Anyone got a good method for this? I try learning notes on scale boxes but I just forget them, etc.
I learned all the natural notes first thanks to a tutorial vid on YouTube (I'd link, but I can't seem to find it). In case you've forgotten which notes those are, it's ABCDEFG. Learned that, then did a variant of major scale exercises. It's not very fun, but it's an excellent investment.

Side-note (largely for thread spectators): **** boxes. 9 out of 10 people who use them start freaking out when asked to play outside the patterns.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
I did like the above and learnt where each note was a day.

I recomend doing it in a certain order. Start with the open strings (I reccomend A first, E second, D third) and you will start to see a pattern forming.

Do a new note each day, and test your self with the notes from the previous day.

Also, say the note as you say it.

But I definatly recommend finding these patterns/ common things.

you will especially see this on the octaves as well as the notes that are on the 5th fret.
I don't have a problem seeing patterns, its just memorising, reckon going one fret for all 6 strings a day would work, or is that too much?
Last edited by nargoth at Jun 24, 2011,
Every once in a while you should just run down your guitar neck and just say the notes.
Or a little excersice I created for both pitch and fretboard knowledge.
What I did was I'd pick a random note without looking, listened, said the note, no matter if I was right or wrong I'd go and look up every note in the same octave.
For example here is E on all 6 strings.
low E 0 12th
A 7th
D 2nd fret
G 9th
B 5th
E 0 12th
I can do this without thinking for too long.
For example F #
Low E 2nd
A 9th
D 4th
G 11th
B 7th
E 2nd

Ab
low E 4th
A 11th
D 6th
G 1st
B 9th
E 4th.
Try it yourself.
I´d do this. Choose one of the twelve notes then find it all over the neck. Then the next day take the last days note and a new one and learn them all over the neck. Go on with this till you´ve gone through all notes, then start useing combinations.. for example "I´m gonna play all A and B notes all over the neck" then a new combination. Always think notes, not frets.
I like programs like this one. http://www.forceprojectx.com/services/fretboard
I think its not finished, but it still lets you pick the notes and scales and all that good stuff. Its not as in depth as some other ones ive tried, but this one is flash so i dont have to download anything.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by liampje
Every once in a while you should just run down your guitar neck and just say the notes.
Or a little excersice I created for both pitch and fretboard knowledge.
What I did was I'd pick a random note without looking, listened, said the note, no matter if I was right or wrong I'd go and look up every note in the same octave.
For example here is E on all 6 strings.
low E 0 12th
A 7th
D 2nd fret
G 9th
B 5th
E 0 12th
I can do this without thinking for too long.
For example F #
Low E 2nd
A 9th
D 4th
G 11th
B 7th
E 2nd

Ab
low E 4th
A 11th
D 6th
G 1st
B 9th
E 4th.
Try it yourself.

That one is actually pretty useful. I'll use it myself.
Here is a post on another forum:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/guitar-lessons/97907-locating-notes-fretboard.html#post1906588

This is quite good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzB2_O8GGM

Actually, a poster on this forum somewhere suggested this website:

http://rnbacademy.com/

I couldn't resist as I have always wanted to learn the notes on the fingerboard.
So I figured I'd try it for US$30. They have a really good system that is a
nice little memorization technique that works really well. Within a few days I could pretty
much find any note within a second to two. You do need to practice though to get better.
I liked that course so much, I paid even more money to sign up for the rest of their courses....Paypal was made to entice people like me. Anyway, it's a website run by a real
'guitar academy' in Texas. I think their boss Sean Christiansen posts a lot on this site...