I've got a Marshall AVT100 combo amp at the moment and i'm looking to start saving up for a valve half stack. I love the Peavey 5150/6505 sound but i can't afford to save £1000 for the head, let alone a cab.

Can anyone recommend me a good valve head for around £300 - £400. I'm willing to go used and i'll need to look at cabs too. I love the Marshall cabs, especially the JCM800 model.

Also what are Bugera like? I like the sound of the 6262 but i'm worried about quality as Behringer arn't know for their high standard of quality.
Does it have to be a stack? How negotiable is the budget and what sort of tones do you want?
Ideally as the venues my band will be playing probably won't have the facilities to mic the amps up. Budget isn't really negotiable as my car is costing me a fortune as it is >.<.

As for Tones, something good for Metal. Like i said, i love the 5150/6505 sound.
I think the 6262's are great amps, so what if it's Bugera, if you take care of it and maintain it properly, you wont have many problems, just like with any other amp.

The 6262's tone is great, exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBFqo_kYcQo&feature=related
Quote by CobenBlack
I'm selling a marshall jcm 800 combo. 350 pounds, but it needs new valves in the lead channel. I put it in the gear ads section

I haven't got any money at the moment. I'm looking at what to save up for.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I think the 6262's are great amps, so what if it's Bugera, if you take care of it and maintain it properly, you wont have many problems, just like with any other amp.

The 6262's tone is great, exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBFqo_kYcQo&feature=related

I'm pretty careful with my stuff so taking care of it shouldn't be a problem.

I've heard a few of these samples on youtube, i think they sound pretty good for the price.
Quote by Afroboy267
I'm pretty careful with my stuff so taking care of it shouldn't be a problem.

I've heard a few of these samples on youtube, i think they sound pretty good for the price.

That's good, but you may end up with the same problems that I'm starting to have with my Valveking. I've had my amp for for years and I gig heavily with it, and the input jacks are starting to wear out and cause problems, so after 4 years of heavy use you might end up replacing those, you'll go through a few tubes in 4 years, and you'll prolly end up replacing the speakers since the stock ones are crap.

The biggest problems I've heard from people with these amps is just the original tubes burning out quick, which is not a big deal, my Valveking and alot of others were the same way.
Quote by ethan_hanus
That's good, but you may end up with the same problems that I'm starting to have with my Valveking. I've had my amp for for years and I gig heavily with it, and the input jacks are starting to wear out and cause problems, so after 4 years of heavy use you might end up replacing those, you'll go through a few tubes in 4 years, and you'll prolly end up replacing the speakers since the stock ones are crap.

The biggest problems I've heard from people with these amps is just the original tubes burning out quick, which is not a big deal, my Valveking and alot of others were the same way.

Aah right. I'm sure it's nothing beyond my reach. Running a car and funding a music hobbie is tough when you're studying a degree and working part time.

Also i'd forgotten about the Valveking line. I heard they're ment to be pretty good for the money. Might look into them too.
You know you dont NEED a halfstack just because the gigs are un-miced, right? Combos get just as loud. Might be more beneficial for you money wise to look into a combo
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
You know you dont NEED a halfstack just because the gigs are un-miced, right? Combos get just as loud. Might be more beneficial for you money wise to look into a combo

LOL @ Your Sig. I completely forgot about that, haha.

And i dunno. I played a gig at a local pub once and my AVT100 was on 10/10 volume but couldn't be heard over the drums :/. Whats to say other combos are louder? Will 150 watt ones make that much of a difference?
Quote by Afroboy267
LOL @ Your Sig.

+1, every time i see his sig i burst out laughing. one of the best ones I've seen.

regarding the amp... what's your overall budget? stacks are awesome if you can afford a good one, but i'd rather have good combo than a mediocre stack, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^+1

Quote by Afroboy267
LOL @ Your Sig. I completely forgot about that, haha.

