Ok, here's the deal...

I've been using Reaper for years, and I've just about had it with that program. While it has some cool plugins and I've gotten really used to using it, it has a lot of bugs that I've never had using other DAWs on this computer.

Right now, I have Studio One Artist on this computer (the one you can't use VSTs on), and I absolutely LOVE the plugins it comes with. I've been able to get better results on vocals and acoustic guitar on S1 in about 5 minutes than I could on Reaper tweaking Waves plugins for hours, which is pretty sad. My only concern is, I know a lot of people say S1 is still developing and isn't really a do-it-all DAW right now. That, and I can't figure out how to navigate through half of the stuff on it

Before I used Reaper, I was using Cubase SX3, which I really liked, though there's some features on Reaper that made editing a bit easier for me. It seems like Cubase 6 is significantly better, but I hear it has a lot of issues right now and we all know how great Steinberg is about fixing user complaints... My only big complaint with SX3 is that the plugins seemed to be pretty meh, and I'm concerned that they haven't updated them much in C6

I've used Sonar before and found it weird to navigate through, but I hear the plugins are awesome on it (I never really played around with them, I was more concerned with trying to figure out how to actually work the damn thing), and the built-in "autotune" is really good. I heard X1 is more easy to navigate through, though?

ProTools, I've never really been a huge fan of, but I must say, I think this is the one I'm leaning more towards. My only concern, again, is the plugins (how good the built in ones are - Do you get the SansAmp plugins free with PT9? Does it have an "Autotune?") and the fact that I'll have to buy a VST wrapped to use some of my other plugins. Is PT9 stable enough on a PC running Win XP?

Really what I'm looking for, is something that won't be TOO much of a chore to learn coming from Reaper. Obviously, if it's worth it, I'm definitely willing to put the time into it. I need something that's stable on Windows XP SP3 with an AMD processor, and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 running ADAT to a Behringer ADA8000. I need something that is also easy to edit MIDI in, and isn't a huge resource hog. However, above all else, I want something that has very usable plugins, while I have my own I'll be using for some things (mainly POD Farm and some Waves plugins), after experiencing the plugins in Studio One, I'd really like some high quality plugins built in. The price of any of these DAWs is not an issue.

I guess if I have to, I can continuing bouncing tracks out of the main DAW to S1 and applying plugins there, but that makes mixing a bit more difficult and tedious, since I can't hear the sound directly in the project with the rest of the music, and I have to wait for things to render to .wav files every time I bounce the tracks.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 25, 2011,
I use PT for everything short of composing. I don't use any of the Digi plugins.

Well that's a lie. I don't use any of the Digi plugins to make something sound "better".
Well, PT9 is out since you need Win 7 to even install it (Yeah, cockblocked my OS from installing it)

I'd stick with Reaper

Quote by climhazzard
I use PT for everything short of composing. I don't use any of the Digi plugins.

Well that's a lie. I don't use any of the Digi plugins to make something sound "better".

You can do a lot with the Digi plugins if you know how to use em
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I dont recommend Cubase. I can't even get Cubase le4 to run on my windows 7 laptop. I've tried EVERYTHING.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by lockwolf
Well, PT9 is out since you need Win 7 to even install it (Yeah, cockblocked my OS from installing it)

I'd stick with Reaper

Interesting.

Well, I'm not above updating to Windows 7 on my computer if PT9 is going to be worth it (I would only have to pay $30 for the "upgrade" since I can get it cheap as a student), but the reason I'm running XP on my recording systems is because I was having issues with audio dropouts on my interface (on my Focusrite and a Presonus Firepod before it), which I have yet to experience since going back to XP. Granted, I haven't checked to see if Focusrite has updated the drivers/firmware for the Pro 40 in a while, since I haven't needed to. They've probably released something newer since then.

Quote by kutless999
I dont recommend Cubase. I can't even get Cubase le4 to run on my windows 7 laptop. I've tried EVERYTHING.

That's probably because you're running Windows 7... LE4 was not certified for Win7 as far as I know. Though Cubase 6 only lists Win7 as being supported, apparently it works just fine on XP, so this shouldn't be an issue.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 25, 2011,
I've been using Cubase for ten years or so.... since version 3.6 (which was before Cubase VST5, SX, etc.) I'm currently using C5 and love it. I've had very few issues, and when I have had them, I have found the Steinberg forums to usually be very helpful.

The plugins were entirely re-vamped fairly recently. I think that was in version 4. (unless it was SX3, in which case, you are complaining about the re-vamped ones.... )

At this point, I have invested so much money in Cubase, and have spent so much time getting so familiar with the Cubase workflow that I can't imagine switching.

Having used protools with a friend of mine on his project, I never once found myself thinking, "Gee, I wish I had protools so I could do that."

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I've been using Cubase for ten years or so.... since version 3.6 (which was before Cubase VST5, SX, etc.) I'm currently using C5 and love it. I've had very few issues, and when I have had them, I have found the Steinberg forums to usually be very helpful.

The plugins were entirely re-vamped fairly recently. I think that was in version 4. (unless it was SX3, in which case, you are complaining about the re-vamped ones.... )

At this point, I have invested so much money in Cubase, and have spent so much time getting so familiar with the Cubase workflow that I can't imagine switching.

Having used protools with a friend of mine on his project, I never once found myself thinking, "Gee, I wish I had protools so I could do that."

CT

Do you think you could help me with my Cubase le4 problem?
Do you guys know of any free guitar recording software that I could record my rp355 with?
Quote by kutless999
Do you guys know of any free guitar recording software that I could record my rp355 with?

Reaper.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by kutless999
Do you think you could help me with my Cubase le4 problem?

Maybe. Can't get it to run how? As in, splash screen comes on and freezes before it fully opens, or what?

Also, I would highly recommend the Steinberg forum for Cubase issues. You'll actually get reps from Steinberg helping you out, along with other knowledgeable users.

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=25

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.