I've been messing around with caged, and lets say we do A aeolian forward:

W H W W H W W
A B C D E F G A

Now backwards:
 W W H W W H W
A G F E D C B A

That's mixolydian.

Therefore, would going down a mode or w/e, be not the same feel as going up?

Should it work out either way because it's in the key of A anyways?
...all you did was spell the A minor scale forward and backward. i don't see what the problem is here.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
im not sure how you got A mixolydian out of that. honestly, im not really sure what you are asking. what do you mean by playing backwards? like just decending the scale? because you would just play the notes you played on the way up, just decending....or backwards. do you mean going UP the scale but with the notes you would be decending with? because that would be some big leaps interval wise. you would still be in A minor though as all those notes fit into Aminor.
When you start on the A note, your first step is a half tone

A --> B = 1 tone
B --> C = 1 semitone

If you start on A and go backward, you're getting
A --> G = 1 tone
G --> F = 1 tone

Forward, we have a net gain of 3 semitones by the third note.
Backward, we have a net gain of 4 semitones by the third note.

Those don't mathematically add up, thus it's confusing me.

Or rather: Is the mould for the aeolian mode always "1 tone, 1 half tone...etc"? Or does direction not matter?

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
There's seemingly a lot of misinformation here, but I'm not going to untangle it. What I will say is that, barring a few exceptions (I can only think of the Melodic minor scale) scales are the same up and down.

It's funny cause 'a lot of misinformation' is considered literally less than 30 words, or even letters for that matter I guess (yes, hyperbole I know).
Could you please contribute next time instead of just 'claim it's a mess' and bugger off? At least AeolianWolf and PolishedBullet and Blind in 1 ear are trying to help.
Last edited by TheChosen1One at Jun 24, 2011,
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
im not sure how you got A mixolydian out of that. honestly, im not really sure what you are asking. what do you mean by playing backwards? like just decending the scale? because you would just play the notes you played on the way up, just decending....or backwards. do you mean going UP the scale but with the notes you would be decending with? because that would be some big leaps interval wise. you would still be in A minor though as all those notes fit into Aminor.

i see how he's getting it. he reversed the formula for the minor scale. if you were to construct that formula going ascending, you'd get A mixolydian.

Quote by TheChosen1One

A --> B = 1 tone
B --> C = 1 semitone

A --> G = 1 tone
G --> F = 1 tone

Or rather: Is the mould for the aeolian mode always "1 tone, 1 half tone...etc"? Or does direction not matter?

first off, let me say that you should stay away from modes. none of this mixolydian crap. if you're not sure about this kind of stuff then modes are far beyond your grasp.

the A minor scale is A B C D E F G. it does not change. ever. the A minor scale ascending is A B C D E F G A. the A minor scale descending is A G F E D C B A.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
The only scale I know of that changes when going up the scale or back down the scale is melodic minor as previously stated before. Every other scale (unless its some weird exotic thing I've not encountered) is the same forwards and backwards
You mean like this, TS?
ABCDEFGA - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8 <---> 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 8 AGFEDCBA

You're probably just inverting the intervals and overcomplicating the scale by calling it something its not. Its A minor scale ascending and descending.
Quote by TheChosen1One

It's funny cause 'a lot of misinformation' is considered literally less than 30 words, or even letters for that matter I guess (yes, hyperbole I know).
Could you please contribute next time instead of just 'claim it's a mess' and bugger off? At least AeolianWolf and PolishedBullet and Blind in 1 ear are trying to help.

I answered your actual question, but in 30 words it seemed pretty clear you misunderstand large portions of the concept of modes and scales, which I wasn't, and still am not, prepared to explain.

I agree with Wolf in that you should avoid modes altogether for now, just get an understanding of the major/minor scales.
Quote by TheChosen1One

A --> B = 1 tone
B --> C = 1 semitone

A --> G = 1 tone
G --> F = 1 tone

Generally, intervallic relationships are only considered as positive (upward-moving) integers when determining scale type, as you correctly noted, the intervallic movement for the A natural minor scale is 2+1+2+2+1+2+2 (where 1=semitone). Now, when you reverse this (ie, descend the scale) you are moving -2-2-1-2-2-1-2.

