Afternoon all,

I'm going to mod the electronics in my Tanglewood TSE-505 Les Paul copy. I was looking at the pick ups at Axes R Us and was wondering if anyone has any experience of them. In particular I was looking at the 'Fat Slugs' and the '4x4s', they appear to be custom to Axes R Us as I cant find them anywhere else on the net.

http://www.axesrus.com/axehumbuckers.htm

If anyone has ever used/bought these p'ups can you let me know what they're like.

Thanks,

Jack

\m/ >< \m/
I've got a goldfish like a sieve...
Yes they're reasonable quality pickups. They're pretty much what you expect for that sort of price range really. Pickup thread.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Cheers,

I was thinking of combo-ing them, ie - the Fat slug in the neck position and the 4x4 in the bridge. Would this work at all..?

Im going for a bit of a custom set up too, gonna use the Ultimate Wiring mod kit but as a killswitch or bypass on the volume, and a bypass for the tone. Not too sure what effect it'll have but it should be interesting. Building/Customising Thread...

Also could someone attempt to provide a little more detail on the sound/tone etc of these, other than just 'what you expect' since these are the first set I'm buying.

\m/ >< \m/
Last edited by Lanky24 at Jun 25, 2011,
I've used tonerider's too. Good quality, and cheap too.
Not used axesrus pickups yet, but i'm currently in the middle of a 5 string bass build with a wilkinson Jazz pickup in the neck and an axesrus MM humbucker in the bridge. Will let you know how it goes.
I've got a bit of money to throw at this project, so I might get the Fat Slugs and maybe some Rocksongs from Tonerider and try both sets out.

...this is fast becoming an alchemists workbench here... anyone know any other concoctions of electronics i can try? lol
Quote by Lanky24
I've got a bit of money to throw at this project, so I might get the Fat Slugs and maybe some Rocksongs from Tonerider and try both sets out.

...this is fast becoming an alchemists workbench here... anyone know any other concoctions of electronics i can try? lol

or you could just get one decent set of pickups instead of 2 mediocre quality sets?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
or you could just get one decent set of pickups instead of 2 mediocre quality sets?

nahhh, wheres the fun in that..?
Quote by Lanky24
nahhh, wheres the fun in that..?

Well all i'm saying is the reason people get those cheapo axesrus or tonerider pickups is because they can't afford a set of seymour duncans or dimizaros. If you've got the money, might as well spend it on something decent.
EH

Oh no, I understand that...

But theres every possibility I'll end up pulling these apart in future projects, I've decided this guitar is gonna be purely for experiments 'til i get bored of it lol.

It only cost £90 when i got it and I've spent about £30 to date on trims etc. I can't quite justify putting a set of p'ups in it that are nearly twice its original value.

Would you recommend lining the cavities with copper at all? I know I get the occasional interference from my phone but I dunno if it'd stop it.

Cheers for the input though, I had forgot about DiMarzios, I'll bear them in mind if I decide to upgrade my Pacifica.

Quote by eddiehimself
Well all i'm saying is the reason people get those cheapo axesrus or tonerider pickups is because they can't afford a set of seymour duncans or dimizaros. If you've got the money, might as well spend it on something decent.

Hey hey, hold on.

IronGear and Tonerider can easily match SD and DiMarzio. With SD and DiMarzio, you're not paying for quality, you're paying for advertising campaigns, endorsements and the profit of middle men. With IronGear and Tonerider (particularly IronGear, since Keith primarily deals through himself and cuts out the middle man), you're paying for the actual pickups. I know from experience that IronGear can actually beat SD and DiMarzio on quality, ignoring the price, and from what I've heard and the fact that they're scatterwound I suspect Tonerider would be better still.

IronGear are more than decent and if Tonerider can match them then they are too.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jun 29, 2011,
Quote by NeutralFan
Hey hey, hold on.

IronGear and Tonerider can easily match SD and DiMarzio. With SD and DiMarzio, you're not paying for quality, you're paying for advertising campaigns, endorsements and the profit of middle men. With IronGear and Tonerider (particularly IronGear, since Keith primarily deals through himself and cuts out the middle man), you're paying for the actual pickups. I know from experience that IronGear can actually beat SD and DiMarzio on quality, ignoring the price, and from what I've heard and the fact that they're scatterwound I suspect Tonerider would be better still.

IronGear are more than decent and if Tonerider can match them then they are too.

Anything can sound as good as you want it to if you're saving money
EH

Quote by eddiehimself
Anything can sound as good as you want it to if you're saving money

True, but I have in the past compared a Hot Slag to a SD JB and a DiMarzio Super Distortion and honestly preferred the Hot Slag, purely on sound.

I've heard this said before but it's true: IronGear pups aren't just good value, they're good pups, full stop.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
I don't exactly skimp on guitar stuff - I buy EMGs for active and Irongears for passive. They're great pickups in their own right, not cheap toss.