Page 1 of 2
So i've been thinking about making a thread like this for a while now.

The question is, what chord do YOU think sound the best, and why? By this, i mean not in a progression or anything, just an instrument playing this chord all by it self. It would be nice if you include the tab/musical notation, so pepole who dont know theory how to build chords etc, can play the chord and hear what it sounds like. If you don't know the name of the chord, it's ok to only write the tab/notation

So i'll start:
My favorite sounding chord played by itself, is MinorAdd9, simply because it sound pretty and mysterical. It is kinda sad, but adds alot of different emotions than your normal minor chord, wich to me, sounds only sad. Mikael Akerfeld from Opeth is one my favorite songwriters, and he uses this chord alot in Opeth's music, alltrough he dont know the name of it (or any other theory for that matter).
AmAdd9:
e-5
B-5
G-5
D-9
A-7
E-5
How good a chord sounds is based 100% on context. You can make minor chords with major 7ths sound good and the happiest major sound dissonant with the right progressions
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
How good a chord sounds is based 100% on context. You can make minor chords with major 7ths sound good and the happiest major sound dissonant with the right progressions

i mean, this.

and even when played only by itself, instrumentation plays a big part. an orchestra can belt out a D#º7 and it would sound great, and i can play a simple Bm9 on a guitar and it'd sound great.

there's so much more to music than the notes and chords you use. people often overlook that, since they tend to think only about a guitar, a bass, a vocalist, and a drum kit.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
To actually answer your question...for fun, I really like the sound of an eleventh (most tertian chords for that matter, good call on the mAdd9, it does sound really nice by itself)
I don't know what it is called, but I like this chord a lot. It's really beautiful played clean. I write in Drop C and for use this chord for clean sections of the songs I write (I play metal).
D-5
A-6
F-7
C-8
G-
C-

in standard it would be:
E-3
B-4
G-5
D-6
A-
E-

I think it is a seventh chord.
I really like major 9 chords, although if I sat at my piano for a while I'm sure I could find some really funky/pretty chords.

Gmaj9 (open)
e-5
B-0
G-0
D-0
A-2
E-3
The future is no place to place your better days
The best chord is this with good amount of distortion and the amp cranked to the max.

E---3---
B---3---
G---0--
D---0--
A---x--
E---3---

lol!!
Last edited by Appetite_4_GNR at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by Zelos45
I don't know what it is called, but I like this chord a lot. It's really beautiful played clean. I write in Drop C and for use this chord for clean sections of the songs I write (I play metal).
D-5
A-6
F-7
C-8
G-
C-

in standard it would be:
E-3
B-4
G-5
D-6
A-
E-

I think it is a seventh chord.

Yes, it's a G#maj7, as in a G# major chord with a major seventh.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
With as many chords as I know, I love the Minor 7th for its subtlety. Minor 9s are very cool as well.

I personally think the add 9's (I think of them as "Dream Theater" chords), are overdone and gimmicky sounding because they've been used everywhere to sound exotic.

I also like adding 11 to the Minor 7ths.

Sean
_m9 chords are what I like.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by Hail

Can't agree on this. I like madd9 chords a lot when there is no context. However I dislike dominant seventh chords. Obviously context has an effect but it's definitely not 100%.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
while context is everything i have two chords i use a lot that i like

x

used as VI7addaug 6th or something!

and this one!

or of course

Quote by ElitiusMaxim
E 11
B 10
G 8
D 7
A 6
E 5

****ing. Metal. Nothing tops that shit.

That is not a chord. Nor is a suspension a chord as mentioned earlier.
Quote by ElConky

No they are not, although without harmony or implied harmony they don't exist. Apologies for not writing "progressions which use harmonic decoration".
Quote by ElConky

You're an idiot and don't understand tongue-in-cheek stuff.

L2differentiate between a non serious post and one that is serious.

Quote by Sean0913
^^^^^^^

Love that one its that A(b5) Monster chord. Nothing but A's and Eb's! Great for when you have nothing to say and want to sound dark.

Sean

See at least Sean knows I'm ****ing around. Well, I could debate the last point but I'd be de-railing.
Add9 chords are my favourite but also maj#11 chords weather it be add #11 or adding the 9 and #11 they both sound nice.
---10----------
----0----------
----0----------
----0----------
---------------
----3----------
Good old sus chords do it for me. Add 9ths are pretty good.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
e -
B - 8
G - 7
D - 6
A - 7
E - 0

My fav chord. E9+
Last edited by MaddMann274 at Oct 15, 2011,
Quote by mdc
^ Are you sure it's named that?

Not really, that's what it says it is on guitar pro.
Quote by griffRG7321
I like 11ths too , they sort of sound like suspensions but letting the dissonance ring out. Like at the start of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6iXQUr6RZg&feature=related

Actually they are suspensions, scrap that

But 11ths are nice
7 + 4 = 11.....

7 + 6 = 13

Jus' thought I'd mention that.......

While I'm here, D Major open is my favorite chord. I know, I know, it's so provincial. But, it's also just so happy and readily identifiable.....

I'd don't really need to tab that, do I?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 16, 2011,
Page 1 of 2