Hi guys. On days I've decided to build for myself a Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face pedal, thanks to existing schematic on the net. Well, first of all, before going to the market and buying details and start to make it in real I've decided to simulate it's work in the Electronics Workbench 5.12.
When I've build it, it seems not to working (or working not correctly), despite I don't know how the real frequency response function of the fuzz pedal looks, so I can't make any helpful decisions. Can you help me guys?
The frequency response function, that I'd get (I gave to it a clean 440Hz sinusoidal wave):

This is the original layout, which I used as original:
http://schematicwiring.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/jimmy-hendrix-fuzz-face-guitar-effect-schematic-diagram.PNG

And here's my schematix, with the corrected polarity of the battery element:

EWB File: http://www.usaupload.net/d/a8x1nsh1fec

Will be a lot of thanks, if some of you would answer me. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by PavelD at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by piop
Just keep googling, I googled "Fuzz face frequency response" and the first result I got was this: - http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm which has got a ton of information on.

There's also nothing like experimentation. Work it out for yourself and you could come up with something even better.

Yeah. the hendrix fuzzes were god-awful. unless you hand tweak the circuit you wont have anything all that good on your hands..
I have also been considering building this pedal, Here is some information I have found out about it, from memory though so I don't know how accurate it is:

common oppinion is the JH-1 sounds better than the JH-2, and the JH-1 is the one I was interested in making so is the one I researched.

Germanium transistors sound better in fuzz pedals than silicon ones. I think it's because they clip less harshly and sound less "tinny" but i could be wrong. however germanium transistors also have several disadvantages. they are more likely to get fried when you are soldering them, and they can also "overheat" halfway through a gig and sound terrible. Silicon fuzz faces have been around since the 70's, some people prefer silicon ones but i think they are in the minority.

The JH-1 uses silicon transistors, but unlike a normal silicon fuzz the circuit is made with built-in "parasitic capacitance" which i do not understand, but is a characteristic of germanium fuzz faces that makes them sound better.

I have schematics if you can't find them on the internet, but it won't be easy for me to get hold of them.
the "built-in parasitic capacitance" lets you simulate Ge devices. Ge devices have a higher junction capacitance than Si, among many other disadvantages (honestly silicon is superior to germanium in about every way, except for their sound in certain applications [in most peoples' opinion])

The diagrams are in the link i posted earlier. that post also pretty much explains everything about the FF circuit.