Ok so I bought a GK Backline 600 head a little while ago and while it is a pretty damn good head it can't get the slightly driven tubish sound I want. I was thinking of exchanging it for an Ampeg Micro-VR head that I played earlier today that blew me away, even though it's SS it has all the tube flavor I want. My only concern is how loud it will be, I heard it's 150w into 8ohms and 260? Into 4ohms despite Ampeg rating it lower. This will be powering an acoustic b410 8ohm cabinet or hartke (paper cone) 8x10 4ohm cabinet depending on where i'm playing, will it be around the same volume as my GK?
Quote by Bag'ed
Hahaha, any paticular reason why the bassist needs to be female or are you just noncing?
You know, school girl and all that, 14-17?
Man, just get out your School of Rock DVD out and crack one off, don't go ruining young girls virtues!
Last edited by poooop at Jun 25, 2011,
No way to say really. Watts doesn't equal volume, just output power, which is kind of the reason you'll hear/read people saying; "it's a really loud (x amount) watts" about certain amps. But with the wattage difference it'd be safe to assume your GK would be louder when turned up. Not to say you couldn't get away with the Micro VR, I've wanted to try one of those heads for a while, if you want some sound examples the bass on the most recent Kings Of Leon album was recorded with one and the 210 cab.

But with all that being said, what's your budget, location and what kind of gigs are you playing? We may be able to recommend something a bit more appropriate for what you're willing to spend.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
The tube emulation takes place in the preamp section.
Maybe you need a preamp to get a tube sound.

Tabdog
My budget is the $300 I spent on the GK a few weeks ago, I live on Long Island, and I play at The Crazy Donkey, Vibe Lounge, Broadway Bar, and a few backyard/block party shows with no PA support for instruments
EDIT:I am only looking a heads, it will be hooked up to an acoustic B410 (8ohm) or a hartke 8x10 (paper cone, 4ohm) depending on the venue
Quote by Bag'ed
Hahaha, any paticular reason why the bassist needs to be female or are you just noncing?
Man, just get out your School of Rock DVD out and crack one off, don't go ruining young girls virtues!
Last edited by poooop at Jun 25, 2011,
Get this. Done.

EDIT: There's some awesome stuff on your craigslist. I wanna go to Long Island with about 2k spending money now.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Jun 26, 2011,
Quote by consecutive e
Get this. Done.

EDIT: There's some awesome stuff on your craigslist. I wanna go to Long Island with about 2k spending money now.

I would get it but I have already spent $300 on the GK I have and plan to EXCHANGE it for a new head, I don't have the money in cash, I have it in guitarcenter store credit
Quote by Bag'ed