I'm about to buy a Noise Gate to use with my H&K Switchblade but not sure where to locate it. At the moment I run guitar - Wah - Tuner - MXR Compressor - Amp. The other effects I use are built into the amp. I'm guessing the Noise Gate shouldn't be first but would it be last thing before the amp or should I put it in the loop?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
In front to kill pedal noise or noisy pups, in the loop for amp noise.
I run 2 isp decimators 1 in the loop and 1 out front.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Guitar-FX-Noise Gate-Amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
And there was me thinking that I'd only need one!!

As I'm using it mainly for the high gain 'Lead' and 'Ultra' channels I suppose it's going in the loop then.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
yeah, it depends on what noise your trying to get rid of....... as stated by slipknot_420, if your trying to rid the amp hiss then chuck it in the effects loop. if it's guitar noise/pedal noise your trying to get shot of, then put it last thing before the amp input. :-)

guitar - Wah - Tuner - MXR Compressor - NOISE GATE - Amp

for the record, i also use 2, a boss ns2 in my effects loop and a rocktron hush up front.

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by syzee at Jun 25, 2011,
I use 2 as well. A Rocktron hush (rack unit) in the loop, and an ISP Decimator up front BEFORE any effects. As such:
guitar>tuner>ISP>boost>amp>loop send>HUSH>delay>loop return.

When running 2 gates, the one in the loop will take care of any noise from the amp and pedals, the gate in front of your amp is mainly for stopping guitar noise and feedback. That way the gate in the loop can be turned WAY down...JUST enough to shut up the pedals and amp when not getting a guitar signal. Without the gate in front, the one in the loop will have to shut up the amp, effects, AND any guitar noise. You would have to turn it up much higher to cut all those noises...that will kill your sustain.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune