Should I get a 10-band eq or a 6-band eq? I will be using thru a tiny terror. Hoping for some bass help as the amp itself is lacking. I'd also like some control over scooping/boosting my mids. Don't want to spend more money than necessary.
it depends on how much control you want over your tone. a 10band EQ as its name implies allows you to control the level of 10 different frequencies while a 6band controls 6 frequencies. i haven't had any experience with an EQ pedal but imo it ultimately depends on how much control you want and the range of the pedal. Even though the 6 band has less control if the range will get the job done then you should probably go with it. If you want more control and more range then a 10 band would be ideal. The quality of the parts is a factor and that is usually reflected in the price. Good luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
You can find a used MXR 10-Band for under 75 bucks used usually. I ordered mine from GC used online.

It gives you tons of ways to shape your tone. I recommend them.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I think most people recommend a 10 band EQ, the MXR 10 band EQ is popular from what I know, but if you don't want to break the bank a danelectro fish n' chips is good for the money from what I've heard (I've not tried it so don't take my word.)
My name is Jack.
Last edited by Kill0Switch at Jun 24, 2011,
have the BOSS. i bought it for its tone shaping and volume control to use it as a clean boost kinda. its nice. lots of control. does add noise to signal if you boost volume or a particular frequency dramatically. the more you boost, the more noise. not horribly bad, but if you stop and listen its almost a "white noise".

bought it used for 40 bucks, get the job done im happy
I've heard the boss sucks tone. Is this true?
If it doesn't then it looks like a good alternative to the 10 band.