Your confusion seems to arise as a result of not considering the minuses, but rather interpreting this descending scale as 2+2+1+2+2+1+2 (which is the mixolydian, as you noted), instead of with negative (descending) intervallic relationships.
Quote by AeolianWolf
first off, let me say that you should stay away from modes. none of this mixolydian crap. if you're not sure about this kind of stuff then modes are far beyond your grasp.

Oh Jesus Christ.
I thought I was the mega troll, but I guess I was wrong.
Don't be retarded, never discourage people from music theory. When I practice 10+ hours a day I always set aside at least 1 or 2 to make myself shine.
Discouraging someone from modes is just retarded at the utmost level of retardedness. I mean, this is the music discussion forum, right? He understands the basics, so you can shove that crap back in your wherever-it-came-from hole.

Listen, the OP is obviously not as smart as you (nor neither are any of you compared to I), though I'm pretty sure he has a point relative to Hz effects on the ear. Tomorrow I'm going to do some calc. on the distribution and compression on perceiving the notes. Maybe I should take a note from your book and tell you to shove it cause I know your puny mind would just get utterly butt-slammed by my knowledge in math when I spit out tons of equations that may-just-prove-this-silly-notion-wrong-from-a-physics-standpoint-with-actual-math. But I won't, cause I don't want meh broski getting sum r4g3 now do I?

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I answered your actual question, but in 30 words it seemed pretty clear you misunderstand large portions of the concept of modes and scales, which I wasn't, and still am not, prepared to explain.

I agree with Wolf in that you should avoid modes altogether for now, just get an understanding of the major/minor scales.

What the hell are you talking about? You just told the OP that he was totally wrong and then some mumbled crap after that did nothing for the thread. You might as well go up to a child trying to learn cosine and sine and say "Well dumbass they're not equal, but I won't tell you cause it's advanced stuff and well, you're dumb lawl". Don't pretend you didn't mean to be a dick, cause you were. You can sugar coat it all you want and piggy back off of that last line-- but you're such a **** with the way you said it I actually lol'd IRL when I read your response. The OP probably BAWWWED at your response. Though I would like to actually rep you for saying it in an uber-troll way... doesn't excuse you from being a total asshole.
Still though, as I said above-- not very musician like. Go to another forum if you can't handle yourself right... or how about this wise guy: If you're so busy, then don't post at all. Get it? Got it? GREAT!

Not that I'm saying you're wrong and that the OP knows his shit, but the way you went about it makes you more of an asshole than me.

All in all, you either help the OP, or you stfu.

Quote by nmitchell076
Generally, intervallic relationships are only considered as positive (upward-moving) integers when determining scale type, as you correctly noted, the intervallic movement for the A natural minor scale is 2+1+2+2+1+2+2 (where 1=semitone). Now, when you reverse this (ie, descend the scale) you are moving -2-2-1-2-2-1-2.

Your confusion seems to arise as a result of not considering the minuses, but rather interpreting this descending scale as 2+2+1+2+2+1+2 (which is the mixolydian, as you noted), instead of with negative (descending) intervallic relationships.

Well OP, here's your answer. This I think sums it up pretty good in your misconception. I can't describe it in any better way.

End of thread. Period. If you don't get this, then maybe AeolianWolf's wanna-be frail ego with crap advice isn't so crap after all (meaning you should actually stay away if you can't comprehend nmitchell076's post).
But then again I'd just be acting like the idiots who post that shit... which is anti-musician. So, OP, go learn modes. Go research it. The more you practice, the better.

If you're not doing 10 hours of this stuff a day you're screwed though.
Last edited by ElitiusMaxim at Jun 25, 2011,
^ He never said ''don't ever learn modes'', but implied that he should straighten out the fundamental basics of tonal theory before approaching modal music, the latter of which in itself isn't entirely applicable in many realms of contemporary music.

And while studying for 10 hours a day is of course beneficial if you can maintain interest and productivity, you're not ''screwed'' if less time is devoted daily. The effectiveness of your studies and routine far outways the excess of time devoted, which is why understanding the fundamentals of tonal theory, and its sub-ordinates of key and triad construction, intervallic recognition and understanding the patterns and characteristics of each are of absolute value when approaching more complex areas of theoretical material.

Even if you disagree, be civil when replying - there's no need to incorporate an excess of profanities and tough-guy conduct in a web-forum. You can help the OP without calling-out others.
Honestly, I found jazz_rock_feel's post to be fine - there was a lot of misinformation in the original post, which other posters have addressed accordingly. The amount of threads on modes here is staggering (particularly considering that there is a sticky), and the misinformation stretches beyond that, since each thread will be made up of a large portion of posters who don't completely understand tonal theory and reinforce an incorrect conception of modal music in the OPs.

I'm sure nobody means all that much disrespect, and a few guys here really know what they're talking about, but you've got to understand that explaining these concepts for the hundredth time may be frustrating, especially since it's all been covered in threads before.
Last edited by juckfush at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by juckfush
^ He never said ''don't ever learn modes'', but implied that he should straighten out the fundamental basics of tonal theory before approaching modal music, the latter of which in itself isn't entirely applicable in many realms of contemporary music.

if you're not sure about this kind of stuff then modes are far beyond your grasp.

DERRRRRRRRRRRP
That is literally effectively saying "don't try it kid, you suck mah ****"
The way he said it is completely sugar coated in that sense. Trust me, you're not that stupid. I hope. I know you can see exactly what he meant... I hope.
I ****ing hope. If not, oh man.

And while studying for 10 hours a day is of course beneficial if you can maintain interest and productivity, you're not ''screwed'' if less time is devoted daily. The effectiveness of your studies and routine far outways the excess of time devoted, which is why understanding the fundamentals of tonal theory, and its sub-ordinates of key and triad construction, intervallic recognition and understanding the patterns and characteristics of each are of absolute value when approaching more complex areas of theoretical material.

All that bullshit you listed is the easy part though.
Yes you are screwed, look at the industry. Broderick, Loomis, Abasi... God I could go on forever, they make all other music look like shit... and while I can play most if not all their stuff (except Broderick's insane classical renditions because he's just ****ing God), there's still even more for me to learn.
So unless you want to play in a wanna-be-metallica band, then you are actually screwed.
God-for-****ing-bid some kid wants to play in a jazz band. If he doesn't put in insane hours, he can kiss his ass goodbye. LAWL.
Quote by ElitiusMaxim
DERRRRRRRRRRRP
That is literally effectively saying "don't try it kid, you suck mah ****"
The way he said it is completely sugar coated in that sense. Trust me, you're not that stupid. I hope. I know you can see exactly what he meant... I hope.
I ****ing hope. If not, oh man.

you're wrong, you don't come in here really ever so it's ok. what he's telling this kid is to not worry about modes, they're beyond his grasp right now AND HE'S RIGHT. if the kid wants to learn music theory then he needs to start with a good foundation, if you don't have a good foundation and actually know how music works then you can't learn things later on like modes.

what you're suggesting is ridiculous and that is trying to learn modes before he understands basic musical concepts. i wouldn't tell a first grader to start with trigonometry.

Actually, no - it's saying ''understand the fundamentals, and develop your comprehension of theory accordingly as a byproduct''.

And yes-yes - they're good guitarists, bravo. However, there are many more proficient musicians, composers, and arrangers in other realms of music far surpassing metal and other forms of contemporary rock.
Denouncing everybody as worthless unless they stack 10 hours a day into their schedule seems far more demeaning than the others posts in this thread though; I guess we're all ''kids who suck and shouldn't try''. Study your theory effectively and in an within an appropriate order and structure, and you'll have a much more comprehensive understanding than if you were to jump straight into modes or analyzing the modulations in fugues.

EDIT: Directed to ElitiusMaxim, of course.
Last edited by juckfush at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by z4twenny
you're wrong, you don't come in here really ever so it's ok.

