So I have about $700 (Australian) to spend, and anyone that lives near a Billy Hyde would know they're doing a huge sale. I've been playing for 3 years with the same crappy starter pack Ibanez, and the same crappy 5W amp. I know the majority of you would be very quick as to say "AMP!" but really I don't play anywhere besides home.

So amp or guitar?
What do you like more? The feeling of your guitar or the sound of the amp?
Keep the thing you like more
amp
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
You don't need to spend all of the money on the amp. Since you are a home player, maybe you should buy a nice amp for about 400$-500$, and save some more money to get a guitar later? Maybe something like a Vox Valvetronix could be good for you, since it sounds quite ok and it has some built in effects that would keep you interested for a long time. I reccomend the 30w model, since it's cheap (around 200$), and it's loud enough for band practice (I know you said you play only at home, but who knows...).
Quote by ivan987
You don't need to spend all of the money on the amp. Since you are a home player, maybe you should buy a nice amp for about 400$-500$, and save some more money to get a guitar later? Maybe something like a Vox Valvetronix could be good for you, since it sounds quite ok and it has some built in effects that would keep you interested for a long time. I reccomend the 30w model, since it's cheap (around 200$), and it's loud enough for band practice (I know you said you play only at home, but who knows...).

this
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
whatever gets you closer to the sound you hear in your head. that being said, you NEED a new amp. a good amp opens up a world of new playing possibilities, and to me is just as inspiring as a great guitar. lots of people forget that the amp is an instrument too
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
Amp.
I got a second hand 100 watt Fender FM212r for $300. If you can find yourself a deal like that, you'll still be left with money to save towards a better guitar.

Why would you want a fender fm212r though?
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
Amp.
I got a second hand 100 watt Fender FM212r for $300. If you can find yourself a deal like that, you'll still be left with money to save towards a better guitar.

I got one for £100 (about $159). No word of a lie. I can't even sell it for £50...
Buy yourself a roland cube for 200 then buy a new axe for 500
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Since you play at home (like me) a 15-30 watt SS amp will do you well and leave enough money for a decent guitar.

Amps like Roland Cube, Peavey Vypyr, Vox Vt series and Fender Mustang are modelers and gives you a range of tones and FXs.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
i say get a msall tube amp and a nice, intermediate guitar