I googled it, but I need a simplified version. Does it keep your signal clean or something??
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
The Simplified version is, its used to directly record things into your system, rather than having to mic your amps and record the sound after it comes out. It tends to be more clear, has no ambient issues, and you dont have to worry about noiseproofing the room, but it tends to also sound a bit less realistic
Quote by 365_days_gone
Simplified please.

Quote by WIKIPEDIA
DIs are frequently used to connect an electric guitar or electric bass to a mixing console's microphone input. The DI performs level matching, balancing ........ to minimise noise, distortion, and ground loops.

Read to learn.
Learn to read.
Quote by synestershadows
Shai Hulud mother****er.
for instance, my POD X3 uses a USB input to my computer, thus it is a digital direct input of sorts, though not entirely the traditional kind, It doesnt go to an amplifyer or speaker, it goes straight to the computer into Cubase where the sound is then played back over monitors
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Im curious about this as well.....so basically a DI box is a sort of specialized preamp that goes direct to PA? Do MFX units count?

It's not really a preamp, it doesn't bring anything to line level using any kind of power source, it kinda just, helps it get to line level, and wont let it go over a certain point. But it's major function is just a 1/4 to XLR conversion for input into a mixer board, it has a ground a lift function, in cause what your putting into the DI box needs to be grounded through the input, and a decibel boost or cut function, of...something like -4 db, -10 db, and -40 db.

I mean, when you pick one up you'll think it's hollow.
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's not really a preamp, it doesn't bring anything to line level using any kind of power source, it kinda just, helps it get to line level, and wont let it go over a certain point. But it's major function is just a 1/4 to XLR conversion for input into a mixer board, it has a ground a lift function, in cause what your putting into the DI box needs to be grounded through the input, and a decibel boost or cut function, of...something like -4 db, -10 db, and -40 db.

I mean, when you pick one up you'll think it's hollow.

not really.

a good di should do instrument to line level conversion
it should have 1/8 to xlr conversion
it should also have ground lifts
good ones will have pass throughs so you can send the output to the mixer and an amp.

good di's will be completely transparent and isolated from all other equipment.

definitely not hollow.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
not really.

a good di should do instrument to line level conversion
it should have 1/8 to xlr conversion
it should also have ground lifts
good ones will have pass throughs so you can send the output to the mixer and an amp.

good di's will be completely transparent and isolated from all other equipment.

definitely not hollow.

I've been using them for years and I've never had to open one up, so I didn't know what was really inside them, I just know how they work in live situations.

We use Whirlpool DI boxes, they work but not the best.

first thing i thought of when i read the thread title

Dick Inna Box.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out