I haven't got a cell phone, car, or job. I'm getting a meager job at my school and will move onto getting a better job eventually. Problem is I rely on my home phone and parents for transport. I don't get on very well with them. I know someone who lives near school who I might be able to move in with but not yet until I get a better job. MY other issue is my mother has access to my bank account and I don't have the information besides pin number - she kept that to herself so she can take money out of my account whenever she pleases. If I do get a job, what will I need to do to get another bank account and be able to conceal it? I'm figuring obviously just going to the bank and opening a new one but I'm not sure what order I should do all of this in. I'm thinking of moving out one day and not coming home and then going to the bank to open one with my new address/ information. She is the sort of person who would take out all my money forcing me to move back in before giving it back to me.
I am turning 19 and she treats me like I am 9 - moving out takes time but I am pretty adamant about moving out asap.

This is a legitimate issue I'd like to be thought of, obviously I take it not many of you are going to care very much (lol) but just a quick thought would be great.
i dont think any minimum wage job is gonna pay for a place of your own plus a car/gas/insurance and a phone. I think the only way its gonna work is if you pay your friend monthly to live with him and take public transit wherever you go.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
first you need a job
with said job get your self a phone
call a hooker if you have to
then open your own bank account save money in there til you have enough to move out
Yeah, open another bank account. Maybe get a PO Box FIRST so they won't send all the mail to your house, because then your mom would find out. Also, if you have your PIN number, you can withdraw all of your money. Do that, and then deposit it in your new account.

Then, get a cell phone. Look online for advice, because many plans are ripoffs and you can often get a much cheaper one by spending a little time looking around.
Open a new account, transfer money across...then worry about jobs and moving out.
If you want your own place, you'd have to take someone with you. There's no way you could fund living by yourself, not in any legitimate establishment. Find a friend or get a girlfriend or something that could/would be willing to live with you and kick half the bills.
Quote by longneckdude
i dont think any minimum wage job is gonna pay for a place of your own plus a car/gas/insurance and a phone. I think the only way its gonna work is if you pay your friend monthly to live with him and take public transit wherever you go.

Yeah I am taking PT and it actually goes to quite a few places so it is convenient. Sucky thing however is my house isn't really that close to a stop I can only get there from school - but my friend lives right outside of one. I'm not worried about a car right now. Rent is cheap where I live so I could get on with 300-500 a month.
And I should mention min wage will bring in about 1k a month if I work full time. But I have school too so...
Last edited by Z_cup_boy at Jun 24, 2011,
You got the PIN? Take out all the money first of all, all of it.

New bank account > all info is yours, put money into account.

Get better job, save money currently earned in new bank account.

Have savings, better job, move out.

Get a phone whenever you have the spare cash, it's not top priority but it's good if you have a job.
Yeah, I'm leasing a house with three friends, and we each pay about 500/month.

But definitely get a PO Box if you want to get a bank account and don't want your parents to know.

EDIT: A phone is definitely a top priority. If you actually want to get a job, you need to have a phone. That's how things work these days.
Before you get the bank account put yourself on whatever housing register you have in the US at that friend you mentioned's house. This means that you can get credit checked (which is hard with a PO box) but also that your paperwork will go to your friend not your mum. Then stay at home until you have enough money in the new account to leave.

Good luck =) Make sure to get your passport, birth certificate, some spare knickers and wash stuff, and keep it hidden in a bag in your room so if it all does kick off you can leave instantly and not be so anxious about getting your stuff out for a few days.
knickers

I don't think a passport is exactly top priority unless a vacation to Cabo is necessary for you to be able to afford an apartment. Well, you could be a drug mule
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Before you get the bank account put yourself on whatever housing register you have in the US at that friend you mentioned's house. This means that you can get credit checked (which is hard with a PO box) but also that your paperwork will go to your friend not your mum. Then stay at home until you have enough money in the new account to leave.

