I own a really cheap budget brand (gear4music) bass, and its really hard to play compared to my friends one. iv lowered the bridge as far as possible, but the actions still about five milimetres. i think the problem is that the necks bent, because if i hold down the first fret and twelfth fret, the strings still floating about two mill above the fifth fret. is the neck bent? is this a problem? is fixing it cheaper than buying a new bass? if i was going to buy a new one, itd be around £250-300. can a high action affect my playing much? i need answers! plz?
Sounds like a bent neck to me and that's fixed by a simple truss rod adjustment.
You can find tutorials online to do it yourself, or if you'd rather you can take it into a shop but I have no idea how much it would cost.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Sounds like a bent neck to me and that's fixed by a simple truss rod adjustment.
You can find tutorials online to do it yourself, or if you'd rather you can take it into a shop but I have no idea how much it would cost.

80 bucks in a shop for something that takes 3 minutes. i had a similar problem and did it myself.
If you don't know what you're doing and it's your first time doing any sort of truss rod adjustment it's all too easy to mess things up. I screwed up my first bass by going to town on the truss rod.

Find someone who knows what their doing to show you how to adjust it if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, or get a complete set up at a shop if you can spare the money. It is advised that you learn to fix it yourself though.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding