Sup pit

Iv recently been getting into a lot of For Today and August Burns Red, and because of this everyone seems to think iv become some born again christian?!?

Personally im an agnostic for my own reasons but do people really think that your religion (if any) is defined by the music you listen to??

I dont want this to turn into some religious flame war but it really buggs me how many people have commented on it and how shocked they are that i just happen to like the music :/
The other end of the spectrum is just as stupid. "Listening to bands that have fairly apparent devil worship and being branded a devil worshipper"
It's ****ing stupid when someone is labelled "christian rock" or "christian alternative" or "christian _____"
No. You're a rock band, or an alternative band.
Fine, if they get that, then I get to be an atheist heavy metal band.
Or in your case, an agnostic _____ band.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
There's no way in fuck I could listen to it

+1, it's usually soft, watered-down rock music anyway like Matchbox 20 with even less testosterone.

Having said that, I do really enjoy Soulsavers, Nick Cave and other music that has religious themes etc without actually being religious.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
I think the "Christian _____" label is fitting when the majority of the band's lyrics are actually about christianity. But still, you're religion isn't determined by what music you listen to.
Nope. I listen to Slayer and heavy metal in general and I'm a Catholic. I even play in the church choir. And I almost always wear band shirts to church. So no, music does not define what you believe in, and what you believe in does not define what music you listen to
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0
I love listening to this. I'm religious, but not extremely religious. I don't know how to explain it. I don't go to church every Sunday but I'm still a Catholic.
I also listen to rock, metal, country, and blues. So Gregorian chants aren't the only songs I listen to.
FORZA CATANIA
Most modern christian rock is heavily U2 influenced. I noticed a lot of bands use lost of delay and emotional chord progs. Hillsong is like U2 but just more danceable.
One of my favourite singers is Johnny Cash, who was obviously quite the Christian man. I hate this whole religion hooplah. People who instantly dismiss religion are just as annoying as the overly religious people.
Quote by unyinz
I think the "Christian _____" label is fitting when the majority of the band's lyrics are actually about christianity. But still, you're religion isn't determined by what music you listen to.

No they are a "____ band" with christianity themed lyrics.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
My view is that most of it sucks. If your meaning like christian rock. Gospel is cool just becuase of the soul. but modern stuff sucks. dont bother arguing with me cause I shall not be returning to this thread, lol
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Used to be Catholic but I am now an atheist. As stupid as it sounds, music helped me realize how stupid religion is and how childish the beliefs are. I could go on, but that would surely anger everybody, and it would start going into a religion discussion with no music relative to it. That being said, I do not worship the devil.
FLYERS GONNA FLY
Philadelphia Flyers: 47-26-9
Music with religious influence/members is fine. Maybe not my taste, but fine.

Stuff like Christian rock, is just ****ing boring
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
I've been to a couple shows where the band has stopped and done a, "We'd like to take a moment to spread the word of the message of our lord and savior..." and that bothers me. Believe what you want, write whatever kind of lyrics you want christian or not, but when it comes to playing a show I don't want to have to hear bands ramble on about how Jesus is the way. I paid to hear live music, I didn't pay to come and hear someone preach.

That being said, I'm surprised nobody's made a Creed joke yet.
not what i was expecting. i expected this to be a discussion on actually church music, like when you go to church and the guy wails on the organ and the choir sings and that kind of junk. in which case, i have to say some church hymns are really cool. you know, if you get past the lyrics.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by cisco444
Most modern christian rock is heavily U2 influenced. I noticed a lot of bands use lost of delay and emotional chord progs. Hillsong is like U2 but just more danceable.

And this type of Christian band is the most annoying. Not for the sound itself, but the predictability and formulaic nature of it. They all sound the exact same, and there's about three ways you can write a song in that style apparently, since you can typically guess what will happen next with a decent accuracy.

This is not to say that Christian music is bad, there are great Christian bands. It's those bands who take the "music" part of it more than the "Christian" part. The type of band described above seem to half-ass the music and use "It's about Jesus!" as an excuse.

As for the label itself, it's quite lame. It's crazy how much flak my band has received from people we know for being secular. Two of our drummers have actually left because of this, and the bassist's mom complains to him. One of those drummers constantly tries to get me to either make the band Christian or leave it, and even told me I should kick the singer out because he's atheist.
Just to clear things up when i say 'religious music' i dont mean like church hymns or little bands that play 'rock' at the front of a church, i mean bands whos lyrics could easily be linked to religion and / or preach at gigs

Personally id love to see these bands live but iv seen videos where they just stop and preach for a bit and that would make me really uncomfortable especially if there were other devout christians (or any other religion) that were going with it

i suppose its not a big deal but i was just shocked at the ammount of people that made a big deal haha
Quote by theogonia777
cause religion is as fresh and exciting as an e minor pentatonic solo?

I like your thinking good sir.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by andyscoot
One of my favourite singers is Johnny Cash, who was obviously quite the Christian man. I hate this whole religion hooplah. People who instantly dismiss religion are just as annoying as the overly religious people.

Of course, you have to differentiate between religious music as in music by religious people and music that preaches at you
Quote by theogonia777
cause religion is as fresh and exciting as an e minor pentatonic solo?

just about as much a sex
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by mr7string
Just to clear things up when i say 'religious music' i dont mean like church hymns or little bands that play 'rock' at the front of a church, i mean bands whos lyrics could easily be linked to religion and / or preach at gigs

i think everyone realizes that. i was just saying that i was expecting something different.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Well i love for today and i couldn't careless about the religious jargon they 'promote' (wrong word maybe)

90% of 'christian' bands i like, are ones i listen to on a regular basis

Just enjoy the music regardless of what religion or what people consider you as.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Jun 25, 2011,