Hopefully that title made sense. I mean when doing scale run ups and downs on the higher frets, is considered bad technique to not use your pinky past the 20th fret? It just seems more natural (and easier) to use my ring finger instead.
I think once you get up that far on the neck, it's important to do whatever feels comfortable. It's not always easy to hit those notes anyway, and then to try and use your pinky makes it even harder. Do whatever feels comfortable up there, but make sure you use proper technique on the lower frets.
I think it´s just preference. I do as you do but i want to be able to use my pinky up there since it can make upcomeing licks easier, so i practice playing stuff with my pinky and the 20th and above frets. Hope that helps!
I use my pinky up to 24, it's just good to get used to using it as if it was any other finger
Quote by Zeletros
I use my pinky up to 24, it's just good to get used to using it as if it was any other finger

I think a lot of the time it depends on the guitar. Some guitars are a little more comfortable than others. If it's convenient and easy to hit those higher frets with your pinky, then by all means do it.
i don't use my pinky at all :/ yet i still have no trouble with anything
guess it just depends on you :L
Quote by KG6_Steven
I think a lot of the time it depends on the guitar. Some guitars are a little more comfortable than others. If it's convenient and easy to hit those higher frets with your pinky, then by all means do it.

Actually it isn't... but I do it just to develop it... you know

Hard now, easy later..
I use my pinky up to 23, and not 24 because I can't comfortably do it unless I contort my hand weird.

But I always use my pinky. Always.

Even though my vibrato sounds like Marty Friedman, I just can't do it with the pinky on the 24th fret due to the guitar.
Quote by Zeletros
Actually it isn't... but I do it just to develop it... you know

Hard now, easy later..

Actually, it does depend on the guitar and hand size and whatnot. Some people can't use their pinky up there because it's very uncomfortable. It twists their hands the wrong way.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?