I want to add more balls to my amp. Im looking for a pedal that will give me as much gain as possible. You hear bands like korn getting this insane gain and are like "what the ****". I want the ability to get that kind of gain. I have a boss SD1 and that thing does nothing for me, i would like some suggestions.
Schecter Damien Elite Avenger FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster Fretless
Samick Dreadnaught Acoustic (Unknown Model)
Various Marshall Amplifiers
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
If you aren't getting korn with a mg100fx you aren't doing it right.
mojostompboxes.com
http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=16

http://www.wamplerpedals.com/distortions/triple-wreck.html

Just beacuse I was thinking of those two for other reasons.

but I think you may want to "consider" your amp.
Ibanez JEM 555 > Line 6 POD XT Live > Behringer MS16 Monitor Speakers

"Asked us if we were happy, we said we didn't know...
Took us by the hands and up we go..."

Italians do it better.
Step 1: Get a 6505.
Step 2: Put the gain on 4 and buy a Maxon OD808 (or any other TS, although I love my Maxon) and run it as a clean boost.
Step 3: Tune low, real low.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Buy a new amp. Mg's are shit.

And Korn dont use that much gain- their thick low down tones come from using 7 string guitars.

+3,14

Instead of an fx pedal, just get a good amp.
KoRn's distortion is the typical Mesa Triple Recto distortion, which sounds even heavier due to the down tunings they use. You won't get that from an MG.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
+3,14

Instead of an fx pedal, just get a good amp.
KoRn's distortion is the typical Mesa Triple Recto distortion, which sounds even heavier due to the down tunings they use. You won't get that from an MG.

Good advice, although he didn't say he wanted the Korn tone, he only wanted their butload of gain. And no amp has more ridiculous gain than the 6505. If he can't get enough from that then something has to be wrong.

Plus, the 6505 is WAY cheaper than the Triple/Dual Recto. So it may be a tad more accessible to him.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
Good advice, although he didn't say he wanted the Korn tone, he only wanted their butload of gain. And no amp has more ridiculous gain than the 6505. If he can't get enough from that then something has to be wrong.

Plus, the 6505 is WAY cheaper than the Triple/Dual Recto. So it may be a tad more accessible to him.

I didn't suggest any specific amp.
I just said that what he's looking for is the typical Recto distortion, and that he won't get that from an MG.

That doesn't mean that he can't achieve it in a different way.
For example, a friend of mine gets that kind of tone from a Fender Twin Reverb using a "Dr. Boogie" DIY pedal.

You're trying too hard to advertise the 6505, mate.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I didn't suggest any specific amp.
I just said that what he's looking for is the typical Recto distortion, and that he won't get that from an MG.

That doesn't mean that he can't achieve it in a different way.
For example, a friend of mine gets that kind of tone from a Fender Twin Reverb using a "Dr. Boogie" DIY pedal.

You're trying too hard to advertise the 6505, mate.

I'm not advertising anything, sorry if it came off that way.

All I am doing is throwing in my $0.02 AUD on the subject. Also, I got my 6505 a few months ago and I'm still head over heels for it, can't help it man.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Get a digitech death metal pedal.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 28, 2011,
You'd be surprised how much gain bands DON'T use...

A fair amount of the "heaviness" has to do with tuning and string gauge (and, of course having a 7th string on your guitar) more than where the gain knob is set. That being said, the MG series aren't really known for having a very good gain channel.

You may be able to find a dirt pedal to run into the MG's clean channel that will do what you want, but I've never really used distortion pedals, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help there. The BOSS distortion pedals also get pretty bad ratings here on UG, but like I said, I really havent used one personally for more then a few minutes in the store playing around.

If you have some disposable income, I'd replace the MG with something better... But this being UG, that's what everyone will say to nearly any question if you mention that you have an MG or a spider.

"Hey I picked up my guitar today, plugged it into my MG, and as soon as I hit a chord the neck snapped in half. What do I do??"

"You need a new amp.... and probably guitar. But definitely the amp"
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Buy a Mesa and a 7 string. /troll

Like people said, gain isn't used that much at all. Just the tunings and the tempo really. Korn are slow and just heavy.

