I've been playing guitar for about 4 years. I'm really getting into the music community now, since I'm about to start college and there are other musicians who are serious about playing. I've been a headphone player for a while, and now that I'm playing with other people, I'd like to get some suggestions on how to get more creative with my improv soloing, as most of it sounds the same no matter where I play it. It all kind of sounds bluesy. So if it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to hear some tips on breaking the barriers of this box I seem to be stuck in. Thanks a lot!
If you can, record yourself.
Then listen to the track/improv and see what you like and what you dont like.
Write that shit down, listen to your favorite players and see what they are doing, then apply it to your playing.

Shit answer i know but it's the best i can come up with at 1.30 AM.
Use strange phrasing, it helps. Listen to Gilmours phrasing and how he takes no more than 3 notes sometimes and makes them into something totally awesome.
Quote by HMStratPlayer
I've been playing guitar for about 4 years. I'm really getting into the music community now, since I'm about to start college and there are other musicians who are serious about playing. I've been a headphone player for a while, and now that I'm playing with other people, I'd like to get some suggestions on how to get more creative with my improv soloing, as most of it sounds the same no matter where I play it. It all kind of sounds bluesy. So if it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to hear some tips on breaking the barriers of this box I seem to be stuck in. Thanks a lot!

Make them up beforehand, that's what i do, kinda learn from it when i wanna improvise
Quote by HMStratPlayer

Well it all comes down to just practicing improving for as much as you can. There are guitar players whose careers are based off the most simplest scales and there is so much you can do with just one scale. Practice improvising in key first and let your ear guide you as to other notes you might want to use. It really depends on the chord progression and what is going on in the harmony. Just have to practice a lot and use your ears. Don't let your fingers do the work.