Hey, I wonder if anyone could help me out here (new here )

I'm perfectly aware of the possible consequences of playing electric guitar when your arm/finger muscles are in pain, But what about pushing it when they're just tired, when they just feel weak?

Will this possibly give me conditions like tendonitus?
Will my playing be affected in a negative way?

Thanks,
Olly
Thanks for the quick reply,
My arms feel just like my legs would after a long run, I have been practicing a lot more than usual recently which is most likely the reason why they feel tired/weak.
I'll try your advice, thanks!
Quote by AgZarp
Hey, I wonder if anyone could help me out here (new here )

I'm perfectly aware of the possible consequences of playing electric guitar when your arm/finger muscles are in pain, But what about pushing it when they're just tired, when they just feel weak?

Will this possibly give me conditions like tendonitus?
Will my playing be affected in a negative way?

Thanks,
Olly

Don't worry too much about soreness or weakness. Your tendons and arm muscles are just like any other muscle. You'll want to stretch and warm up before playing, play comfortably with minimal tension, and relax them when you're done.

What you're feeling is fatigue. It's universal to musicians, though more experience will give you more endurance for prolonged periods of activity.

When my muscles start getting tired while playing, I take a little break. Get up, walk around some, read a book or something for a few minutes, that sort of thing. Then stretch some, warm up for a sec when you come back to guitar, and go right back to it. You can get RSI, or repetitive stress injury, for playing while fatigued, which is obviously a bad thing. To avoid that, learn to practice in bite-sized sessions. As you get more experienced playing, your idea of "bite-sized" will increase from, say, ten minutes to three hours or more.

So, to answer your question briefly, no it won't kill you to play to the point of fatigue. Just recognize what that is, take a little break, and let your muscles relax. It happens to all of us.
Quote by Geldin
Don't worry too much about soreness or weakness. Your tendons and arm muscles are just like any other muscle. You'll want to stretch and warm up before playing, play comfortably with minimal tension, and relax them when you're done.

What you're feeling is fatigue. It's universal to musicians, though more experience will give you more endurance for prolonged periods of activity.

When my muscles start getting tired while playing, I take a little break. Get up, walk around some, read a book or something for a few minutes, that sort of thing. Then stretch some, warm up for a sec when you come back to guitar

Yeah, I guess I'm just getting a bit ahead of myself, I need to take a lil break every now and then, heh
Thanks for the detailed advice, I'm just going to take it in bursts and stay on the track until I can play all night long without hindrance >

Cheers,
Olly.
Apart from injury, and assuming that you usually play with good technique, another risk you take when playing fatigued is that you'll start unconsciously favouring the fatigued muscles by using other ones instead... and suddenly you're practising bad technique. Probably not what you wanted to be doing!
^
Definitely that. Some people say that the only meaningful practice comes when you're fatigued. They're wrong. The worst practice you'll get in is in the first couple of minutes before you've warmed up and the last couple of minutes before you realize that you're dead tired. Everything in between is up to the specifics of what and how you're practicing, but those first and last few minutes are the worst practice you'll ever get.