Has NOTHING to do with anything. L2stay on topic at least.

what he's telling this kid is to not worry about modes, they're beyond his grasp right now AND HE'S RIGHT.

WRONG.
This 'kid' who probably isn't as bright as I'm making him or her out to be, still has the basic foundations to learn modes and how to apply them properly. If you're Mr. IDontWannaTeachPeople, then gtfo off this forum because it's about teaching people shit. If it's beyond them (even when it's not) you go to the basics and you build it up. None of this "oh its beyond them" bullshit.
Don't be a teacher broski, you'd fail as one with that attitude.

if the kid wants to learn music theory then he needs to start with a good foundation, if you don't have a good foundation and actually know how music works then you can't learn things later on like modes.

He already has it, he understands the basics and how to construct your basic stuff.
rofl >_>

what you're suggesting is ridiculous and that is trying to learn modes before he understands basic musical concepts. i wouldn't tell a first grader to start with trigonometry.

In this case the first grader already knows triangles/Pythagorean theorem and how to use a calculator.
So: BZZZZT. Wrong.

Quote by juckfush
Actually, no - it's saying ''understand the fundamentals, and develop your comprehension of theory accordingly as a byproduct''.

Actually, no - it's saying "you're not smart enough to know this so shut up and go away", the exact OPPOSITE attitude someone should have. Why you're defending it is beyond me. Unless you enjoy parading around as a narrow minded twit, you should go to the pit. Rofl that rhymes XD!

And yes-yes - they're good guitarists, bravo. However, there are many more proficient musicians, composers, and arrangers in other realms of music far surpassing metal and other forms of contemporary rock.

Oh no, I didn't list people from other genres because I forgot that it would take-for-****ing-ever. What ever shall we do? LOL
Though lets be honest, metal is by far the climax of music. Best mixed with a dash of jazz, some classical herb and some blues gravy sauce. Otherwise it's stale.

Denouncing everybody as worthless unless they stack 10 hours a day into their schedule seems far more demeaning than the others posts in this thread though

I only demean people like you who make such assinine posts. I help many others and have probably been more use to you than your ego wants you to believe ^_^

I guess we're all ''kids who suck and shouldn't try''.

Hey that's the spirit, now you're sounding like AeolianWolf. GJ GJ GJ

Study your theory effectively and in an within an appropriate order and structure, and you'll have a much more comprehensive understanding than if you were to jump straight into modes or analyzing the modulations in fugues.

EDIT: Directed to ElitiusMaxim, of course.

For the last time hopefully, we're passed that *facepalm here* lawl
Quote by ElitiusMaxim
Has NOTHING to do with anything. L2stay on topic at least.

actually it did, i want the TS to be aware that you just kinda randomly decided to start "helping" and that your help isn't going to actually help.

Quote by ElitiusMaxim

WRONG.
This 'kid' who probably isn't as bright as I'm making him or her out to be, still has the basic foundations to learn modes and how to apply them properly. If you're Mr. IDontWannaTeachPeople, then gtfo off this forum because it's about teaching people shit. If it's beyond them (even when it's not) you go to the basics and you build it up. None of this "oh its beyond them" bullshit.
Don't be a teacher broski, you'd fail as one with that attitude.

i've been on this forum forever, why'd you stroll in here today other than to be a trolling douche? this forum is about asking questions, i'm not here to give the TS a sermon. theres plenty of material on UG for him to study, even *GASP* a theory FAQ at the top of this page. you wanna give a tutorial on the basics up to modes then go for it, but if the TS was semi intelligent they wouldn't listen to you because....

Quote by ElitiusMaxim

He already has it, he understands the basics and how to construct your basic stuff.
rofl >_>

In this case the first grader already knows triangles/Pythagorean theorem and how to use a calculator.
So: BZZZZT. Wrong. .

if you had any idea what you were talking about you'd have noticed that the TS isn't ready for modes. they probably don't have an idea of how the basic major and minor scales function if they're asking the questions they're asking.