Good luck =) Make sure to get your passport, birth certificate, some spare knickers and wash stuff, and keep it hidden in a bag in your room so if it all does kick off you can leave instantly and not be so anxious about getting your stuff out for a few days.

Yeah I got all that stuff. Thanks. This isn't going to happen anytime soon but probably within a year. I might try to subtly hint at it to see how it goes over but I've got a feeling I'm going to have to pull a slick move.
Quote by longneckdude

I'm living on my own living off my student loan. Ok, I'm right in the city centre, so I'm walking distance from everything, so I don't have to pay for any transport, but I still pay for rent, food and utilities. It can be done, it's just difficult.
Finish school, then go to university and live away.

Problem solved. This way you don't burn a valuable bridge and get your own space, aswel as a good future.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by robhc
I'm living on my own living off my student loan. Ok, I'm right in the city centre, so I'm walking distance from everything, so I don't have to pay for any transport, but I still pay for rent, food and utilities. It can be done, it's just difficult.

Student loan is a stupid reason to falsely validate that point you made.

Student loan is something you obviously pay back, and you only get it if you're a student. Also, student loan is a massive rip off.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by trueamerican
knickers

I don't think a passport is exactly top priority unless a vacation to Cabo is necessary for you to be able to afford an apartment. Well, you could be a drug mule

You wouldn't want to keep an important and expensive photo id? I would.

And having spare clothes and essentials in an escape bag is a good idea, don't hate
As mentioned before, empty bank account then deposit the funds in a new one. Get a job and save as much cash as you can. I think getting a like-minded roommate would be your best shot for getting a place. get a motor scooter or learn how to skateboard. Sell weed to your classmates.

join the military???
Quote by Anthony1991
Student loan is a stupid reason to falsely validate that point you made.

Student loan is something you obviously pay back, and you only get it if you're a student. Also, student loan is a massive rip off.

How so? He was saying you couldn't live off a minimum wage job. At the minute I'm living off LESS than what I would get if I was working in a part-time minimum wage job. My point was that you could live off such a small amount if you're smart about how spend your money.
1. open a new account and put all the money you can into that account
2. if your parents don't have a problem with you having a job then get a job and just use your home phone. if they do have a problem with it:
3. get a cell phone. you need one in order to have alot of jobs now days
4. after you have saved up some money or have a job earning a decent amount move out.
5. after you are making enough money without going into debt to pay the bills get a car.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Yeah I got all that stuff. Thanks. This isn't going to happen anytime soon but probably within a year. I might try to subtly hint at it to see how it goes over but I've got a feeling I'm going to have to pull a slick move.

You're (soon to be) 19 years old. You're a big girl now. Your mother should be proud rather than pissed about your choise to move out. Also, why does she need to grab money from your account?

I'm Norwegain, and I only had to turn up at the bank, sign a deal with my bank, and get a new debet card. Voilla, I am now the only one with any access to my bank accounts. Try to consult your bank.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jun 24, 2011,
Report her to the proper authorities for identity theft, if the account is in your name. If you're an adult, I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Very illegal. Of course, you'll probably want to save up some moneys before you do this.
Make a new bank account, and don't withdraw your
Money from the first account because you can only get a few hundred at a time that way iirc. Just transfer all the money (up to a thousand at a time) to the new account with an ATM. all you need is your PIN.

Crash with your friend and get a cheap phone until you get a decent job.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark
Make a new bank account, and don't withdraw your
Money from the first account because you can only get a few hundred at a time that way iirc. Just transfer all the money (up to a thousand at a time) to the new account with an ATM. all you need is your PIN.

Crash with your friend and get a cheap phone until you get a decent job.

If you open the second account at the same bank, they'll usually let you move it all in one go.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
You wouldn't want to keep an important and expensive photo id? I would.

And having spare clothes and essentials in an escape bag is a good idea, don't hate

If he has one, of course, but getting one can be a pain in the ass, and I think there are fees. I don't remember for sure, because I got mine a while ago and didn't have to pay for shit, but

And yeah, an escape bag is a good idea, but knickers are just