Hello again,

I apologize for the amount of threads I've posted recently, nothing is more frustrating than wanting something you can't have (in my case a decent amplifier).

Anyway, I've been speaking to a friend of mine and he's selling his Crate 65w amp for £65. I know Crate have a pretty bad reputation, but I'm in desperate need of an amp right now. He says it's a pretty good amp, and the cleans are really nice. Unfortunately it's a solid state, but the price doesn't sound too bad! He's bringing it over next week some time for me to have a look at, not really expecting anything special...

So what do you guys think I should do? Should I go for it? Is it a good deal? Pros and cons? I would only be using it for a while until I can get hold of a nice tube amp.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

You probably should wait until after you actually try it out. Haha. We don't really know what condition this amp is in.
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
Haha, I really should have mentioned. He has had it for about 2 years now, it's in perfect condition, full working order.
Quote by Jason
Ancient scrolls predict that when Fred Durst and Lil Wayne perform a guitar duet while touching the tips of their penises together, the gates of hell will open and swallow us all.

Hehe.

You're paying a quid per watt. It's your choice man!

Being serious I've heard cheaper Crates aren't very reliable and don't sound particularly good . Then again you won't find anything else amazing for that price tbh.
The 2x12 120 watt combos can barely get over drums.
Just sayin.
Experience.
Not owned one but use one a few times at a practice space. It was a crap amp for the purpose
Well I'll try it out, and we'll see what happens. Thanks for the help!
Quote by Jason

Hehe.

Crate 65 Watt Amp + Digitech RP 350 > No Amp.

Sounds like a great deal to me.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
I'd get it if you need an amp, It will work for you.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Okay thanks again guys. Will it be loud enough for gigs though?
Quote by Jason

Hehe.

Can anyone help me out?
Quote by Jason

Hehe.

mic'ed anything would be gig level, but at practice you'll need a drummer whose quiet (mythical) or a set of brushes. pretty much any bassist with something better than a practice amp would drown you out, but he can turn down. You're gonna wanna get a job busing tables this summer and buy something more substantial, or buy an acoustic and busk up some funds
ok guys, i've actually got one of these amps... the exact model! it's been my practice amp for a few months and it IS loud enough to play with the full band... yeah you have to crank it but it does the job (i play in a metal band btw). I also did a gig with it a few months ago as a last resort but it held up fine (although for this gig, it was mic'd although i'm not sure thats completely necessary as like i said, i've practiced with the band and have the vol at about 75% un mic'd ).
The clean channel is very useable and with 2 gain channels, you get versatility as well. (the 2nd gain channel is a beast tbh)
it's never gonna be my main amp BUT it's a great backup to what i already have and at £65, it's a steal... just get it mate, you won't be disappointed! it'll do the job perfectly until the time comes where you can upgrade!

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112