And i dunno. I played a gig at a local pub once and my AVT100 was on 10/10 volume but couldn't be heard over the drums :/. Whats to say other combos are louder? Will 150 watt ones make that much of a difference?

Wattage has little to do with volume - it's just one factor among many, and not even the most important one. It's more about speaker-efficiency, frequency-response and the amp's position in the room.
Not to sound like a douche, but I've got a 50w sitting here that'd overpower an AVT100 going full tilt - and I probably wouldn't have to turn the volume up more than 3 or 4 out of 10 for that.

Bigger cabs mean more low-end without getting muddy/woofy and better sound-dispersion, however, they do not mean more volume in the (high) mids department, which is what's crucial for being audible as a guitarist in a band-mix.

If you want a head and cab - a 2x12", particularly a vertical one, is a cost effective solution that sticks out in a mix (provided the rest of the equipment is up to snuff and you know what you're doing, yadda yadda yadda).

If you have trouble hearing your AVT at gigs, try putting it on an amp-stand or chair or tilting it back. Works wonders.

If you like the 6505-tone, a Bugera 6260, 6262 or the Peavey 6505+ 112-combo is an affordable way to get into the ballpark. They're not exactly the same as a 6505 head with a good, closed 4x12" cab tonally (partly because cab construction matters a lot, partly because the speakers in the amps mentioned are mediocre at best), but they're as close as it gets on a budget.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 25, 2011,
Peavey 6505/5150 combo used or a new 6505+ 112 combo.

They will definately be louder. They are tube amps, which are generally louder than your SS AVT100. Also, not being heard might not only be the volume. Maybe you have your amp dialed in badly (no mids, too much bass etc.).

Most 30+W tube amps are enough for gigging.
i've got the peavey 6505+ 112 combo which is 40w and easily loud enough to gig with, in fact i played last night in a pub with the post volume on 3.5, whilst last week played an outdoor festival with the post vol on 4.5.
brand new is £450 and is a killer amp! has 2 output jacks on the back so it can be plugged into an external cab should you need to.
win/win as far as i can see..... it's the tone you want, it's the price you want and it's easily loud enough for what you want! :-)

oh, and btw, as you can see in my sig, i also have the avt150, which i used to have to crank quite a bit to be heard at gig volumes ..... and i've not used it since i got my 6505 combo!

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by syzee at Jun 25, 2011,
Theres a 5150 head on ebay now for 500.
You dont need to pay 1000 to get a new one.. infact it'd be pretty stupid to with mass produced american amps..
Just go used..
If your on a budget the Bugera line is a really good tone for $$. I have had absolutely no problems with mine and its 1.5 yrs old. I have the 333 and it sounds good and has a nice foot swutchable FX loop with send and return level control. I believe the 6260/6262 has the same fx loop. It is pretty close to a 5150 in sound look at Dingle and Mtuck5150's videos on you tube they show what these heads are capable of with excelent sound quality.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Afroboy267
I haven't got any money at the moment. I'm looking at what to save up for.

I'm probably holding onto it for a little while. If you do find the money and decide you want it give me a shout, it's louder than any drummer I've ever heard of. Excellent tone too.

Good luck in your quest otherwise. I tried a valveking the other week which was used and only 200 pounds in Liverpool. That was cool.
Oh right. I'll look into a 6505 Combo. I didn't know that about Volume @ ^TheQuailman, i guess you learn a new thing every day .
Quote by CobenBlack
I'm probably holding onto it for a little while. If you do find the money and decide you want it give me a shout, it's louder than any drummer I've ever heard of. Excellent tone too.

Good luck in your quest otherwise. I tried a valveking the other week which was used and only 200 pounds in Liverpool. That was cool.

I scored my peavey ultra plus for 200 quid
So much amp
So little money.
Owns valve kings and i prefer it over a lot of amps that cost like 5x as much ahaha
they are rare here but when they turn up they're cheap as hell because nobody knows what they are