from Guitar Center, whats the best way to haggle the price down? And what accessories can I look at getting thrown in for the price I'd be paying? ($1000-1500)
I think few years back all GCs stopped haggling as much. I remember I was looking for a new guitar and planning on going to the states to go try and talk them down a bit because everyone was always talking about how you could get great deals if you just haggled. When I went down no one in the shop was willing to talk numbers at all. Maybe it depends on the one you go to, but I haven't had good experiences in trying to talk people down at GC and I'm pretty good at bargaining.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
well if you dont know how to haggle im not sure we can teach you

but usually asking if oyu can get like a pack of strings or a strap free whit your new guitar works
Dont expect much price dropping lol, there really not that kind of business they might knock off $50-100 not much more.
As for stuff they might throw in, cheap gig bag, cheap picks, cheap strap.
You can usually haggle a bit more on there used gear but still better off visiting pawn shops if you want to haggle.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Jun 24, 2011,
guitar center isnt really a good place to try haggling because of the fact that its a chain corporation. everything is dictated by the corporate office. you will have much better luck getting a deal like that by going to a local music store kind of thing, where its just one store and you can talk to the owner and explain your situation, they are much more likely to be understanding and open to haggle.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
just tell them you left the 20% off coupon sitting on the kitchen table when you left home.

works for me everytime.

or i just stare over my glasses at my guy there with a look like.. "really?"
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
just tell them you left the 20% off coupon sitting on the kitchen table when you left home.

works for me everytime.

or i just stare over my glasses at my guy there with a look like.. "really?"

Most higher end gear isnt covered in there coupons, like ibanez, esp, gibson goes on and on.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Try a smaller store. There's one in my area that will keep lowering the price the longer I test guitars. I don't even have to ask. They want to make the sale badly (and it works ).

^Yes, but they'll usualy take it anyway.
Last edited by BlockFour at Jun 24, 2011,
After much deliberation between a Taylor and a Martin, I brought home a $1,450 Martin for $1.200. I told the guy that I wanted the Martin, but wasn't sure that I really wanted to spend that much on it. I asked him if the price was firm, and he said that he might be able to work with me. I hemmed and hawed, and then said, "How about $1,200?" He told me that he'd have to make sure the manager was cool with it, but didn't think there would be a problem.

I left, with the Martin, for $1,200.

Just feel it out, maybe you'll luck out, maybe you'll get laughed at.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by BlockFour
Try a smaller store. There's one in my area that will keep lowering the price the longer I test guitars. I don't even have to ask. They want to make the sale badly (and it works ).

DD

"hey i'm interested in this guitar i just want to play one song to test it ok?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6NUUauf4h8

*walks home with free guitar*
yeah, don't be afraid to offer a silly amount! they may meet you in the middle somewhere or you could get a result like i did.... when i was in the market for my razorback slime bumblebee, i was about to stump the £700 with GAK in brighton but saw a small dealer in south wales had one so i emailed them with an offer of £500... just to be cheeky and try my luck..... they replied with "pay the £15 postage and we've got a deal!"........ :-o
errrr..... thank you very much!!!!

smaller dealers would rather take a price cut and have the money in the bank than a guitar gathering dust on their wall!!

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
GC doesn't haggle. if they have a promotion going on (which is most of the time) they'll give you that (even on items supposedly excluded, but not always.) as mentioned it's a corporate place and the prices are set by the head office even on the used stuff. with the crappy economy they seem even less willing as many items are marked down to help them move faster. if you are a regular then they might cut you a little slack but if you just walk in off the street don't count on it.
Quote by slipknot_420
Most higher end gear isnt covered in there coupons, like ibanez, esp, gibson goes on and on.

ok, take that coupon to sam ash and they will usually ignore the exclusions.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
walk in with a loaded kalashnikov.......may work .............but seriously, pawn shops, small stores.....guitar center?? no way...
I can't see GC getting down with haggling either. Do their employees make comission on the guitars they sell as well by any chance?
^ Sales reps get commissions. But having a smaller cut is still better than none at all.

TS: You should have no problem getting free strings or a strap and with the amount you're dropping, you may be able to talk them into a case. They've got a number of promotions going on and, at least at my local GC, I generally don't have a problem getting them accepting coupons that technically they can't accept.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by funeralllllllll
DD

"hey i'm interested in this guitar i just want to play one song to test it ok?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6NUUauf4h8

*walks home with free guitar*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TFBdde8Uis

over and over again
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Small independent stores will most often give you the best prices. I bought my PRS and it had a sticker price of $1900 on it and after asking me what they could do on a deal I got the " well I can do it for $1675". I told them that it wouldn't workwith my situaton and after about 20 min I walked out of the store with a new PRS for $1425. I saved $475 off what they wanted to get. Cash will talk!!!
I went to a Sam Ash to try out new amps and brought it in with me and the sales guy told me Sam Ash wouldn't give him a deal anywhere near that as an employee.
P.S. they wanted $1800 for the same model, used!!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 24, 2011,
You used to be able to haggle with them over anything, I used to get pedals, used gear, and stuff like that discounted left and right at GC but in the last year or two they've stopped doing that completely. Last time I bought something was a used Rhoads for a project. I couldnt get them to budge on price, or even throw in one pack of strings. If you are trying to haggle it would be better to go to a local shop where they are more worried about making every sale possible even if its at a little less money compared to GC where if you dont buy that instrument someone may come in 5 minutes later and scoop it up for full retail price.
Quote by supersac
well if you dont know how to haggle im not sure we can teach you

but usually asking if oyu can get like a pack of strings or a strap free whit your new guitar works

I've never walked out without some sort of goodies. You can pretty much always get something a strap, gig bag strings.

Not that it'll do the TS much good but normally on a $1000+ purchase they'll toss in a six month or one year warranty
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
you'll be able to get 10 or 15 percent off.

you don't even have to haggle.

you won't get more so don't waste your time.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer