Hi there GG&A,

After 2 months I finally got my amp back and repaired, were it not that it really hasn't been repaired at all. The annoying hiss that was there for ages is still there and I'm really desperate, up to the point that I want to sell the damn thing and never have to deal with it again. Thing is only, when I picked it up, one hour ago, there was nothing wrong with it. So my only guess can be, that somewhere in my setup, something must be creating excess noise. But what could that be?

I think the weakest link in my whole setup is my speaker cable, but can that really make that much of a difference as in, can it generate a hiss through the amp?

I really don't know what to do now, and I'm very desperate, because I need a good working amp, without excess noise to enter the studio this summer.. Please, help me.

tl;dr: if I buy a better speaker cable, will the hissing in my amp stop?
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Highly unlikely. Describe your whole setup. ie what's in the chain?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Also make sure the hissing isn't something as simple as an old TV or fluorescent lights. Many nearby gadgets or appliances drawing lots of electricity will help contribute the hum.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Last edited by Funk Monk at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard

Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Boss NS-2 -> (Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer in the noisegate loop) -> ENGL Fireball

In the Effects Loop of the amp there's a TC Electronic G-Major.

I should probably add that the amp and effects are on an ungrounded socket, to which the rest of my bedroom is connected as well (computer, CD-player, lamps etc.) and that the amp is standing under a metal frame (cupboard).
Quote by Cathbard

+1

Type of amp and volume and gain levels would help too.
You need to remove everything and just try guitar into amp. Then start adding in each component one by one until you can identify the source of your noise.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It could be the wiring in your place

I had a amp once that made a bunch of noise if it were to close to my TV and computer

you have good stuff, have you tried different guitar cables too?
Quote by Cathbard
You need to remove everything and just try guitar into amp. Then start adding in each component one by one until you can identify the source of your noise.

This is a good idea. Also, is the cable visibly damaged?

EDIT: Are you using a guitar with active pickups? Mine always hissed when the battery was dying.
Last edited by TheChaz at Jun 24, 2011,
A speaker cable is least likely place for induced noise because it's a low impedance circuit.
Ungrounded outlets can indeed cause hum. Troubleshoot it and start off going guitar straight to amp and see if it hums.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
Ungrounded outlets can indeed cause hum. Troubleshoot it and start off going guitar straight to amp and see if it hums.

Yes, it does.. But it's more of a hiss than a hum, pretty weird.

So at the base it already hisses, but very lightly, I have to turn up the volume a lot before it's audible. Adding the G-Major triples the output..

I have a noise gate setup on the G-Major as well and when that's on, I don't hear a thing, so that effectively blocks all the noise until I start playing again, though obviously, that thing isn't on on my clean channels, because it kills the sustain, so this is not a solution.
best thing to do would pickup a power conditioner, it may not solve the issue atm, but in time everybody should have one. i have a unit with a battery backup, surge protector and power conditioner all in one made by APC. i got it for dirt cheap on black friday. it does make a difference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If the problem persists I would change the outlet out that everything is pluged into into a moddern grounded outlet. I get weird hisses and hums when it rains alot at my house(its 100 years old) and since its a rental i never really paid much attention to it other than changing the outlet witch did help.