Another example is Stephen Carpenter and his 8 string. Guy doesn't use much gain but its the best tone I've heard live. And he uses guitar rig with a power amp!
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
A budget would be really helpful.

Best solution would be to get a good amp.

Budget solution would be to get a nice distortion pedal. Though with that route, you're still going to be limited on how good a tone you can get by your amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by stykerwolf
even playing clean in drop z is more gain then playing through a wall of rectifiers in standard

??? wtf?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by stykerwolf
even playing clean in drop z is more gain then playing through a wall of rectifiers in standard

Opeth would like to have a word with you. Tone has a massive effect on how heavy something sounds, arguable more so than tuning. I could have sworn this band Bison played in at least C, if not lower, for months' come to find out its only drop D, they just have a really gritty heavy tone.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
If you are looking for a pedal the mxr fullbore is crazy insane in the gain dept. I have one and to me it is too much but as the others have said your amp is not the greatest in the world.
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune
Low cost solutions
Pedal: Line 6 UBER METAL. Actually quite versatile.
Amp: Bugera 626x
If you get the amp, you don't need the pedal.
While the 6505 might cost 1/2 of a dual recto, the 626x costs 1/2 the 6505, and has all the gain. I preferred to run the 6262 without a clean boos. on the lead channel....it doesn't need it. Did use one on the crunch channel to have 2 different sounds there.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
Low cost solutions
Pedal: Line 6 UBER METAL. Actually quite versatile.
Amp: Bugera 626x
If you get the amp, you don't need the pedal.
While the 6505 might cost 1/2 of a dual recto, the 626x costs 1/2 the 6505, and has all the gain. I preferred to run the 6262 without a clean boos. on the lead channel....it doesn't need it. Did use one on the crunch channel to have 2 different sounds there.

KoRn doesn't use loads of gain, that comes from their heavy down tunings.

+1 the Bugera 6262 sounds so close to the 6505+ and is a very good amp for the price. Get a good cab with it (I recommend a Mesa rectifier cab with Celesion V30's if you can afford one).

You won't need any pedals except possibly an OD pedal.
Equipment
Guitars: ESP LTD H-1001FR and BC Rich Warlock SE w/ EMGs
Amplifier: Peavey 6505+ 120W Head
Cabinet: Mesa Boogie 4x12 Rectifier Cab w/ V30's
Pedal/Effects: Maxon OD808 and ISP Decimator
Other: THD Hotplate (8 Ohm)
Quote by stykerwolf

everyone that took that seriously, please go find a sense of humor. because that made me lawl
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Im referring to the song coming undone mostly when i am talking about insane gain. If you notice since you all seem to have noticed my amp model, i also do indeed have a 7 string. However thats not what i am referring to. Im really not a big fan of korn or their tone, i just was using that as an example. I would love to replace my amp. ive wanted a mesa triple rect, mark v or a bogner uberschall but im not planning to buy a new amp for a while. What i want right now is to just give my amp some gravel. I like the triple wreak. Sounds like it will do fine. Thanks.
Schecter Damien Elite Avenger FR
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Schecter Damien Elite
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Stratocaster Fretless
Samick Dreadnaught Acoustic (Unknown Model)
Various Marshall Amplifiers
Boss SD-1
Boss CS-3
So if you didn't like their tone why did you use theirs as an example?
Maybe you should go to a local music shop and try different amps/pedals and see what works. I used to think I needed my gain on my gt-10 (5150 preamp) at like 89 but I've lowered it to 25 and still have a high gain tone but less muddy and more clarity.

Make sure you run the pedal through the clean channel or else it's gonna sound like total poops
Quote by Kyleisthename
So if you didn't like their tone why did you use theirs as an example?

I think he's looking for a sound where there is so much distortion, its practically going mushy and fuzzing out.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
You don't need a high distortion pedal. A jcm 800 might do the trick. No, but If you have too much distortion, it will be really fuzzy and you won't be to hear what notes you are playing.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 25, 2011,
a hughes and kettner warp factor will give you some nice chuggy bottom end sounds. I had one and its decent and also pretty uncommon, so has that nice value that you aren't gunna sound like everybody else. If you can get your hands on one, I'd at least give it a go
Wampler Tripple Wreck...Doooo want
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10