Page 1 of 5
I was unaware of such a movement until yesterday when I was directed to the Wikipedia page on it. In short, the theory is that Biohazard, Machine Head and Pantera created some of the stylistic similarities that unite popular metal acts today. The bands themselves, however, tend to sound very different (see the list at the bottom of the Wikipedia page for reference.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_of_American_Heavy_Metal

For starters, does this movement even exist? Some people say that because the bands sound different, they lack the cohesion that was evident in New Wave of British Heavy Metal years back and can't be called a movement. Others say it's an umbrella term, and it's completely justifiable to place these bands in a category because metal has returned to mainstream popularity in the last decade and a half in America, so this can be called a movement.

Second, will this be something we will look back on with the fondness that people do now on the New Wave of British Heavy Metal? There seemed to be a lot of debate on the Discussion section of the Wikipedia page, so I wanted to get a second opinion on it.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
Someone told me Bach sounded like crap.

Quote by Minkaro
What a dick, right? Skid Row are awesome
I hate old metal, I hate British metal.

A lot of the bands today will be remembered (ie: Lamb of God) because they're more technically sound then older metal and British metal. Guitarists like Iommi and Jimmy Page were the best for their day. Granted "core" guitarists are lazy as hell usually, but metal guitarists are just better now. Some metal singers can actually SING now too, where as voices of the oldies are garbage. Ozzy has no voice, period. Screaming is an acquired taste, but so many things are. I was never able to get into Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Led Zepplin or any of that stuff. I assume that's an acquired taste too, because most people I know(and they dont like the same music as me) don't like those bands either.
90% of those bands were ****ing awful.
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
Quote by Colgate Total
The Blackening alone was better than any NWOBHM.

Quote by xSacrilegex

Quote by Colgate Total

Angel Witch, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Diamond Head would like a word with you
Quote by smokeysteve22
I hope not

DING DING DING

We have a winner for the correct answer.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
The Blackening is worse than most metal, actually.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by Colgate Total

Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
um....poser metalcore??? dats wat i thought when i read about a7x and killswitch engage...
MAYBE I DO WISH THEY WOULD MAKE A 8 STRING DAISY ROCK GUITAR!!! OK SO!!

Quote by xSacrilegex

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
motherfucker i'd fuck that nigga's bitch ass up
Last edited by dabucket at Jun 25, 2011,
Metal has too many sub-genres as it is. Why does ever band feel the need to create their own genre?
Now I'm
Quote by 727Helena
Metal has too many sub-genres as it is. Why does ever band feel the need to create their own genre?

They need something to make themselves sound unique. olololololol
NWOAHM is all the gay-as-**** "core" subgenres. They sound awful as hell and are a terrible corruption of metal. And the guy who was sweeping NWOBHM into dusty pots is incredibly illusional. I'm not even going to bother rebutting you
chugchugchug diddlydoodly
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Looking at all those bands you can't call NWOAHM a genre because they're too diverse, it's more of a movement I guess.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by SlipknotRule93
Looking at all those bands you can't call NWOAHM a genre because they're too diverse, it's more of a movement I guess.

A bowel movement maybe
and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
I suppose chronologically, such a description makes sense. The NWOBHM bands were more stylistically similar, but the resurgence of metal in the American mainstream is similar to the same resurgence of metal in Britain during the later 70s and 80s. Keep in mind also that although NWOBHM bands were more similar stylistically, there were bands that branched out into subgenres of metal. The NWOAHM has seen similar origins (lots of metalcore and numetal bands appearing at the same time sharing a lot of stylistic elements) and similar branching out.
Quote by xSacrilegex

A lot of the bands today will be remembered (ie: Lamb of God) because they're more technically sound then older metal and British metal. Guitarists like Iommi and Jimmy Page were the best for their day. Granted "core" guitarists are lazy as hell usually, but metal guitarists are just better now. Some metal singers can actually SING now too, where as voices of the oldies are garbage. Ozzy has no voice, period. Screaming is an acquired taste, but so many things are. I was never able to get into Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Led Zepplin or any of that stuff. I assume that's an acquired taste too, because most people I know(and they dont like the same music as me) don't like those bands either.

I can understand it not being your thing, but British metal is pretty much where it all took off from, however while I will admit Ozzy cannot sing, Black Sabbath had a perfect storm, it only worked because it was those four people, Ozzys voice went perfectly with the riffs Iommi was coming up with and the lyrics Butler wrote, which is why generally when Dio or any of the other vocalists sing Ozzy era songs is just sounds a bit off, it was because of Iommi playing alongside Ozzy that early Sabbath sounds so heavy and dark, to me Ozzy era sabbath will always sound heavier than most of the ultra distortion tech death of today.

To say the voices of the oldies is garbage is in itself garbage though, it was only Ozzy that couldn't sing, unless you're gonna go out and say Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Dio, Robert Plant,(although I wouldn't count Zepplin as metal, I'd say Zepplin and Sabbath created two paths to Hard/Classic Rock and Heavy Metal respectively) etc etc couldn't sing.

Plus it's not all about being technical, those oldies will always be remembered because of the music they put out, and they could all still play amazingly, granted they're not playing at warp speed with ultra technical riffs and the gain turned up to max like today, but the music is still as great today as it was then, Iommi's playing on the first 8 Sabbath Records is sublime and I'd be hard pushed to find a song on there that I didn't like in some way or another.

Guitarists are generally more technically proficient these days, but that, however there is a massive difference between being capable of playing and being able to use that playing to sound good. That's not to say I'm writing off all modern metal as "BACK IN MY DAY!", I'm just saying. It's just how the genre's evolved, personally I don't like much modern metal, most of it lacks a massive amount of melody. I dunno it just seems all about tuning your guitar down as low as it'll go then trying to come up with the most ridiculously technical riff possible. Granted kudos for their playing ability, but it just doesn't SOUND great to me, it just seems to lack soul, if you know what I mean? So many bands these days sound so similar I can barely even tell if one band is different from another.
Last edited by elvor0 at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by 727Helena

I didn't realise "all the NWOAHM bands" were a single band. I guess I was mistaken.

OT: I always thought of the NWOAHM as less of a genre and more of a way of talking about new American metal bands in general. They are definitely less close together than the NWOBHM bands, and they all fit into their own genres (Machine Head and Lamb Of God are groove metal, Killswitch Engage and Unearth are metalcore, etc).
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
its called UFC-Core

Ha, I like this.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by OOgly bOObly
A bowel movement maybe

I noticed your avatar was Varg so I let you off. Half of those bands are awful though (Slipknot not included )
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by Colgate Total

Holy shit.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
i think the point of classifying it as a movement has to do with making those bands easier to just avoid all together. it's like, all the bands you shouldn't listen to under one umbrella.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Metalcore =/= NWOAHM. Metalcore = a load of pansies trying to be metal.

The NWOAHM is made up of bands such as Machine Head, Lamb of God, Pantera, Mastodon and so on.

I don't know why As I Lay Dying and A7X are listed, but I suppose they represent the New Wave of American Metalcore
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by KirkMetallica
Metalcore =/= NWOAHM. Metalcore = a load of pansies trying to be metal.

The NWOAHM is made up of bands such as Machine Head, Lamb of God, Pantera, Mastodon and so on.

I don't know why As I Lay Dying and A7X are listed, but I suppose they represent the New Wave of American Metalcore

You don't know what metalcore is, do you?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by xSacrilegex
Some metal singers can actually SING now too, where as voices of the oldies are garbage.

Garbage voices like Dio and Bruce Dickinson you mean? Stop talking shite.
Quote by asator
You don't know what metalcore is, do you?

Not really, I couldn't be bothered my time researching it. I call it metalcore if it sounds like BFMV
Bertolt Bretcht

Last edited by KirkMetallica at Jun 25, 2011,
Quote by BenRaah
Garbage voices like Dio and Bruce Dickinson you mean? Stop talking shite.

maybe he thinks good singing means sounding like a whiny little girl?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
racists
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by theogonia777
maybe he thinks good singing means sounding like a whiny little girl?

Yeah, 90% of people think that singing involves whining.
Bertolt Bretcht

i read the thread title as "new wave or american heavy metal?" - to which i was going to reply with a link to a nick lowe song and say something very witty like "duhhh". but there you go.
Quote by KirkMetallica
NWOAHM is made up of bands such as Machine Head, Lamb of God, Pantera, Mastodon and so on.

Machine Head have been going since the early 90's, Pantera since the 80's, Lamb Of God since mid 90s and Mastodon aren't exactly a new band. But either way, all of those bands are shite, along with the rest of the so called "Groove Metal" crap.
I don't think their sources are actually correct, as Machine Head was originally Nu Metal. There's evidence of this in their latest album on a few songs.
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
chugchugchug diddlydoodly

Is it weird that I read that in Ned Flander's voice?
Page 1 of 5