Is analog always the best option? They are usually a lot more, but I alway see analogs recommended the most for quality
no. either can be great. just depends on what kinda sound you're going for. analog usually has a more warm sound-which some people love for effects such as delay. but personally i prefer digital delay, precise with no natural clipping. it really just depends. a lotta times the whole analog being better things is just blown outta proportion.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
^ But Tape Delay is really the best =P

TS, it depends on the application. Just experiment and see what you like. Then, if necessary, save up the few extra dollars and shell out for whatever you find the best.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
like slash_rocks said it all comes down to preference. I like digital stuff as well, which is great because they've got all kinds of neat toys like the Axe-FX and AmpliTube and such. Think of it this way, analogue waves are curvy and wave-like, hence the wave part of it haha. But Digital waves are like steps, and no matter how small or how many you get, they'll never be as smooth as the analogue which are naturally smooth. That's what gives it such a warm, smooth, sound. The way I see it though is that with the technology they have now they can make those little digital "steps" so tiny, it's getting to the point where even the trained ear won't be able to tell the difference.
when it comes down to it, just use your ears. if you like what you hear, stick with it. many people on these forums have been fooled over and over with less-than-stellar products producing amazing tones that many snobs like to claim are impossible to attain with anything that isn't analog/valve/etc.

of course there IS a line to cross when all you use is bottom of the barrel junk and crappy quality stuff. but you'd be surprised how much a simple EQ pedal can fix the tarnished sound of just about any half decent rig.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
when it comes down to it, just use your ears. if you like what you hear, stick with it. many people on these forums have been fooled over and over with less-than-stellar products producing amazing tones that many snobs like to claim are impossible to attain with anything that isn't analog/valve/etc.

of course there IS a line to cross when all you use is bottom of the barrel junk and crappy quality stuff. but you'd be surprised how much a simple EQ pedal can fix the tarnished sound of just about any half decent rig.

+1
Quote by VioletFox
+1

+2
I can't tell too much of a difference.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by hoosierxhoosier
Is analog always the best option? They are usually a lot more, but I alway see analogs recommended the most for quality

There's a lot of hate for digital because when digital pedals and modeling first came out, they sounded sterile, cold and dry due to the limited processing power of early digital amps / pedals etc.

However digital signal processing has come a LOOOONG way since then. Digital can now sound just as good, and in some cases even better than analog pedals.

There's a lot of preference for analog pedals due to the prejudice holdover from earlier digital pedals.

Today, it really is more about personal preference and application. Sometimes you want crisp, pristine clarity in your delay. Other times you want the warm and warble in your chorus. Maybe other times, you may want to model how a 6505 sounds with EL84s or KT88s without having to break apart the amp and do some major surgery.

There are terrible analog and digital pedals, just as there are good analog and digital pedals. There's a time and place for digital and analog, so neither is inherently better than the other, its all about how you use it and what you prefer.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 26, 2011,