Hello everybody

I am a left handed guitarist, and when I look at other peoples fingers as they solo, I noticed their pinky curls up when they play. When I play, I dont find my pinky curling up, its kind of stationary right up above my ring finger.

Do you think that would affect my performance or is it nothing to worry about?
You should be fine, but you'll find out awfully quickly as you progress as a guitarist. If you find yourself unable to play certain things because of your technique, obviously something needs to change. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
My pinky sticks right out. Kinda annoying.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Quote by ltate15
Hello everybody

I am a left handed guitarist, and when I look at other peoples fingers as they solo, I noticed their pinky curls up when they play. When I play, I dont find my pinky curling up, its kind of stationary right up above my ring finger.

Do you think that would affect my performance or is it nothing to worry about?

That's actually not a bad thing at all. As long as there's no tension in your hand to maintain that position for your finger, you'll be be fine.

Curling your finger is counterproductive, since you have to first uncurl it, then push down to fret a note with it. If your pinkie is already uncurled, you can train it to be the same distance from the frets as your other fingers; however, even without doing that, you're saving yourself effort by keeping it uncurled. In fact, you'll see that a lot of people (not all, since there are almost always exceptions) who curl their pinkies tend to not use that finger very much. I'm not gonna say that correlation indicates causation here, but the two appear to be linked. So if you're not curling your pinkie, you're probably gonna end up using it more than someone who does.
Quote by Geldin
That's actually not a bad thing at all. As long as there's no tension in your hand to maintain that position for your finger, you'll be be fine.

Curling your finger is counterproductive, since you have to first uncurl it, then push down to fret a note with it. If your pinkie is already uncurled, you can train it to be the same distance from the frets as your other fingers; however, even without doing that, you're saving yourself effort by keeping it uncurled. In fact, you'll see that a lot of people (not all, since there are almost always exceptions) who curl their pinkies tend to not use that finger very much. I'm not gonna say that correlation indicates causation here, but the two appear to be linked. So if you're not curling your pinkie, you're probably gonna end up using it more than someone who does.

Thank you so much. I was just worried because everybody I saw didnt have the same movement of the pinky as I did. And it turns out its actually a good thing lol.