Quote by ElitiusMaxim

Actually, no - it's saying "you're not smart enough to know this so shut up and go away", the exact OPPOSITE attitude someone should have. Why you're defending it is beyond me. Unless you enjoy parading around as a narrow minded twit, you should go to the pit. Rofl that rhymes XD!.

you're the only person saying this. on that note, you might want to return to the pit. all any of us said is that the TS isn't ready for modes yet.

Quote by ElitiusMaxim

Oh no, I didn't list people from other genres because I forgot that it would take-for-****ing-ever. What ever shall we do? LOL
Though lets be honest, metal is by far the climax of music. Best mixed with a dash of jazz, some classical herb and some blues gravy sauce. Otherwise it's stale.!.

yeah and he's the narrow minded twit

back on topic, to the TS sit down and work out your basic major and minor scales and learn them forwards and backwards. once you have a good grasp on how those work then modes are a bit easier in the actual sense of writing modally. really most music isn't modal, musicians just refer to the patterns that they're playing by as their modal relatives "i play D dorian over the D minor chord" but its not really modally in dorian because the song is in C major and the musician is still playing notes from the C major scale.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jun 25, 2011,
Wow, I have only one thing left to say.

Quote by ElitiusMaxim
I only demean people like you who make such assinine posts.

Quote by ElitiusMaxim
such assinine posts.

Quote by ElitiusMaxim
assinine

Quote by ElitiusMaxim
assinine

Quote by ElitiusMaxim
assinine

A G F E D C B A

That's mixolydian.

no it's not. It's Am
A mixolydian is A B C# D E F# G A(backwards, it goes like A G F# E D C# B A). I think you got confused for no reason at all and this thread turned into a shitstorm:P
Last edited by hames jetfield at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by z4twenny
actually it did, i want the TS to be aware that you just kinda randomly decided to start "helping" and that your help isn't going to actually help.

My help does wonders, it's made me what I am today. If I didn't know what I was talking about, I'd have failed a long time ago. Since I have to be at the uttermost top to compete with the top, if I'm not perfect in most aspects, I fall behind. That's just the nature of the music industry. In addition, perfection isn't everything. My creative skills are always pushed to new levels, and one day I do hope to be like the true elite-- but it takes decades.
So, once again: Wrong.

i've been on this forum forever, why'd you stroll in here today other than to be a trolling douche? this forum is about asking questions, i'm not here to give the TS a sermon. theres plenty of material on UG for him to study, even *GASP* a theory FAQ at the top of this page. you wanna give a tutorial on the basics up to modes then go for it, but if the TS was semi intelligent they wouldn't listen to you because....

No one cares how long you've been on here.
When you offer crap advice, it's crap advice no matter how long you've been here.
How about then Mr. KnowItAll, you refer the OP to these articles you're referring to right now instead of continuing your losing battle?
Put up or shut up as they say, give him the links and then retire.

if you had any idea what you were talking about you'd have noticed that the TS isn't ready for modes. they probably don't have an idea of how the basic major and minor scales function if they're asking the questions they're asking.

If you had any idea what you were talking about, I never said he was (since it is possible that hes quite dumb), but he does know the major and minor stuff. He was able to construct the minor formula and successfully create A aeolian. Thus I'm sure he could make C ionian, D dorian...etc, hell, G# locrian if he wanted to.
Modes aren't some difficult topic, you're making them way harder than it is. People like you are confusing the crap out of guitarists. People like you don't want to help... because if he doesn't understand it, now is the time to teach him or her what they need to know.
The notion of "oh hes not ready" is complete bullshit. I started a student on his second week into this stuff and he had NO issues grasping it when I ensured he had the foundations down. So, yes, you're point is now invalid.

you're the only person saying this. on that note, you might want to return to the pit. all any of us said is that the TS isn't ready for modes yet.

I speak the truth, everyone else in here is being an elitist on their high horse.
Now of course, I'M supposed to be the one who is elitist but you have wanna-be's who know nothing pretending to be one. RAWR.
BTW I guess if Christianity said give your money to Jesus Christ and some guy said "don't they're just taking money from you", I guess you'd go give that money because you're a sheep right?

yeah and he's the narrow minded twit

When the truth comes along and burns the impure, all they can do is sit there dumbfounded and in some feeble attempt to feel significant, repeat the truth with sarcasm because they have no argument left to battle with ^_^
Gf.

back on topic, to the TS sit down and work out your basic major and minor scales and learn them forwards and backwards. once you have a good grasp on how those work then modes are a bit easier in the actual sense of writing modally. really most music isn't modal, musicians just refer to the patterns that they're playing by as their modal relatives "i play D dorian over the D minor chord" but its not really modally in dorian because the song is in C major and the musician is still playing notes from the C major scale.

There we go.
Was that so hard?

See, now you're the kind of guy I'm refering to. Yes you are, yes you are!

Honestly though... AeolianWolf, you need to shut up and take a note from z4twenny. This was actually a good response and how it should be done. Noticved how he set aside time to tell the OP what to do and how to go about it? Do this next time.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Wow, I have only one thing left to say.

As usual, no one is shocked that you can't contribute anything to the discussion
Seems to be a trend with you. Or you're just a troll who likes posting huge images for attention. The emocore forum is that way kid --->
Thanks for playing.

PS: Can you try harder next time? I yawned IRL.
OP!

What you're missing is that you don't "build" a scale "backwards". The formula WHWWHWW is how you can build an minor scale ascending from a root note - so if you try to apply that descending you're obviously going to end up with something else!

If you want to get a descending formula, just read the formula right to left and it'll work out.

Any questions or owt?

... but he can't count up to 8 and back down again without getting puzzled?

Neat analogy!

Hmmmmm, or should I have gone for a vector joke? Equally applicable...

(oh, and Schecter 7 represent )
Quote by Freepower

(oh, and Schecter 7 represent )

yeah buddy!

i had a long rational response typed up and even put in.... but i don't care. i hope the TS doesn't take the rantings of a troll over people who have much more experience. modes aren't super difficult once you get a good fundamental knowledge of how music works, but it's not something you teach in 2 weeks of guitar lessons.
Quote by Freepower

... but he can't count up to 8 and back down again without getting puzzled?

Neat analogy!

Hmmmmm, or should I have gone for a vector joke? Equally applicable...

Hey he CAN count up to 8
Just he's going forwards with 12345678 and backwards with 12345678 XD, but we can fix that.

Quote by z4twenny
i had a long rational response typed up and even put in.... but i don't care. i hope the TS doesn't take the rantings of a troll over people who have much more experience. modes aren't super difficult once you get a good fundamental knowledge of how music works, but it's not something you teach in 2 weeks of guitar lessons.

My ass, don't lie. If you really did you'd have posted it. Think we were all born yesterday and can't see a lie in front of our faces. lawl.
It's funny cause my student totally debunked everything you just said.

Anyways, Freepower solved the thread and AeolianWolf is nowhere to be found giving good advice (as usual). On behalf of the OP I request a lock since mega amounts of trolls have shit on this thread. Luckily I put them in their place.
Elitius, serious suggestion here - why don't you track the TS down and give him some one on one tuition?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
With his ego as big as it is I think he actually might and would you really want to do that to the ts?

To ego maximus - either put up or shut up. I've not heard anything other than your ego, no wise words, no spectacular music, No quantifiable exhibition of theoretical knowledge.just general douchebaggery, at which you seem to excel.
Maximus, the fact that you introduce your students to modes after 2 weeks of learning theory tells us nothing apart from the fact you know less about music theory than you're stating.

With a strong foundation in basic theory, the student would be smart enough to make use of accidentals to accommodate chromatic harmony, modes don't even need to be mentioned. The fact that you introduce these early just shows that you're not teaching (and probably lack) a fundamental knowledge of music.
Quote by steven seagull
Elitius, serious suggestion here - why don't you track the TS down and give him some one on one tuition?

I like this idea!

Quote by z4twenny
With his ego as big as it is I think he actually might and would you really want to do that to the ts?

He would. Learn from the best is the only way to go.

To ego maximus - either put up or shut up. I've not heard anything other than your ego, no wise words, no spectacular music, No quantifiable exhibition of theoretical knowledge.just general douchebaggery, at which you seem to excel.

