I took lessons for about a year and while I didn't learn theory I learned a couple of basic scale patterns for Major Minor and Pentatonic. These are something around (1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4) for pentatonic and such forth. I can also do Spanish Gypsy, but I don't like playing that (I'm not sure why I just never did). I also learned some fun little exercises like groups of 3, 4, and what I believe to be triads, but he taught it as skip a note, back a note. Just to illustrate using the pentatonic pattern above, 6-1, 5-1, 6-4, 5-3, 5-1, etc. This was just to illustrate the exercise. I have been trying to learn to read music (and scale charts), to little avail, but I can do these patterns all up and down the neck, and have gotten good at them. Any tips to learn more theory then just being able to break some basic scales into simple patterns, or learn more scales? I can read tab, but not music, and I can't read scale charts. Any tips on where to go? I know my teacher sucked, but I just want to improve my playing.
If you want theory go here:
musictheory.net

**** the other shit.
You don't need to read scale charts for now. When you become God we can discuss that later mah homie.

Practice a lot btw. Show that shitty teacher how much he sucked the ****.
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
Tip: When you learn scales focus on the notes instead of patterns.

Tip: That's wrong. You can do both. Eventually you'll learn the notes anyways.
Quote by ElitiusMaxim
Tip: That's wrong. You can do both. Eventually you'll learn the notes anyways.

learning notes is more beneficial because that way you have no risk of getting trapped in a pattern/possition
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
Tip: When you learn scales focus on the notes instead of patterns.

I don't know the notes, that is part of the issue. I can only read tab, not sheet music.

Quote by ElitiusMaxim
If you want theory go here:
musictheory.net

**** the other shit.
You don't need to read scale charts for now. When you become God we can discuss that later mah homie.

Practice a lot btw. Show that shitty teacher how much he sucked the ****.

The funny part is at one point I had practiced like made to get where I am with the scales and showed him up a little. I had been doing lessons for six months or so and didn't have a ton good lessons to practice on. He was gone for 3 weeks for the winter holidays to visit his family so I didn't have lessons for a few weeks. I sat down and did the 4 scales (I actually did SG then because he made me do it, I ignore it now) and just did all the exercises at least twice a day or so. I came back and just ripped through the exercises he wanted me to do. He was shocked. It was a fun moment for me.

I'm looking for where I can take this and improve myself a lot other then recognize there is a scale playing in music (though I can't tell you what one).
Quote by hr113
learning notes is more beneficial because that way you have no risk of getting trapped in a pattern/possition

While I would technically agree with your way, if you know all the shapes you won't get trapped either.
Look at Loomis, he doesn't know any theory at all yet he ****ing slays everyone.
Quote by hr113

Maybe I'm getting pattern and shape mixed up in terms. What listed was the fingering for the scale. Pentatonic (First finger, forth finger, first, third, etc. ). I actually practiced them all up and down the neck using a 12 or 20 sided die. I would roll then play that position, unless I rolled over 15 that is due to my preference. Kept things fresh and I learned to play them all up and down the neck.
Quote by kharn_tb
I don't know the notes, that is part of the issue. I can only read tab, not sheet music.

You don't need to read sheet music to know note names; I can't read any sheet music but I can tell you the notes of the fretboard and the scales I use most often.

Quote by ElitiusMaxim
While I would technically agree with your way, if you know all the shapes you won't get trapped either.
Look at Loomis, he doesn't know any theory at all yet he ****ing slays everyone.

Only... if you watch his lesson videos he's done for guitar magazines and so one, he obviously does know some theory. He's not at the level of the jazz greats but he knows enough for his own purposes, that much is clear.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Only... if you watch his lesson videos he's done for guitar magazines and so one, he obviously does know some theory. He's not at the level of the jazz greats but he knows enough for his own purposes, that much is clear.

It's funny because in his DVDs and stuff he puts out, the cuts show him asking what each chord/note he is playing would be.

I'd say as of June 2011 he probably knows some now since he probably felt retarded being in the limelight and not knowing how to construct a major chord/scale-- but no one really gives a ****ing shit because it's Loomis and he's God.
Quote by eatfresh1736
you gotta learn all the modes of the diatonic scales. More importantly, learn how they connect to each other. That way, you can play all over the neck and come up with solos that aren't stuck in one position

That is not playing with modes, that's just knowing scales. Please, stop using the word modes until you understand it because right now, you're about as far as you could be from knowing what you're talking about.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.