Hey so I saw GCs deal on these pickups and I was thinking whether or not these pickups would sound good in my new MIM Fender Strat? Does anybody have any experience hearing or playing with these pickups and what they think of them?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
if you like a vintage fender clean sound they're pretty good otherwise i didn't care for them all that much. no balls with distortion. take a look at Lace Sensor as they have a wide range of pickups that are noiseless, retain the positive qualities found in fender pups and have a little to a lot of balls depending on which ones you get.
Samarium Cobalt Noiseless (calles SCN) Pickups were the pickups that came in the high end Fender guitars until late 2009, when it was switched to the N3 Pickups.

Coincidentally, they actually replaced Lace Sensors that used to come on top level Fenders because the Lace Sensors were believed to be sterile, flat and lacked good tone with distortion.

Either way, they'd be better than your current pickups.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Samarium Cobalt Noiseless (calles SCN) Pickups were the pickups that came in the high end Fender guitars until late 2009, when it was switched to the N3 Pickups.

Coincidentally, they actually replaced Lace Sensors that used to come on top level Fenders because the Lace Sensors were believed to be sterile, flat and lacked good tone with distortion.

Either way, they'd be better than your current pickups.

the Lace Sensors were replaced because Fender no longer wished to outsource to another company not directly under their control. i use plenty of distortion and they work fine and don't sound sterile at all. they do have a wider tonal range than regular pickups which many seemed to think makes then sound somehow not right. i find the SCN's to be one trick ponies that sucked for distortion past SRV style blues. the new N3 are an improvement.
Quote by monwobobbo
the Lace Sensors were replaced because Fender no longer wished to outsource to another company not directly under their control. i use plenty of distortion and they work fine and don't sound sterile at all. they do have a wider tonal range than regular pickups which many seemed to think makes then sound somehow not right. i find the SCN's to be one trick ponies that sucked for distortion past SRV style blues. the new N3 are an improvement.

Is Bill Lawrence under Fender? That's who made the SCN. But I don't get why people complain complain about the SCN when it comes to distortion. They're meant to sound like single coils. They're not going to have the lush distortion of a humbucker. I find they're better than a lot of other normal strat pickups in terms of distortion because they're a little warmer and fatter. They have a lot of strat characteristics but they do not sound like a vintage Strat pickup. They sound good though.
i have these pups in my 2008 american deluxe strat, think they sound as good as any pups ive ever owned. IMO. they work very well with the s1 switch giving you some nice out of phase sounds. i would have to definately recomend them.
Quote by monwobobbo

That, and people wanted the traditional looking pickups. My experience with Lace sensors was that they like to be quite close to the strings, but definitely did not lack for balls or tone. I liked them a lot and would consider them again for a Strat.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1