Shows how little you know. Please don't think I actually thought anything of you in the firstplace though.
Plus the thread has already been answered, go read my posts. I know you lack the ability-- but maybe... JUST maybe-- you'll see which ones I felt were sufficient enough to impart the OP with the knowledge he needs to get back to his shit.
I'm not going to beat the dead horse with this topic, plus I'm tired of beating the dead horse with respect to owning you each time you post such ridiculous nonsense. I'd thought you have learned by now

Quote by griffRG7321
Maximus, the fact that you introduce your students to modes after 2 weeks of learning theory tells us nothing apart from the fact you know less about music theory than you're stating.

With a strong foundation in basic theory, the student would be smart enough to make use of accidentals to accommodate chromatic harmony, modes don't even need to be mentioned. The fact that you introduce these early just shows that you're not teaching (and probably lack) a fundamental knowledge of music.

Wrong.
Do you think before you speak? Or rather type? Don't worry that's a rhetiorical "no".

If I have capable students, they learn it. Simple as that. Some of them I don't even need to teach this stuff because they just pick it up due to common intuition.

If it's such a hard topic for you to impart to students, musicianship is not for you. If they're clumsy dumbasses, I obviously don't. I assume you have some intelligence to have already know this though...right? Then again after reading your post I lol'd and facepalmed a bit.
Last edited by ElitiusMaxim at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by ElitiusMaxim

Wrong.
Do you think before you speak? Or rather type? Don't worry that's a rhetiorical "no".

Trying to humiliate people on a forum doesn't work, no one on here knows who anyone else is in real life (except the ones I have on facebook). Your trying to insult pixels on a screen, congratulations.

Quote by ElitiusMaxim
If I have capable students, they learn it. Simple as that. Some of them I don't even need to teach this stuff because they just pick it up due to common intuition.

But these 'capable' students aren't capable enough to figure out how to use accidentals if a non-diatonic chord shows up

Quote by ElitiusMaxim
If it's such a hard topic for you to impart to students, musicianship is not for you. If they're clumsy dumbasses, I obviously don't. I assume you have some intelligence to have already know this though...right? Then again after reading your post I lol'd and facepalmed a bit.

Oh my god you're right, I'm not a musician if i don't know what modes are , please teach me them?
Quote by griffRG7321
Trying to humiliate people on a forum doesn't work, no one on here knows who anyone else is in real life (except the ones I have on facebook). Your trying to insult pixels on a screen, congratulations.

And you're raging over them like a little kid Guess it does work from your point of view.
Congrats.

But these 'capable' students aren't capable enough to figure out how to use accidentals if a non-diatonic chord shows up

They already know that, I said I teach them the foundations. Stop being stupid for the sake of it.

Oh my god you're right, I'm not a musician if i don't know what modes are , please teach me them?

Completely mis-read my post, but I'm not surprised. Everything you've said this far shows how little you know. Stop embarrassing yourself kid
Elitus maxim must like limp bizkit cuz he keeps trollin trollin trollin

For real though, reported for excessive trolling
Quote by Keth
Wow guys, are you seriously trying to respond/'reason' with a troll?
Just ignore or report him.

Don't worry I already reported them. Kid.

Mods obviously want this topic continuation considering 3+ mods have already been in here and done nothing about it. I even asked them to lock it since the OP has his answer, so we can throw your silly notion out the window.
Quote by z4twenny
Elitus maxim must like limp bizkit cuz he keeps trollin trollin trollin

For real though, reported for excessive trolling

I lol'ed at your first line

For real though, if I report you a fourth time I'll get in trouble for flooding the mod inbox.
Oh wait.

Seriously guys, don't feed the trolls.

ED :

Mods obviously want this topic continuation considering 3+ mods have already been in here and done nothing about it.

Despite all the whining about us being Nazi overlords, let it be known that sometimes we exercise the "benefit of the doubt". And sometimes people just keep pushing their luck.

AlanHB comment: And elitus, something was done about it if you care to check your email.