hey guys whatsup
I remember a while ago finding a list of dozens of famous bands/guitarists with ways to get their specific tone settings in some UG thread. I was wonderin if anyone ever made one for bassists, cause i couldn't find it in the search bar
Thanks
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Last edited by nirvanagrunge13 at Jun 24, 2011,
I'm presuming you mean tones on albums? Bass tones are usually a lot more interesting and complex than guitar tones, where the same signal has been processed up to 5 times in different ways. Don't know how any bass tones were made exactly off the top of my head but I've learned a trick or two.
i guess more than anything I really just mean EQ settings. the whole pedal/effects thing gets wayy to expensive and complicated
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
sadly, we tend to be a little more creative than the guitar forum (read: not likely to find a band willing to deal with our sudden improvised jazz odysseys). Most of us have our own tones we like to play. if you post a couple songs you want the sound of we could give you some pointers in the right direction- all good tones come from somewhere, right

hell. 10 bucks says it's a mids cut jazz bass through an Ampeg SVT with an 8x10.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
A good bass tone is a good bass tone. With a simple 3-band EQ, or even a 2-band, you just twist the nobs a few times and you can get a good useable sound.

The "signature" tones of certain bass players have more to do with their gear setup and technique rather than their EQ settings.

Love the Low end
Famous tones, I guess, clanky round wound, deep flat wound thump with bridge mute, Overdriven tube amp, sub bass dub and reggae.

most famous tone, round wounds, P bass, Ampeg
Hunter burgan (afi) uses a lot of treble, and brightness. A highway one jazz, stainless steel strings, and some svts should do it. Johnny Christ uses a lot of mids, with the bass slightly higher than the treble, with a ebmm stingray hh, power slinkies, and I think gk amps but I'm not 100% on that. Mikey way uses a standard, and a highway one p bass, svts, and wither raises the treble slightly, or dissent touch the eq at all. That's all I've got.....
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Last edited by ETHANEVIL at Jun 26, 2011,
Listen to kyuss. Bassists will like you.
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
I know that Cliff Burton used a Ric' with a Morley distortion/wah combo-pedal, he switched roughly round MoP to an Aria bass. Dont know about his amp though...

Jaco Pastorius = pure fretless flatwound J-bass sex.
Lemmy Kilmister = Ric' into a Marshall guitar head, with a bass cab. Trebly.
Chris Squire = Ric' with a Pic'.
Almost every disco or 80's song = P-bass or J-bass into a Plexi.
Surf = P-bass or a Mosrite into a Fender Bassman.
Korn = floppy strings, slap near the bridge and a heavy valve bass amp.

If there's any flaw, don't patronize me. I'm only trying to get into the conservatory to study bass
Last edited by Lord_Doku at Jun 27, 2011,
According to metallica's gear list on their official website cliff used a big MUFF pi distortion.
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
If memory serves I think Cliff Burton used either the Mesa D180 or the Mesa 400. Not entirely sure though.
Save Cliff Burton for the infamous bass tones thread.

9 times out of ten, its a passive Fender Precision running into an Ampeg Classic with an 8x10 cabinet; 0.9 times out of ten, its a Gibson Thunderbird. Bassists in popular music are seldom imaginative.