Page 1 of 2
A lot of the classic thrash bands have been releasing albums lately that have been them going back to their roots. They have got back to the classic thrash riffs, grooves and ferociousness, but some thing hasnt quite been right each time. Megadeth released the song 'This day we fight!', which has all the elements of a classic Megadeth thrash hit. But I find the tone lets it down, it sounds to polished. Thrash has always been rough, raw and rebellious, and the old school recording quality and slight crackle just added to it raw, ferocious charm.

I was just listen to the new Anthrax song, and it is a perfect exampe of what I am saying, as it has the classic Anthrax riffs and vocals lines but again sounds to polish. Its a really cool song I feel has been let down by technology tbh.

Who agrees?
I do kinda agree with you. BUT, there are some exceptions. Personally I like what Kreator did on Hoards of Choas (sounds an awefully lot like the name of a recent album by some other band...). They went for a live recording setting and then did the over-dubs and solos later, I thought it kept a lot of the rawness you've come to expect from the band.

The problem is this whole Andy Snape-style stuff, listen to the last Exodus album, way too overproduced but not as bad as the re-recording of Bonded by Blood.

On the other hand, you have bands that record absolute shit-sounding albums that suffer because of it, like Metallica. DM wasn't their best work, but I'm sure it would have been better as an Andy Snape production.
Last edited by Leather Sleeves at Jun 24, 2011,
Is he Severus's brother?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
There's a reason they still do Black Metal records in dingy basements (other than BM not making any money).
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Hoards of Choas (sounds an awefully lot like the name of a recent album by some other band...)

i think you might be on about Chaos Legions by Arch Enemy?

and i do agree that the rawness was what made thrash very unique in a lot of ways, however i do prefer the sound of modern recording. i may well be biased, being as i'm a music tech student, and recording is the basis of what i do..
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
i think you might be on about Chaos Legions by Arch Enemy?

and i do agree that the rawness was what made thrash very unique in a lot of ways, however i do prefer the sound of modern recording. i may well be biased, being as i'm a music tech student, and recording is the basis of what i do..

Right. Kreator's Hordes of Chaos by Arch Enemy. Makes perfect sense. Collaboration and all that.

Modern production for the good old thrash bands is usually a deal breaker for me too, as I like it raw and filthy. Polished production is not all that is too blame as new Megadeth and Kreator really is nothing like the old stuff. Not in style, attitude, sound or anything. Doesn't feel genuine to me.

Onslaught's Sound of Violence is a good example of an old thrash bunch making good use of modern production.
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
We need to go back to a more organic drum sound and as little compression as possible. Also, bass doesn't need to be all low end. Some bands sort of have a gist of it, like Vektor on Black Future. And I think Warbringer managed to make modern production work on their latest as well.

As for used-to-be-thrash-and-trying-to-make-a-comeback-to-the-genre-bands like Metallica or Anthrax... well, their material is so bland and derivative, and I think younger bands are doing what they're trying to do so much better that I see no interest in their releases.
I just listen to the new 'Thrax song and am now listening to AIR and the tone is close. Yoyu can tell that Scotts gone back to using the same, guitar, amps, pickups and pedals as back in the day, and Charlies drumming is the same as ever. Joeys voice still lives strong to. The riffs are typical Scott Ian to.

But it just sounds to polished!! To clean and shiny.

Also, to the above post. Remember this isn't Anthrax going back to their roots so much, this album was mostly written 8 and more years ago, they just re recorded stuff.

Obviously the big 4 stuff inspired Scott to re-record the rhythm tracks with his Marshall JCM instead of his Randall.
Quote by jkielq91
'Thrax

Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Woah, Calum's hardcore radikult
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Looks exactly like Calum
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Yep. As bad as '' 'Tallica '', easily.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
'pologies.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
'hilism
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Skeletonwitch has a pretty good production, I like them.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by CG Man16
Skeletonwitch has a pretty good production, I like them.

Word. They're not my favourite thrash metal band, but they're good for the occasional listen.

I do prefer production on earlier thrash better, such as Aspid/Obliveon
Quote by severed-metal
Word. They're not my favourite thrash metal band, but they're good for the occasional listen.

I do prefer production on earlier thrash better, such as Aspid/Obliveon

Speaking of aspid, where's a good place to start, i've been meaning to check them out for a while now.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Thank you good sir.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Oh, well, then yeah.

This is pretty awesome so far breh.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
To summarize

Anthrax's early stuff is OK
Skeletonwitch are boring but they have some cool tracks I guess
Obliveon are great. I have not listened to them in forever though.
Need to hear Aspid
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Crazed Shredder
To summarize

Skeletonwitch are great.

Yup.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
suuuuuure they are
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
It's just so fun.

No more shall we share the air that I breathe. Always gets me going.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Quote by The Wildchild
Woah, Calum's hardcore radikult

Quote by Kepulix
Looks exactly like Calum

He's clearly not stylish enough to be me
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Stranglehold
'pologies.

I don't know if it's because I'm tired, but I'm totally laughing at every damn post right now.
It CAN sound good... but often doesn't I thought the last two Kreator albums have sounded awesome.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Beyond The Permafrost was glorious.. But Breathe In The Fire pissed me off a bit tonally due to the introduction of EMGs, a Fender bass, and just cleaner production.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Depends on what one means by "modern". Mental Vortex sounds uber-slick but it works perfectly.
It depends on the style of metal. Something like Anubis Gate probably benefits from modern production, due to the sci-fi atmosphere reflected by the music. Stuff on the more extreme side requires some grit to the production.

I think the drum sounds makes the biggest difference for me. The bass drums need to have some low end to them (hence the name "bass drum"), and most bands with super-slick production trigger the hell out of them and make them sound clicky and high-pitched. If the drums sound natural to me, the rest of the band sounds better to me as well.
Page 1 of 2