Speaking for most people who are interested in underground music, some of them become rather extremist, to the sense "THIS IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE! IT HAS TO BE TRUE!" Now I'll say it does contradict itself much, especially if your a black metal person or w/e, and I'll confess I am very much influenced by the underground, but **** this if some group of idiot adolescents are gonna tell me how to be "True", I find it rather funny and a waste of time. There are many things I enjoy in the underground, and there are many "mainstream" things I enjoy just as much, and all of it is based off of my opinion, but I get the feeling that once some people get into certain scenes, by people I speak of "teens" because it is not as likely for adults, their opinions on what they like have been changed on what they should like, and somehow they believe out of all of it it is their own opinion. It's like listening to some random band everyday, you don't like it, but you listen to it anyway just to be "true".

I'm just wandering if anyone feels the same?
Idk they're idiots. I was reading the issue of GW when they were interviewing Soundgarden after they reunited and Chris Cornell was talking about how they didn't fit in the punk and metal crowds because of how close-minded they were. The metal crowd hated them because they weren't fast enough, and punk bitched at them because they played guitar solos, which isn't teh punk.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
The only people I've met that are obsessed with underground are people who listen to to fake metalcore that isn't even underground.
People get a sense of being better than other people when they think only they think a certain way or know certain things. Like holding a secret that will keep people guessing. I've been there.
Quote by metaldud536
People get a sense of being better than other people when they think only they think a certain way or know certain things. Like holding a secret that will keep people guessing. I've been there.

Yeah man I agree, I just turned 18, and while I was being 16-17 I've really been focused on being true, having some knowledge and skill that makes me feel somewhat superior to others, when in fact that "Secret" wouldn't matter two shits in the real world.
Quote by KingKrillup
to be fair, a lot of mainstream stuff does suck.

I think he means more of "to be part of this underground group you specifically have to do/like __, __ and __, but if you like __, __ and __, you're a poser." Not mainstream sucking
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
To play Devil's Advocate, I really do think that once a genre or a style reaches the mainstream, a lot of crap gets there with it, and tends to pollute the 'good stuff'.
True, this happens with underground stuff as well. But it's much more noticeable with mainstream.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by KingKrillup
to be fair, a lot of mainstream stuff does suck.

Well yeah that's true, but all that "Mainstream" means is that either it makes much more money or it has a larger group of people liking it, such as "Pizza" it's a mainstream food is it not? Everyone likes pizza don't they? Well not really....Another example would be Elfen Lied, it's a pretty damn good Anime show, it's a piece of art, and it's one of the more mainstream anime shows, because it made plenty of cash and many people have seen it. If you look back in the 70's or part of the 80's most rock and metal was mainstream, and much of that stuff was brilliant music! Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin were mainstream in their day, but if I was to listen to Rachmaninoff then I would be "underground" right? It's really stupid how this stuff spreads like a virus, and as long as we keep on categorizing things, we'll remain primitive, while massive corporations are making money from our little pep talk
Quote by Laprevraven
Well yeah that's true, but all that "Mainstream" means is that either it makes much more money or it has a larger group of people liking it, such as "Pizza" it's a mainstream food is it not? Everyone likes pizza don't they? Well not really....Another example would be Elfen Lied, it's a pretty damn good Anime show, it's a piece of art, and it's one of the more mainstream anime shows, because it made plenty of cash and many people have seen it. If you look back in the 70's or part of the 80's most rock and metal was mainstream, and much of that stuff was brilliant music! Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin were mainstream in their day, but if I was to listen to Rachmaninoff then I would be "underground" right? It's really stupid how this stuff spreads like a virus, and as long as we keep on categorizing things, we'll remain primitive, while massive corporations are making money from our little pep talk

Not gunna stop, plus not all categorizing is bad.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Not gunna stop, plus not all categorizing is bad.

By categorizing, I meant by one another, each individual, telling each of ourselves within MUSIC how to be like. Now I know how many people there are living in this planet, and it's not good if we were all thinking for ourselves because it wouldn't work, it would be Anarchy, but don't tell me what to listen to, how to be true, what to dress, when it comes to music, especially music, because music is a special thing, it's supposed to be an escape from authority and shit like that.

I'm just saying, things may change, but the only thing that's stopping us from moving on is us, simple as that, by moving on I mean becoming a bit more open minded to what we are actually doing here within music due to music, which is why it's so contradictory.
Last edited by Laprevraven at Jun 24, 2011,
Logically, if you sell out, you sell records. You must never sell records or else you're a ****ing sell out. If you don't wear face paint and look like a gorilla, you can **** off because you're selling out.

****er.

That's how it roles mah brethren.
People like to stand out and be unique.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Laprevraven
Yeah man I agree, I just turned 18, and while I was being 16-17 I've really been focused on being true, having some knowledge and skill that makes me feel somewhat superior to others, when in fact that "Secret" wouldn't matter two shits in the real world.

OP may have answered his own question.

you loose staying 'true' when you hit the 18* mark cus by that time if you like the music and recreate it theres no point in doing anything else to support your love for it.
yeah wear a tshirt to support.
no music is underground anymore btw.

*some dont lose it lmfao
To be honest, when I listen to metal I can't stand 80% of the popular bands. I can't stand 60% of the underground either, but in reality I just happen to listen to a lot of underground/
Quote by The_Casinator
To be honest, when I listen to metal I can't stand 80% of the popular bands. I can't stand 60% of the underground either, but in reality I just happen to listen to a lot of underground/

alll about that thrash
This is why I don't listen to anything I don't like and drive to the radio. Why I listen to the older stuff, when youtube didn't exist in 1976, when I decided today that Metroid: Prime has better Dubstep (Techno, ambient, whatever the hell you want to call it, it's made from computer noises and gigahertz and arranged by us to be music) than half of the clubs in the world playing DJ Dubmaster /Krauws\ecKs or whatever. Why I practice obsessively to break myself of the binding chains of what is to be accepted or approved by some money hongering man or woman, to be whatever the hell I feel like being.

/Quick rant
Being underground is sooo mainstream Being on mars is cool though, there's not a lot of people there so it's not that popular yet

AEDIT: Seriously though maybe they just like feeling special because they listen to something that's not that popular?
I always hate it when I start to like a band that barely anyone knows about.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jun 25, 2011,
I never got this. I want my band to become incredibly famous. Why wouldn't you want that?