Worst pickups you ever tried?

For me, Dimebucker.

Edit: Your worst pickups youve tried that are not el cheapos. Its too easy to pick some 50 dollar guitar.

Lets say pickups that are $80 dollars and above.
Last edited by hoosierxhoosier at Jun 25, 2011,
The stock pickups on most lower-end Ibanez guitars. They're absolutely horrid, IMHO.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Probably the EMG H4.

That said, not all HZs are completely terrible. I rather like the H2.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Linkerman
The stock pickups on most lower-end Ibanez guitars. They're absolutely horrid, IMHO.

INF pickups are pretty good for stock pickups IMO.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
in this thread: opinions.

I think it's hard to distinguish between a crap pickup and a crap guitar that happens to have those pickups. so it's probably best to think before you post - was it really the pickups that were bad or was it the guitar? a bad guitar can make any pickups sound awful..

i really can't think of any pickups that i've hated except maybe the epiphone stock pickups - too much flabby bass output, and muddy lower mids.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^ oh yeah I almost forgot I used to own an Epi. The pickups in my G400 were also just tetrible. Probably still take them over the H4 though...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The pickups in my Stagg are the worst. If you thought Epi pickups where muddy, the Stagg ones took the wet-fartage cake. They also weren't wax potted properly and would squeal like a bitch with any sizable amount of gain.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Linkerman

+9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Quote by Blompcube
in this thread: opinions.

I think it's hard to distinguish between a crap pickup and a crap guitar that happens to have those pickups. so it's probably best to think before you post - was it really the pickups that were bad or was it the guitar? a bad guitar can make any pickups sound awful..

i really can't think of any pickups that i've hated except maybe the epiphone stock pickups - too much flabby bass output, and muddy lower mids.

I don't know Blomp, I've help friends with upgrading their low end Ibanezs with new pups. The guitars literally shine in comparison to having the stock Ibanez pickups.

Crappiest pickups, no question, hands-down, bet yer last dollar its ANY Ibanez stock pickup.

They are muddy, have bad note definition, lack clarity, sterile and boomy with a hollow tone.

You'd be hard pressed to find a more detestable and horrible pickup than an Ibanez stock pickup.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The only truly bad pickup is the one that doesn't suit your style.
Even el cheapo starterpack-Strat pickups have some merit to them occasionally.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Linkerman
I agree, while Ibanez actually has pretty decent low-end guitars compared to what you can get for similar price (Squires, Jackson JS, etc.), their pickups are horrid. Nothing that a swap can't solve.

Worst pickup I've played? The stock bridge pickup on my $99 Washburn X9.

Well, I think it might be the guitar itself, but I can guarantee that the pickup is shit as well. That guitar is evil, it can make every amp it's played through sound like fizzy fake shit. And I've played the fucking thing through various high-end tube amps and it made them all sound like shit no matter what I did (completely goes against how too many fuckheads here say "99% of tone is in your amp"). That guitar is now at my family's vacation place, and I use it with a Peavey Vypyr 15 (which it also makes sound like shit).
Other than stock pickups...

I actually really disliked the Duncan Jazz. Sounded way too thin in my PRS.
Would agree with Ibanez stocks being crappy. Reminds me of my worst investment ever, a Ibanez JS20S Silver Surfer, turned out to be a more colorful JS100 which would have cost a third or a quarter of the JS20. Pickups are awful compared to most guitars I own.
Non-brand name/stock pickups? I'd probably go with MiM Fender Strat pickups there. I couldn't get a tone I wanted from it, no matter how I tried, even for classic rock;the bridge pickup was really thin and trebly(which I guess is to be expected, but...), I don't remember how the mid pickup sounded and the neck pickup was really muddy in my opinion, not to mention the hum, the hum, THE HUM(I've played several Squier Strats, none of them hummed quite as much as this thing). The bridge+mid position didn't hum that much but I still found it thin and muddy.

As for brand-name pickups, I'm going to have to go with the EMG 85. *flameshield*I got a Schecter last week with EMG 81/85 combo, and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be fussy on the pickups regardless, but good God, that ended up being an understatement. My ML, which is equipped with a DiMarzio Super Disto/PAF Pro combo, does just about everything I want to do better than the EMGs do except for trebly classic rock tones, and considering 90% of what I play is metal I find that odd. The 81 in the bridge isn't THAT bad tonally, it just doesn't quite have the punch of the Super Disto, and it can nail Funk #49, so I can't really fault it. The 85, on the other hand, is a muddy, indistinct mess to my ears, just like the Strat neck pickup I mentioned before, and I use my neck pickup for cleans and Yngwie-style solo tones;the PAF Pro nails both to my ears, but the 85's just...muddy. Real muddy. It gives a good metalcore solo tone, but I really really REALLY am not a metalcore person...xD Oh, and the fact that they're actives doesn't seem to have much difference on how much they feedback, they feedback just as much as every other humbucker-equipped guitar I've played(not that I mind that regardless, but...), maybe a little less but the difference seems small.

...anyone wanna buy some EMGs and whatever preamp comes in a Schecter Damien Elite? xD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Last edited by Enix165 at Jun 25, 2011,
I've never really tried a guitar with bad pickups, nor have I ever bought bad pickups, I usually only pick up guitars that I know will sound good.

But if I had to pick, I'd say whatever the pickups are in a Gibson Les Paul Standard, too muddy for me.
Quote by ragingkitty
I don't know Blomp, I've help friends with upgrading their low end Ibanezs with new pups. The guitars literally shine in comparison to having the stock Ibanez pickups.

i was just saying it's sometimes possible for a bad guitar to make really good pickups sound bad, not that it's always the guitar's fault. with ibanez it's definitely the pickups by the sound of it. but some people, for whatever reason, might like the ibanez pickups, which is why i said this thread is full of opinions

sometimes i think it's a bit of both with a lot of guitars.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'm too big of a fan of stock low end Epi ones, and the Infinity set are okay. They are a little muddy, but they do work better then some other stocks. My Schecter Gryphon has some Duncan Designs in it and they are vastly brighter and do well in both clean and distortion modes. I will admit the Inf 3 and 4 are better for me when I have the distortion cranked.

My personal preference is I don't like actives, hence why I didn't buy the C-1 Elite I had been looking at. The actives just don't do well for my preferred tone, so I don't usually go to them. I've tried several sets of them, just I like passives, so actives are not a good purchase for me.
Quote by Woffelz
INF pickups are pretty good for stock pickups IMO.

I agree, the stock pups on mine aren't bad, for stocks.
Quote by Ghostmaker
I actually really disliked the Duncan Jazz. Sounded way too thin in my PRS.

Same experience here in my Parker. I did not like the JB either. Others rave about this combo, though.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jun 25, 2011,
To those slating Ibanez pickups, try the QMs. They're ****ing incredible, I have a set in my S1220 and the bridge is pretty tight for metal stuff but really nice for lead too and the neck pickup is great for cleans and smooth lead tones.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

From the name-brand stuff:

Quote by Pac_man0123
Dimebucker, SD Invaders.

+1. I also have a couple of kent armstrongs (the korean-made ones, not the handwound ones) which i'm not too fussed on either.

from stock pickups: +1 on ibanez and the MIM standard fender ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I hate the 500T and 496R pickups in my V... Considering the price of that guitar I'm really pissed. In fact a month on, I'm pretty pissed with the whole guitar as my needs have completely changed and I can't sell it.

I actually preferred the Ibanez INFs to some extent, they were muddy. But at least I can get a decent clean tone.

that wouldn't be your Gibby flying v faded would it?

How much u asking?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Ah, I've got another one:

The stock Jackson J-50BC on my '88 Charvel Model 4. It was an active pickup based off an EMG, but it was thin, lifeless, over-compressed, and sounded like shit no matter what I did. Probably the worst active pickup I've ever used, and why I don't use active pickups at all. I replaced it with a Dimarzio X2N, a very underrated and misused pickup. It sounds much better and much clearer than before.
Not all Ibanez pickups are bad. I have a 90s XH2 humbucker that I modified with 3 ceramic magnets that happens to be quite aggressive.
For me, any pickups from an 80's guitar that has the plastic covers on them, newer Jackson stock pickups, and any pickups like for example washburns low end where the baseplate is PLASTIC.
Cusp of Magic
EMG HZs for me. So horribly meh and no dynamics at all, can't wait until I get the money to get them out of my SLSMG asap
NOPE
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Not all Ibanez pickups are bad. I have a 90s XH2 humbucker that I modified with 3 ceramic magnets that happens to be quite aggressive.
For me, any pickups from an 80's guitar that has the plastic covers on them, newer Jackson stock pickups, and any pickups like for example washburns low end where the baseplate is PLASTIC.

That is the odd thing, that I don't like actives, but a set of stock Ibanez actives were some of the best that I've ever heard. I don't know the model numbers, but I liked how they sounded, better then some EMGs I have heard.
for me its a tie between a Suhr SSV+ and a Gibson 57 classic. the Suhr was voiced a little bit strangely; it had alot of upper mids and very little bass. it just didn't really appeal to me. the gibson, though not too bad, just wasn't very good. for that sort of money, I expected far, far better

*both have been installed in my epiphone LP at one time or another
The "EMG Designed" pickups on my RG2EX1 are pretty meh... super bassy, no note definition, and they're way too boomy. They don't cut at all... and for a guitar begging to be down-tuned, that's the last thing I want. The stock INF4's on my cheapy RG120 that I mess around with are better (and why the hate for Ibanez pups? I always felt that the pups in the low priced/budget Ibanez guitars were rather good compared to others. That said, they aren't great, but they aren't the worst in the world...

I'm also not a fan of the HZ EMGs either and, to be honest, I'm not really that huge of a fan of active pups. They're great for metal don't get me wrong, but I just never fell in love with any of the tones that come out of say an EMG 81 when it's run through anything other than massive distortion...
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube