Page 1 of 2
I can't sing worth a lick. I'm an average singer when compared to the general population, but sing like shit compared to good singers. This does not mean I am not a good musician right? I sometimes have hard time singing in time, but this does not occur to me when playing guitar.
Unless you're a vocalist then no, it doesn't matter.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Why would your voice matter when you're a guitarist? Master that piece of wood, bro.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
You can't sing? Shit, man, you're a terrible guitarist.

This, you are no longer welcome to UG, TS.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by hawk_kst
I suck at Maths )=

Does this mean I won't be able to do a Law degree!?!?!?

yes.
i can't even think how anyone could think that

even not very good singers can be good if they use clever phrasings and stuff, like jimi hendrix, he kinda spoke and sang
Last edited by teh_goon at Jun 24, 2011,
It's VERY easy to get away with being a bad singer these days. But no, not being able to sing has nothing to do with being a good/bad musician or guitarist.

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

there are about a gazillion famous guitar players that are great guitarists but terrible singers. like, have you ever heard Yngwie sing? it's quite humorous. or this. Buckethead is a great guitarist, but based on that, he's not winning any Grammys for best male vocals anytime soon. and there are lots more.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
there are about a gazillion famous guitar players that are great guitarists but terrible singers. like, have you ever heard Yngwie sing?

i liked yngwie's vocals on purple haze honestly... its just the thick accent that makes it sound funny
Quote by Ichikurosaki
You can't sing? Shit, man, you're a terrible guitarist.

This, sadly. I can't sing in tune so I know I will never be good a guitar. I'll probably turn it into firewood tomorrow night.
Quote by mysterion2112
i liked yngwie's vocals on purple haze honestly... its just the thick accent that makes it sound funny

they're not bad, but they're not great. but TS said

I'm an average singer when compared to the general population, but sing like shit compared to good singers.

which i'd take to mean not the best singer, but doesn't make your ears bleed. like he's just kind of meh.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Dude I'm not a very good singer but when I play and sing a couple easy ones people tell me I'm pretty good. They don't really know much better as long as you make the performance good whether it's on stage or playing with friends
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Buddy, testify to the following:
Eric Clapton
John Mayer
Rod Stewart
Billy Corgan (Yeah, sorry, just can't stand 'im.)
Bob Dylan
Thom Yorke (Even though I LOVE Radiohead)
Santana
Heck, even Burt Bacharach and Alicia Keys are famous pianists and Alicia is always flat while Burt couldn't sing for all chopsticks in China.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, and what GuitarViking said lol
Originally Posted by Bovaiveu:

This is my guitar. There are not many like it, and this one is mine. My guitar is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. Me without my guitar, is useless. Need I say more?
Last edited by Rockinguitar at Jun 24, 2011,
Bob Dylan is a fukin horrible singer and he did pretty well.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by Eric_Fail

but to be fair, i doubt anyone considers him to be a "great guitarist."

songwriter, absolutely. lyricist? hell yeah. guitarist? no.
Just listen to Kirk Hammett or Slash sing... not that they ever do, because they're crap vocalists but amazing guitarists.
Quote by hawk_kst
I suck at Maths )=

Does this mean I won't be able to do a Law degree!?!?!?

Doing law requires a lot of math actually believe it or not. It's the taxation of companies, share calculations, dividends, employment benefits, personal injury damages and costs, legal aid calculations, inheritance tax, VAT, business and solicitor accounts...I graduated from Law School - believe me, it's more math than you think.

On topic: It doesn't matter - Billy Corgan is terrible at singing but he's a great guitarist. His terrible singer is his trademark however and it's so bad it's good and has that unique style.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by theogonia777
but to be fair, i doubt anyone considers him to be a "great guitarist."

songwriter, absolutely. lyricist? hell yeah. guitarist? no.

Well I think he might be talking about being a good musician in general, otherwise it's a stupid question because your singing has no effect on your guitar playing.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by Harmonius
Doing law requires a lot of math actually believe it or not. It's the taxation of companies, share calculations, dividends, employment benefits, personal injury damages and costs, legal aid calculations, inheritance tax, VAT, business and solicitor accounts...I graduated from Law School - believe me, it's more math than you think.

That's only if you choose the type of law that requires math though.
TS is obviously the "singer-songwriter" type of guitarist
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by stratdud39
That's only if you choose the type of law that requires math though.

Law School has compulsory modules and they all contain quite a bit of math in them. Every legal module you do requires math. FACT. It shocked me just how much math there was involved. You can't escape the calculator.

EDIT: Sorry for being off topic slightly. It's nothing to worry about. Just be a background vocalist or something.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jun 24, 2011,
ITT: Off-topic discussions.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
it can work either way dude...
Quote by arsonite
I flash my ridiculously white teeth at you in contempt Sir!

Quote by son_of_bodom

OT: variety is the spice of life, my genitals don't discriminate on the basis of religion.
Bob Dylan wasn't a great singer, and look at him! He's a sexy beast. And popular too!
Right. I don't know why guitarists are obsessed with singing, you can just be a guitarist and be all cool and silent/mysterious
"-How do you feel about libraries?"
"-I hate them."
"-Well, not anymore!"
*Cue commercial tune*
Track Library! - A library, for tracks. Ain't that somethin'?
Quote by Harmonius
Law School has compulsory modules and they all contain quite a bit of math in them. Every legal module you do requires math. FACT. It shocked me just how much math there was involved. You can't escape the calculator.

EDIT: Sorry for being off topic slightly. It's nothing to worry about. Just be a background vocalist or something.

Lol okay, but my parents both graduated from law school and they said there was zero math involved.
The pit is made to be off-topic.
Play guitar? You're a musician.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by alternatex
Right. I don't know why guitarists are obsessed with singing, you can just be a guitarist and be all cool and silent/mysterious

Exactly dude... I don't dance around or none of that when I play live... I stand there zoned out and just absorbed by music lol my reaction time to the outside world, besides the band, is uber slow...
Quote by arsonite
I flash my ridiculously white teeth at you in contempt Sir!

Quote by son_of_bodom

OT: variety is the spice of life, my genitals don't discriminate on the basis of religion.
Quote by Eric_Fail

Actually Dylan sang in key, his voice in songs like lay lady lay and shit like that is pretty good, and his voice fits his music and lyrics very well. Good singing doesn't have to be to american idol standards which every one seems to think these days which is shitty
Gonna make the mountains be my home....

"A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through"-Robert Hunter
Page 1 of 2