Is there anything I can do to improve the quality of a fretboard? I'm refinishing a cheap beater guitar and the fretboard is horrid..but I dont feel like buying/building a new fretboard/neck.

Basically, can I use sandpaper (~400 grit...) to improve the FB? rosewood fretboard...faux MOP dot inlays...ty
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
its not that it need rehydrating...it just looks all scratched up and word...not pleasent smooth worn but dragged-thru-the-dirt-by-a-truck worn....
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

Shameless self bump!
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If you were to use sandpaper, I would suggest some grit much higher than 400, something along the lines of 1600 would work best. But, I don't know if you should sand it or not anyway. If its roughed to hell you should probably sand it, but how it will affect the possible dyes/stains/oils I have no idea.
I'd wrap the sandpaper tightly around a small, flat, steel ruler or block to keep everything level. Don't just use your finger, or you might end up with something like a scalloped fretboard. Use grit finer than 600. Sand with the grain, not over the frets.
I wouldn't wet sand raw wood. Wet sand clear finishes, but I've never heard of wet sanding raw wood, it raises the grain. Good luck.