So I'm getting a Fender Mustang amp soon, and want to know if it has the volume to practice with a drummer and a bass player. I really want the Mustang III, but it falls just outside of my budget.

Also, can the headphone out, or speaker-emulated line out, be plugged into a PA?
It's a 40 watt amp, am I correct? Then yeah, that's good enough to play along with a band and still be pretty loud.

You can use the line out for a PA, although trust me, it's always better to mic your amp.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
So you're buying it soon, but you don't know if it has enough volume or if the line out can be plugged into a pa..
I would say you should do a bit more research before you think of buying this. Go to music stores and try it out and stuff like that. It's also a modelling amp... so it won't sound great...

but to answer your question...
The headphone out can always be plugged into a PA with enough wires and connectors and so forth, same with the line out... but putting mics in front of it will always sound better.
And I don't think it will be loud enough to really compete with a drummer, you could probably hear it, but you won't be blasting out anybody's eardrums with it...

Edit: just a note, watts is not equal to volume.
Last edited by Knucklehead Dyl at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by Knucklehead Dyl
So you're buying it soon, but you don't know if it has enough volume or if the line out can be plugged into a pa..
I would say you should do a bit more research before you think of buying this. Go to music stores and try it out and stuff like that. It's also a modelling amp... so it won't sound great...

but to answer your question...
The headphone out can always be plugged into a PA with enough wires and connectors and so forth, same with the line out... but putting mics in front of it will always sound better.
And I don't think it will be loud enough to really compete with a drummer, you could probably hear it, but you won't be blasting out anybody's eardrums with it...

Edit: just a note, watts is not equal to volume.

I've actually done a good bit of research on amps. I haven't really found a straight answer on the line out to the PA question, but I was pretty sure it could. And yes I am aware that this is a modeling amp, but I'm new to the guitar scene, so the multiple styles and effects is appealing to me. I also plan on trying out other amps before I buy, but the research I've done has me leaning toward the Mustangs. Anyways, thanks for addressing the volume question.
can't you get a used mustang 3?
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Radtastic89
I would go for the Mustang 3 just in case you start to play gigs.

If my financial situation works out, I'll definately go for the 3.
Quote by austin-person
I've actually done a good bit of research on amps. I haven't really found a straight answer on the line out to the PA question, but I was pretty sure it could. And yes I am aware that this is a modeling amp, but I'm new to the guitar scene, so the multiple styles and effects is appealing to me. I also plan on trying out other amps before I buy, but the research I've done has me leaning toward the Mustangs. Anyways, thanks for addressing the volume question.

Good to hear you've done research, that's where most people go wrong
If it's what you want go for it, although i would rather get a normal amp and then use a multi fx board to get the different sounds.
Make sure you try it out in a store before you buy it though.